Barry University

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Total Posts:  255
Joined  06-01-2009

06 March 2009 20:19

Came across an interesting bit of heraldry at work today.  I work in a retail art supply store here in Florida and we have a policy of offering student and faculty discounts.  A woman from Barry University (located in Miami, Florida) showed me her instructor’s ID card today and it had a little picture of the CoA for the university on it.  I "Googled" it after work and found this.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/blueoceanbob/Heraldry/Barry_University.gif

Their website is located here.  Actually this is a link to the "history" page of their site.

Quote:

Originally conceptualized by the Most Reverend Patrick Barry, Bishop of St. Augustine, and Reverend Mother M. Gerald Barry, Prioress General of the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, plans for Barry College received active support from Reverend William Barry, Pastor of St. Patrick’s Church of Miami Beach, and John Thompson, Mayor of Miami Shores, Florida.

(That’s a lot of people with the surname "Barry" in there.  Not sure as to their relation to each other.)

Barry College became Barry University in 1981 and has remained "a private, Catholic institution with a history of academic excellence in the Dominican tradition."

Just thought I would share this fun little bit of heraldry I came across today.  :D I know it brightened my day a bit.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

06 March 2009 20:31
Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

06 March 2009 20:49

Michael, tried your link above and got a "404 File Not Found" error.  :(  But, as I was doing some more research I found this as well and thought I would add it.

http://www.herffjones.com/college/barry/ringhistory.cfm

It states, "The Barry shield is a combination of the coat of arms of Bishop Patrick Barry and the Dominican order. The three books symbolize the acquisition of knowledge. The Bishop’s escutcheon was moved to the dexter or right side of the shield, because in heraldry, this is the position of honor. The Dominican shield forms the sinister or left side of the shield and indicates that the University is a Dominican foundation."

Their "signet style" ring is actually attractive.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

06 March 2009 21:00

Robert Tucker;67190 wrote:

Michael, tried your link above and got a "404 File Not Found" error.  :(  But, as I was doing some more research I found this as well and thought I would add it.

Cut the link onto your address bar.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

07 March 2009 07:55

The shield appears to be a compromise between impalement and dimidiation. The revised Barry arms appear entinre on the dexter side while only half of the Dominican arms appear on the sinister.

It is also odd that the arms of the individual would be given primacy over the arms of the Dominican order.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

07 March 2009 12:09

Jay Bohn;67197 wrote:

It is also odd that the arms of the individual would be given primacy over the arms of the Dominican order.

Perhaps not so odd. The Barry arms represent the founder(s)/patron(s) of the university and so more the university itself. The Dominican arms represent merely an association the university has with that order. If the two arms were reversed, the shield would appear to represent a superior of the Dominican order.

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

07 March 2009 16:01

Jay, the difference you noted (between impalement and dimidiation) is intriguing.  I consulted James Parker’s Glossary of Terms, and it would seem that dimidiation would be the more correct way to describe the Barry University arms.  Bishop Barry’s arms are are thus:

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/blueoceanbob/Heraldry/BISHOP_Patrick_Barry.gif

So, the quartered half with the heart and arrow overall (representing the diocese of St. Augustine) has been left off, the shamrocks on the Barry arms replaced with open books and then only half of the Dominican arms is depicted. My understanding of "impalement" would be that the charges on the full field are condensed and placed on the half of the shield that it occupies when the field is parted per pale.  (Except in the cases of a bordure, orle, and treasure.)  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

07 March 2009 16:47

Here is the blazon on USHR:  http://usheraldicregistry.com/index.php?n=Registrations.20061031A

It’s the best I could do.

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

07 March 2009 19:11

Thanks for the link Michael.  wink