your arms with the arms of schools, cities, etc

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

11 July 2009 14:21

I’ve been wondering for some time now how many people have their arms emblazoned with the arms of their colleges/universities/schools/cities/societies etc. I’ve seen several cases illustrated in the wonderful book on heraldic art by Anthony Wood. I’ll post a couple images here so you can see what I’m talking about. And for those who have arms emblazoned like this I invite you to share them with us, as I find it rather fresh, interesting to see arms like this.

Example 1: The armorial panel of Holyoake as emblazoned by Mr. Wood; they have the arms of the Heraldry Society of Scotland in the upper left, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in upper right, City of London in middle left, and the Heraldry Society in middle right. They can be found on lower left corner of pg. 89 of that book.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4783/anthonywoodbooktwoa.jpg

Example 2: The cover for the book has an attractive coat of arms emblazoned by Mr. Wood and also shows the armiger’s arms with six smaller shields surrounding the arms; they are Leeds university in upper left, Magistrates Assn. in upper right, Trinity Hall in middle left, Cambridge University in middle right, West Riding C.C. in lower left, and Dyer’s Company in lower right etc.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8881/anthonywoodthree.jpg

So, does anyone here have such an emblazonment? Want to share it?

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

11 July 2009 15:24

I had thought at one time of having a bookplate with the arms of my home town, my current town of residence (21 years now), my school and my university in the four corners. Unfortunately the "arms" of my school have never been matriculated and I can’t (at the moment) afford to do it as a gift to them.

Argent a representation of the Mercat cross of Turriff between in chief a garb and a cow’s head cabossed Gules (Burgh of Turriff)

Argent Sanctus Aegidius habited in his robes and mitred holding in his dexter hand a pastoral staff and in his left hand a clasped book all Proper

(City & Royal Burgh of Elgin)

Vert a Celtic cross calvary between in the flanks a serpent nowed contournee and a chick Or (Turriff Academy)

Quarterly 1st Azure a bough pot Or charged with three salmon in fret and containing as many lilies of the garden, the dexter in bud, the centre full blown, and the sinister half blown, all Proper, flowered Argent, issuant downwards from the middle chief, amid rays of the sun a dexter hand holding an open book, likewise Proper 2nd Argent a chief paly of six Or and Gules 3rd Argent a chevron Sable between three boars heads erased Gules 4th Gules a tower triple towered Argent masoned Sable windows and port of the Last (University of Aberdeen)

Unfortunately I’m not sure if my school would be happy with a gift of arms. The Rector (headmaster) who arrived just before I joined changed the school colours from Green and Gold to Blue and Silver, the former being too "Catholic" for him despite none of the locals (who unlike him didn’t come from the central belt of Scotland) realising this. The school is a Mary Queen of Scots foundation anyway, and still on this site she endowed to pay for the schoolmaster in 1564, but that meant nothing to him. Admittedly, he is long gone…

He didn’t do anything to change the school "badge" but it got dropped from the uniform, not only at the Academy but at the associated primary school that I attended.

James

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

11 July 2009 15:52

Well, it was a fashion here for a while to have signature bars of this sort, which I suppose are the internet forum form of heraldic bookplate.  I and some others still do.

In my case, from the dexter, the United States of America (my birth country), the City of New York (my birth city), Boston University (my undergraduate alma mater—my graduate alma mater does not have arms as such), the IAAH, and my arms.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

11 July 2009 19:29

James, sorry the headmaster had little respect for traditions; also sorry the badge has been dropped. That sort of historical short-sightedness always bothers me. But, maybe a gift as you were talking about would be a good thing even if they didn’t much appreciate it at first. Maybe it’s the sort of thing that would spur one person on to rediscovering a bit of the history of the old place, which could spur more on and so on. But, I have no idea what a matriculation in Scotland would be for a school. Probably too much I imagine. Still it’d be nice to see the other arms you’ve mentioned with yours as well. Maybe someday.

David, that’s great in the context of the MB. i think that is the sort of thing that is an "e" play on what Mr. Wood painted for these fellows. Do you have an emblazon outside of the signature bar with them? It’d be great to see if you did. smile

I for one like the practice as illustrated above. Kind of a heraldic biography…what would that be called… a heraldography, perhaps? lol. ok so that was goofy, but I do like the works like this.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

11 July 2009 23:54

Donnachadh,

In addition to the signature bar below, I created the following bookplate a few years ago that include the arms of Lindenwood University and Webster University. Lindenwood is my undergrad alma mater and Webster was my first grad school.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Heraldry/EL2.jpg

Take care,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

12 July 2009 02:09

great! i think that’s awesome. very nicely done. thanks for sharing. smile

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

12 July 2009 11:11

Donnchadh;70373 wrote:

David, that’s great in the context of the MB. i think that is the sort of thing that is an "e" play on what Mr. Wood painted for these fellows. Do you have an emblazon outside of the signature bar with them? It’d be great to see if you did. smile

Afraid not, Denny.  My artistic ‘skills’ reach their limit at the level of message board signature bars.  In addition, I am lucky that the shields are not too complex, and therefore are still recognizable at a 30x30 (or so) pixel size.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

12 July 2009 12:00

in doing some looking into the heraldry of the palce of my birth, i came across something that caught my heraldic eye. i was born on Ft. Belvoir and in reading a piece on the history of Ft. Belvoir i found out about the Fairfax lords. in this little piece is an image of Lord Fairfax’s arms. around those arms appears to be a rosary, which really caught me off guard. please visit this site and look for yourselves and let me know if you think i’m off my rocker or if it is a rosary. and if it is has anyone ever seen a British Peer’s achievement with a rosary encircling it?

