Committee on Heraldry, NEHGS

tmp617

tmp617
Total Posts:  111
Joined  19-09-2007

07 September 2008 22:02

I know a number of people on this forum have recorded their arms with the Committee on Heraldry of the New England Historic Genealogical Society.

I sent my application to have my arms recorded in the fall of last year, and received a very kind email in response from Mr. Beckwith, the Committee’s secretary.  He informed me that the Committee would be meeting in June of this year (I believe that was what he wrote, I’ve been hard pressed to dig up the email; in any case, the meeting was was no later than June of this year).  I emailed Mr. Beckwith more than a month ago to inquire if my arms had indeed been recorded, but have received no response.

My question is this: is this how the Committee operates?  Have those of you who have recorded your arms with them received any confirmation?  Would a letter get me further than an email, or should I just be patient?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

07 September 2008 22:48

The same thing happened to me, about three years ago.  If Mr. Beckwith told you your arms would be recorded at the June meeting, you can confidently assume that they were.  I got nothing in writing until a belated e-mail in response to my query confirming the fact.  I think Mr. Beckwith is rather elderly and doesn’t always keep up with the correspondence, but does seem to get the substantive work done very reliably.  You could also give him a telephone call if you have the number.  (I did, but have no idea where I put it.)

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

07 September 2008 22:53

My experience was about the same. I think you should just trust that they will take care of it. My arms were recorded by them around this time last year, so you may get an email notification from Mr. Beckwith any time now, but that is all it will be. The only thing I got from the NEHGS on paper was a thank-you for my $25 "donation" to the general Society (triggered by the recording fee, which must have been deposited into their unrestricted fund). I’m pretty sure that all the recording amounts to is creating a manila folder for your application and any emblazonments you might send them. No letters patent, alas!

A couple of other times, I’ve written Mr. Beckwith for an opinion on this or that heraldic question, and he has never replied any sooner than four weeks later. Lineage societies are the same way—any sense of urgency is anathema to them, basically. I find it endearingly old-fashioned.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

07 September 2008 23:00

P.S.—I forget just how this emerged, but some language in Mr. Beckwith’s first email to me indicated that, because the NEHGSCOH is mainly a repository for data on the use of arms by Americans (rather than a granting authority), you could change your arms by filling out a new application for recording, and they would simply add the new blazon to your file with a note to the effect that the earlier design had been nullified. Not that anyone here would ever want to do that, but I found the COH’s attitude/policy refreshingly . . . American, I guess.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

07 September 2008 23:03

The phone number is at this link.  But please remember the difference between a nonprofit archive and a commercial enterprise.  There really is not reason to call them, since all they do is place your arms in a file cabinet.  If they reject your arms, then you’ll get your check back or   you’ll eventually hear something.  Think in terms of months, not days.

http://makepeace.ca/nehgs/contact.html

tmp617

tmp617
Total Posts:  111
Joined  19-09-2007

08 September 2008 20:39

Thanks to all for the advice and comments.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

12 March 2009 19:59

Hello All,

I am a new forum participant here.

For those of you having experience with the NEHGS’s recording of your arms, does anyone know if this organization checks arms against any pre-existing outside of their own recorded files?

In other words, does submitting an original blazon following proper rules get rejected on the basis of conflict with existing arms they have not recorded themselves?

And, should an individual seeking to record their arms with this organization instead pursue a different entity to have legitimacy and originality checked for first?

Thankyou.

- Jeff

(Please forgive my ignorance, I am rather new to the idea of actually possessing my own coat of arms as a U.S. citizen).

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

12 March 2009 21:48

You guys are lucky.  I never received any acknowledgement of my application to register my arms with NEHGS.  All subsequent emails have gone unanswered.  I sent my application in about 3 years ago!

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

12 March 2009 22:04

eploy;67324 wrote:

You guys are lucky.  I never received any acknowledgement of my application to register my arms with NEHGS.  All subsequent emails have gone unanswered.  I sent my application in about 3 years ago!

smile

I sent mine back in September ‘08. Hopefully I’ll hear back from them before I die

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

12 March 2009 22:30

It seems from all posts before, and the most recent two just tonight, that registering arms with this organization would not be the most expeditious way to go about registering arms as a first step?

Perhaps the value with this organization would be gained from having arms occur on their roll due to their prestigiousness, however, getting confirmation that your arms don’t duplicate another "high profile" individual’s or entity’s arms doesn’t seem to be a service that you can depend on quickly enough to decide whether or not you may feel justified in adopting your intended composition.

I think I’ll just start with the US Registry site (since it’s free and states on their site that arms are checked against others) for now?

- Jeff

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

13 March 2009 00:31

Hey, Jeff!  Welcome to our humble forum!  :D You’re right to check out the USHR website.  Registration is free, and documentation is easily affordable.  It may not be quite as prestigeous as the NEHGS—yet—but you’ll get a much quicker response and quality prints.  The best part is that it’s run by our very own Michael Swanson!  :cool:

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

13 March 2009 00:47

JBGarrison;67327 wrote:

I think I’ll just start with the US Registry site (since it’s free and states on their site that arms are checked against others) for now?

Here, here!!!  :D

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

16 March 2009 01:34

I have been hesitant to register my arms with the NEHGS because of the lack of response that I have heard reported.  In addition, since their roll is not readily searchable, it seems to defeat the purpose of registering in the first place.

dulongj

dulongj
Total Posts:  18
Joined  17-11-2006

22 March 2009 17:10

It has been several years since I registered my arms with the NEHGS Committee on Heraldry.  If I recall correctly, in general they do not reply in any form to a registration nor are your arms recorded on a roll.  Your arms are just filed away in their archives.  The roll they publish contains arms used by Americans in the past; I forget the cut off data and criteria.  In any case, this is a very low key operation.  The value of it is that you can say you have your arms registered at yet another American location.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

23 March 2009 01:03

Welcome, Mr. Garrison!  Indeed, go with USHR.  It’s quick, painless, efficient…I could go on, but the "kick-backs" I get from Michael don’t warrent it!  wink  Actually, if you check out our armorial here, you will see quite a bit of Michael’s work.  By all means, order an emblazonment when you register; I am very confident you will be pleased with the results.  (It’s kind of like the old Rambler commercials:  Should I purchase a Rambler?  "Ask the man who owns one.")  Enjoy!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

25 March 2009 09:06

WBHenry;67765 wrote:

Welcome, Mr. Garrison!  Indeed, go with USHR.  It’s quick, painless, efficient…I could go on, but the "kick-backs" I get from Michael don’t warrent it!  :D Still, I can see the value of having NEHGS publishing a roll with Lib of Congress.  Though, if I understand rightly, USHR logs its blazons with other parties as well.