Seeking Boutell

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Total Posts:  255
Joined  06-01-2009

26 June 2009 19:59

Hello all, just wanted to ask a couple of questions.  I’m preparing for the IAAH Basic Heraldry Knowledge Exam… and as luck would have it, my 1914 Edition of "Boutell’s Heraldry" is not going to make the grade.  My first question is… where might I be able to obtain a 1983 Edition for a very reasonable price?  (Checked rather thoroughly on line and didn’t find a 1983 ed. for less than $100 US.)  I did find some very good copies of the 1973 Edition for much less.  That leads me to my second question, how different are the two editions?  Or the 1914 and the 1983 editions for that matter?

Thank you all,

Robert

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

26 June 2009 20:15

The ‘73 edition worked just fine for me.

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

27 June 2009 02:25

*sigh of relief*  Oh good.  That will save me some :10bux:.  Thank you Dale. :D

Barrie Burr

Barrie Burr
Total Posts:  169
Joined  23-05-2009

27 June 2009 05:06

Robert Tucker;70062 wrote:

Hello all, just wanted to ask a couple of questions.  I’m preparing for the IAAH Basic Heraldry Knowledge Exam… and as luck would have it, my 1914 Edition of "Boutell’s Heraldry" is not going to make the grade.  My first question is… where might I be able to obtain a 1983 Edition for a very reasonable price?  (Checked rather thoroughly on line and didn’t find a 1983 ed. for less than $100 US.)  I did find some very good copies of the 1973 Edition for much less.  That leads me to my second question, how different are the two editions?  Or the 1914 and the 1983 editions for that matter?

Thank you all,

Robert

Why would you bother with the IAAH exam. Are they the definitive organisation on heraldic matters….I don’t think so!!!! And luck has nothing to do with it…you either know things on heraldic matters or you do not know.

My Advice is…. read books, ask questions.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 June 2009 07:35

Barrie Burr;70066 wrote:

Why would you bother with the IAAH exam. Are they the definitive organisation on heraldic matters….I don’t think so!!!! And luck has nothing to do with it…you either know things on heraldic matters or you do not know.

Actually neither luck nor knowledge of heraldry has anything to do with it.  It’s an open book exam that tests only one’s ability to find the answers in the Boutell index.  Moreover, given that the I in IAAH stands for "international," you’d think that their examination would cover something more than English practice.  It doesn’t.

I agree with Barrie’s advice, and would add "write."  Find a topic that really interests and you and dig into it, research it, find the old journal articles (many available online now at archive.org and google books, among other places), and write up your findings.  Even if you never publish them, the process will teach you more about heraldry than the most complete mastery of the handbooks ever can.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

27 June 2009 08:20

I’m sorry, but I disagree.  I certainly don’t think the IAAH is definitive, nor do I agree wholeheartedly with their prevalent use of CoA guidelines and such - However…  I found the exam more difficult and time consuming for the newly initiated than I suspected as an open book exam.  I also found it kind of fun - that’s just me.

Additionally - If you intend to fully participate in the IAAH, working your way from Member to Fellow, taking the exam is one of the wickets you have to pass.  You’ll have a better founding in heraldry in general.  I often refer to Boutell’s when trying to write proper blazons.  I also look at AHS guidelines, go to the CHA site and read their blazons with arms, gander at Martin’s Cheshire Heraldry site (blazons and pictures together), etc…  Sometimes I just do random searches in google and come up with some pretty neat reading…

You must remember that there are differing practices in differing countries and they are sometimes in disagreement.  As long as you keep it in perspective, go ahead, read up and take the exam…  And also follow Barrie’s and Joseph’s advice.  Research, ask questions, write, etc…  It’s all good, there’s no reason to exclude the IAAH’s input or any others…

As an additional comment.  Take a look at the list of books on AHS and on IAAH’s site and go to Abe Books - there you can submit books you are looking for and they will e-mail you when one of their venders have them available.  I’m putting together a small collection as I go and have found several using Abe Books at very reasonable prices.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

27 June 2009 16:04

Barrie Burr;70066 wrote:

Barrie,

I agree that the test doesn’t really mean anything substantial.  However, it’s a decent way for someone relatively new to Heraldry to take stock of what they know and what they don’t know.  I looked at it as the equivalent of a self test an the end of a textbook.  It is perhaps a little overly-formalized the way it is currently approached, but it’s always helpful to know what you still need to learn to step it up a notch.

Dale

P.S.  Thank you for your email of a month or so ago letting me know that you emblazoned my arms.  I just got it last night, as that was the first time I tackled my spam folder in 2 months. :eek:

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

27 June 2009 19:20

Some very fine points have been brought up, and I agree with the majority of them.  For me the BHK exam is a benchmark.  I’m trying to assess my level of knowledge; to explore my strengths and weaknesses.  It has come time to test what I know… or think I know.  smile  The bit about the notifications for titles is pretty neat, didn’t know about that one yet.

I do feel that I have learned much from many fine people, here and elsewhere, and will continue to learn.  As Dale put it, it’s time to "step it up a notch."

Regards,

Robert

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

27 June 2009 20:23

Robert Tucker;70080 wrote:

I still like to hand write things (call me weird),

If you like to write by hand, may I suggest the heraldry examinations of the Heraldry Society (London).