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/history.asp?id=17C

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/images/history/17th.h2.gif

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

12 July 2009 12:22

This is not a rosary, Denny.  This is just a fancy floral garland. In fact I believe they are very small laurel branches.  Being from Fairfax and have seen many Fairfax arms, I can assure you it is not a rosary. In fact, I am pretty sure the Fairfax family is a protestant one.  The current Lord Fairfax came and gave a speech in one of the Fairfax celebrations, a couple of years back.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 July 2009 15:04

Hassan is correct. The Fairfaxes were very much a Protestant family. The 2nd and 3rd Lord Fairfaxes, in fact, were both generals on the Parliamentary side in the English Civil War. The male members of the family were prominent in the Anglican church in northern Virginia, indeed almost ex officio members of the vestry in the various parishes in which they resided, and Bryan, 8th Lord Fairfax, was an Anglican parson, rector of Christ Church in Alexandria (of which Washington was a vestryman).

By the way, I don’t think the arms shown are actually those of the proprietor of Belvoir, William Fairfax, but of his cousin, Thomas 6th Lord Fairfax. Thomas’s seat was Greenway Court in Clarke County, in the Shenandoah Valley, where he died in 1781. The 2nd and 3rd quarters are, I believe, those of Colepeper (or Culpeper), Argent a bend engrailed Gules,, Thomas’s mother’s family.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

12 July 2009 17:00

Ah, I see. Thank you both gentlemen. Sorry about the wee departure there…but looking into the arms of places like my birth, where I live, etc I just happened upon it. I couldn’t quite tell, though I now do have to wear a stupid pair of glasses to see and I wasn’t wearing them, so maybe that’s why I couldn’t. Thanks for the info.

Do either of you have an achievement with some other shields on it in a biographical manner like Mr. Wood has painted?

On a side note, sorry mods for doing this again, does anyone have any books on Virginia they’d recommend I read? I’ve been raised all my life, well the part I can remember, in Colorado, but I was born in Virginia…so I should learn something about the place I think. Especially heraldry related books dealing with Virginia. Thanks.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

12 July 2009 19:27

Donnchadh;70395 wrote:

On a side note, sorry mods for doing this again, does anyone have any books on Virginia they’d recommend I read? I’ve been raised all my life, well the part I can remember, in Colorado, but I was born in Virginia…so I should learn something about the place I think. Especially heraldry related books dealing with Virginia. Thanks.

For Virginia heraldry, you want William Armstrong Crozier’s Virginia Heraldica.  I think it may be on Google books by now.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

12 July 2009 20:21

To me the cirlclet around the arms appears to be a Rosary. Despite the baronial coronet, are we really certain that these arms are not mistakenly the arms of the Viscounts Fairfax of Emley who were strong and very active Roman Catholics rather than those of their Protestant cousins, the Lords Fairfax of Cameron? Would the eldest son of a Viscount Fairfax of Emley, use a baronial coronet by courtesy in his own arms?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

12 July 2009 20:28

I don’t know about the Fairfaxes of Emley, but the supporters in the arms Denny provided are definitely those of Fairfax of Cameron, and would the Emley family have the Culpeper quartering?  The 6th Lord Fairfax’s mother was definitely a heraldic heiress; that’s how he got sole title to the entire 5-million acre Northern Neck of Virginia.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

12 July 2009 23:27

I’m sorry to interrupt the Fairfax discussion.  But I went searching for arms of my alma maters as well as the place of my birth with rather disappointing results thus far.

Naval Post Graduate School has an emblem which, is, well sort of heraldic I guess:

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/kamcclurg/Reference Material/nps_logo_150-1.jpg

Purdue University’s first seal has a shield in it, but is not styled as "arms" per se - I’ve asked their library if they can get a better image or blazon for the shield:

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/pada,222

Their more recent seal is not much more than graphic art:

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/pada,221

Harborcreek High School has a very familiar face still in use:

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/kamcclurg/Reference Material/harborcreek_hs_logo-1.jpg

And the Harborcreek Township appears to use yet another design:

http://www.harborcreektownship.org/

So, it looks like the best I’ll ever do with these is my arms surrounded by graphics. - A bit of a bummer.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

16 July 2009 15:28

thanks Joe. i found the book on google books. in case anyone is interested, here’s the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nk4SAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Virginia+Heraldica

Kathy, the one is kinda close…but i understand as my college uses a logo…my HS has one…and we made one for my Catholic grade school/junior high almamater…but not much else at all. oh well. guess if i ever did this i could use the USA, Colorado, my Catholic almamater and my HS as well…but i dunno.