Ted Kennedy’s Knighthood

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 March 2009 20:48

Fr. Guy - "Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf was made a KCB as well."

Maybe better as a d=separate thread, but does Stormin’ Norman have heraldic arms?

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

31 August 2009 15:09

I was in Harvard and Boston this last few days and paid my respects at the JFK library and was slightly disappointed not to notice any hatchment or other heraldic display for the late Senator but I suppose it is understandable. I hope some modest heraldic memorial can be arranged.

Derek Howard

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

31 August 2009 16:15

I believe the grant is in the John F Kennedy Library and Museum amongst other gifts the President had received.  I do not think that the family was ever keen on using the arms, and can not recall ever a situation where the family has displayed them.

Although, searching on Wikipedia, America’s no. 1 source for anything, the John Kennedy article did not even mention his arms.  Perhaps this could be something of a project for our Society, adding to the articles of famous arms wielding Americans what information and images may be provided to increase the awareness of heraldry in an American context.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

31 August 2009 16:25

xanderliptak;71416 wrote:

Perhaps this could be something of a project for our Society, adding to the articles of famous arms wielding Americans what information and images may be provided to increase the awareness of heraldry in an American context.

That is a laudable goal and one that fits right with (one of) our reasons for existence.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

31 August 2009 16:28

Alexander,

That’s a great idea, and frankly one I’m surprised we haven’t come up with before.  Kinda like those old V8 commercials…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

31 August 2009 16:41

xanderliptak;71416 wrote:

I believe the grant is in the John F Kennedy Library and Museum amongst other gifts the President had received. I do not think that the family was ever keen on using the arms, and can not recall ever a situation where the family has displayed them.

Although, searching on Wikipedia, America’s no. 1 source for anything, the John Kennedy article did not even mention his arms. Perhaps this could be something of a project for our Society, adding to the articles of famous arms wielding Americans what information and images may be provided to increase the awareness of heraldry in an American context.

What do you have in mind beyond:

- picture of the grant document

- picture of signet ring given to JFK by his wife

- picture of armorial flag placed atop Mt. Kennedy in Canada by RFK?

All depicted on or linked from our article on the arms of JFK, http://americanheraldry.org/pages/index?n=President.Kennedy

What am I not understanding here?

John Mck

John Mck
Total Posts:  151
Joined  12-07-2009

31 August 2009 16:46

Joseph McMillan;71424 wrote:

What do you have in mind beyond:

- picture of the grant document

- picture of signet ring given to JFK by his wife

- picture of armorial flag placed atop Mt. Kennedy in Canada by RFK?

All depicted on or linked from our article on the arms of JFK, http://americanheraldry.org/pages/index?n=President.Kennedy

What am I not understanding here?

A lot more traffic goes to Wikipedia than to us - thus, higher exposure?

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

31 August 2009 16:58

Perhaps instead of duplicating the well-researched articles by Joseph on Wikipedia, we could add links to the Wikipedia articles to direct some of that traffic our way?  However, at this point we are off-topic.  Maybe a moderator could split this off of the thread and create a new one?

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

31 August 2009 16:59

Joe,

I don’t necessarily think that we’d be providing any new information that isn’t already available on our site, so much as providing it in a new venue.

From our own main page…
Quote:

The American Heraldry Society was founded to study and promote the proper use of heraldry in America. The Society seeks to educate the American public about the art and practices related to personal and organizational heraldry and to promote legal protections against usurpation of coats of arms in this country.

A short paragraph or two summarizing the main points from our own site could serve not only to educate those who read it, but may also drive a few people to the forum who may be interested in Heraldry.  It might not, but it’s free for us to do.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

31 August 2009 17:06

I would think a considerably shortened piece about their heraldry with perhaps one picture citing our website as the reference and then including the AHS page in the extended resources at the bottom of the page.

The idea would be to provide some information where folks are going (in this case Wikipedia) to get general information on these people and then linking to the more extensive information on our site.

I would think we would be likely to get more hits from people looking on Wikipedia for information on John F. Kennedy than people who are looking for information on either heraldry or who are searching for JFK’s arms (which most probably don’t know he had).

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

31 August 2009 17:08

Yes, adding heraldic texts to articles on Wikipedia would give more visibility to heraldry than an article here on the AHS because more people search for, say, ‘George Washington’ than ‘the coat of arms of George Washington.’  Then, someone that had no interest to even look up heraldry would be exposed to it.

Or is Mr. McMillian referring to my statement of the Kennedy arms do not seem to be in much use?  Yes, John and Robert Kennedy made use of the arms, but that was some half century ago now.  Perhaps there is just not the public display of the arms, or there is no interest to photograph or write out examples of the arms without John or Robert Kennedy using them, but the more than forty year time frame does tend to lead one to believe that the arms fell to the wayside in the family.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

31 August 2009 17:41

Ah… I misunderstood the passage

Quote:

Although, searching on Wikipedia, America’s no. 1 source for anything, the John Kennedy article did not even mention his arms. Perhaps this could be something of a project for our Society, adding to the articles of famous arms wielding Americans what information and images may be provided to increase the awareness of heraldry in an American context.

I didn’t realize you meant adding to the Wikipedia articles; I thought you meant adding information and images to our articles.

Worth a discussion in the members section, perhaps, since it’s being proposed as a society project.  I’ll defer substantive comment to that discussion.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

31 August 2009 22:30

I didn’t see a start of the thread in member’s only - but I do think it’s worth a serious discussion - we could display on Wikki (maybe include comment on source documentation) and provide reference links back to our pages.  Great way to approach an audience researching individuals and/or heraldry in the US at the same time…

For those that are also on the USHR, we could link there as well…

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

01 September 2009 18:36

On a related note, has anyone ever seen the use of a comital coronet either in conjunction with a coat-of-arms or a cypher by Sen. Kennedy’s late mother Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy who was created a Papal Countess by Pope Pius XII in 1951?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

09 October 2009 18:53

The idea of updating articles about prominent, armigerous Americans is outstanding! I just had to get my endorsement in before the thread is moved to the members area.

Though I do plan on signing up some day. Not really sure what’s keeping me. Perhaps it’s hard to justify to the wife. Oh well.

Anyways… putting the society out there like this would be extremely beneficial for the society and the public at large.

Good luck! I’d be happy to help!