Seton Hall University

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

12 February 2009 06:54

http://pirate.shu.edu/~wisterro/Medallion Images/Hazard Zet Forward.bmp

Gules, three crescents or, two above one, within a tressure flory counter flory or, on a chief argent a fess wavy azure; the crest three torteaux gules one above two on an open book proper above a torse alternately or and gules.

The Arms was designed by William F.J. Ryan and are based on the Seton Arms but the colours are reversed. The Wave is from the Arms of the Archdiocese of Newark. The Crest shows the Book of learning and the three roundels from the Arms of Bayley (the first Bishop of Newark James Roosevelt Bayley founded Seton Hall).

Picture and information from: http://pirate.shu.edu/~wisterro/Medallion/index.htm

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

13 February 2009 12:45

i think this is a first class educational coat of arms. only minimally does it touch on the normal educational symbols. it cleverly incorporates both Seton, the diocese and the first bishop. nice indeed. thanks Marcus.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

13 February 2009 13:57

Donnchadh;66571 wrote:

i think this is a first class educational coat of arms. only minimally does it touch on the normal educational symbols. it cleverly incorporates both Seton, the diocese and the first bishop. nice indeed. thanks Marcus.

I am in agreement with Dennis on the quality of the design. Thankfully no committee forced a lamp into the final design.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

13 February 2009 14:55

David Pritchard;66572 wrote:

Thankfully no committee forced a lamp into the final design.

I don’t know… I’m a little afraid that, with no lamp, someone’s going to trip over that fence around the crescents and fall into the river and drown.  You’d think a modern university would be sensitive to these things.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

13 February 2009 16:56

Reversing the colors from the "stem" Seton arms does avoid infringing on them—but are we sure that gold crescents on red aren’t an infringement on some other family’s arms?  Such a simple design is unlikely to have never been used before!  (oh that it were so easy…)

The double tressure also gives me pause…

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

15 February 2009 00:39

David, I agree…thank God no design by committee! (future nightmares in Irish armory blaze by in my mind! Oh well).

Mike, I can understand your pauses. But, doesn’t the chief difference them suitably in addition to the reversal of tincture and metal even if an offshoot of the main stem of Seton had the same reversal? Maybe not I guess. But, my first gut reaction is it does. Maybe I’m wrong.

I can see the reservation about the DTF best of all. And that is only because of my time at HSS where I’ve learned a great deal more about Scottish heraldry than I otherwise would including how important/special such a mark was and is. I still lean towards the OK as it is a nod to the Seton arms, but on this one I can see very well what you mean.

Joe, that was rather funny. I didn’t catch it at first, but after re-reading it I got it. Funny.