Heraldry in American Literature

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

15 September 2009 00:21

As the AHS pursues its mission of documenting sources of heraldic tradition in the United States and its predecessor entities (viz., the thirteen colonies), it might be of interest to some members to build a catalog of references to heraldry in American literature. This is a somewhat indirect testament to the historic status and traditions of American heraldry, but may have relevance nonetheless.

I offer a first entry:
Quote:

It was the recollection of those memorable words of his,—‘I’ll try, Sir!’—spoken on the very verge of a desperate and heroic enterprise, and breathing the soul and spirit of New England hardihood, comprehending all perils, and encountering all. If, in our country, valor were rewarded by heraldic honor, this phrase—which it seems so easy to speak, but which only he, with such a task of danger and glory before him, has ever spoken—would be the best and fittest of all mottoes for the General’s shield of arms.

Nathaniel Hawthorne, in "The Custom House" from The Scarlet Letter, p. 16

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 September 2009 07:02

Nice find, Fred. Hawthorne seems to have been something of a closet heraldist; the ending of The Scarlet Letter also has heraldic references.

And of course there’s Huck Finn’s designing of a coat of arms for Jim, which has been mentioned in these forums some time back.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

15 September 2009 07:30

Joseph McMillan;71855 wrote:

...which has been mentioned in these forums some time back.

As has Poe’s The Cask of Amontillado.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 September 2009 09:38

From Longfellow’s "The Wayside Inn" (1862), set in the Howe Tavern in Sudbury, Mass.:

But first the Landlord will I trace :

Grave in his aspect and attire ;

A man of ancient pedigree,

A Justice of the Peace was he,

Known in all Sudbury as "The Squire."

Proud was he of his name and race,

Of old Sir William and Sir Hugh,

And in the parlor, full in view,

His coat-of-arms, well framed and glazed,

Upon the wall in colors blazed ;

He beareth gules upon his shield,

A chevron argent in the field,

With three wolfs heads, and for the crest

A Wyvern part-per-pale addressed

Upon a helmet barred; below

The scroll reads, "By the name of Howe."

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

16 September 2009 23:59

Dale Challener Roe;71856 wrote:

As has Poe’s The Cask of Amontillado.

We actually had the chance to read that in an English class, where someone mentioned the coat of arms to be so unrealistic it was humourous.  It was described as a snake biting a foot’s heel, and I guess it was the foot that she took issue with.  I told her feet were used in heraldry, to which she responded, "I don’t think so."

There seems to be the stereotype of unicorns and dragons in "real" heraldry.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

17 September 2009 00:41

Joseph McMillan;71855 wrote:

Nice find, Fred. Hawthorne seems to have been something of a closet heraldist; the ending of The Scarlet Letter also has heraldic references.

And of course there’s Huck Finn’s designing of a coat of arms for Jim, which has been mentioned in these forums some time back.

Yeah, the "crest, a runaway n—ger" passage is a hoot. I’m teaching an American lit survey this year, so I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for choice excerpts.

Recently read Louis Auchincloss’s The Rector of Justin and think I came across something, but failed to dogear the page. Zut!

John Mck

John Mck
Total Posts:  151
Joined  12-07-2009

17 September 2009 11:35

Not "Literature" per se, but there’s a Terry Pratchett novel that has a passage about heraldic painting. It’s very funny. I can’t remember which of his books it is.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

17 September 2009 12:23

John Mck;71933 wrote:

Not "Literature" per se, but there’s a Terry Pratchett novel that has a passage about heraldic painting. It’s very funny. I can’t remember which of his books it is.

John,

I’ll disagree on that Pratchett isn’t literature…I’ll just say that he’s not fully appreciated yet.  Although, sadly for this topic, he isn’t American.

Moving on though…I’m not sure if this is the heraldic joke you’re referring to, but it’s a passage from Going Postal…

Quote:

Moist was aware that a black coach had drawn up at the rear of the crowd. There was no coat of arms on the door, unless you were in on the secret, which was that Lord Vetinari’s coat of arms featured a sable shield. Black on black. You had to admit that the bastard had style-

He makes similar jokes in other books.  I’m not sure if this is the first of them or not.  And somewhere in one of them, the armigerous character in question gives a much more detailed description of his arms, but everything is sable so nothing is visible.

John Mck

John Mck
Total Posts:  151
Joined  12-07-2009

17 September 2009 18:35

Dale Challener Roe;71935 wrote:

John,

I’ll disagree on that Pratchett isn’t literature…I’ll just say that he’s not fully appreciated yet.  Although, sadly for this topic, he isn’t American.

Moving on though…I’m not sure if this is the heraldic joke you’re referring to, but it’s a passage from Going Postal…

He makes similar jokes in other books.  I’m not sure if this is the first of them or not.  And somewhere in one of them, the armigerous character in question gives a much more detailed description of his arms, but everything is sable so nothing is visible.

There’s a passage wherein a character goes to have a painting made of his arms. So, instead of painting the supporters from memory, the artist goes to the barnyard to get two live animals to pose for him. One of them at least is an elephant.

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

07 May 2018 01:33

kate spade outlet online
pandora jewelry outlet
canada goose jacket
fitflops sale clearance
adidas originals
canada goose
pandora jewelry outlet