Building My Heraldry Reference Library

Vires Per Ego

Vires Per Ego
Total Posts:  35
Joined  17-01-2010

31 January 2010 08:14

I`m just beginning here and it is going to take time but I found some excellent bargains on amazon.

I ordered the following volumes:

"The Complete Book of Heraldry:An International History of Heraldry and Its Contemporary Uses" by Stephen Slater Used-Like New condition(hardback) @ $7.25 +shipping.

"Heraldic Design:Its Origins,Ancient Forms and Modern Usage" [Dover Pictorial Archive Series] by Hubert Allcock Used-Like New condition(paperback) @ $7.03 +shipping

"An Introduction to Heraldry" by Stefan Oliver Brand New (hardcover) @ $2.99 +shipping

I am excited to finally get some of my own reference books to enjoy and learn from. Amazon has some excellent prices on high quality/new books(which is a godsend for a single dad on a budget).

VPE

Peter Harling

Peter Harling
Total Posts:  87
Joined  19-11-2009

31 January 2010 14:29

Well done VPE. Books are certainly nice to have, even though the information is readily available here on the net. Amazon are a brilliant source of second hand books, you certainly don’t need to buy new.

Might I recommend that when you can afford, you purchase a copy of "Boutell’s Heraldry" it really is an excellent work and one that is recommended for any novice who is interested in serious heraldry study, as I suspect you are, LOL.

Regards ..................  Peter

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

31 January 2010 14:53

I feel like a broken record (for those who remember what that is), but exploration of the AHS website outside the confines of the forum can pay dividends, both for the user and for the society.

Our Basic Heraldic Bookshelf at http://americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Books.Bibliography not only provides recommendations, but if you buy selected volumes from Amazon by linking from our site, the AHS gets a cut of the proceeds.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

31 January 2010 19:49

Joseph McMillan;74672 wrote:

I feel like a broken record ....

Please keep up the reminders…Please keep up the reminders…Please keep up the reminders…

Farsot

Farsot
Total Posts:  80
Joined  23-10-2009

01 February 2010 07:47

Just watch out, I recently purchased a used copy of Boutell’s from a seller on Amazon listing the quality as "very good".  When it showed up, I discovered about 10 pages were ripped out, found another last night that was ripped out also, so there may be more.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

01 February 2010 09:02

that’s terrible Gregory! i would be soooooo peeved (insert more accurate word).

Farsot

Farsot
Joined  23-10-2009

01 February 2010 09:07

Just imagine how I felt.  Needless to say, I left a slightly negative feed back for that seller.

Peter Harling

Peter Harling
Total Posts:  87
Joined  19-11-2009

01 February 2010 10:21

Could you not return the book? Most UK book sellers selling via Amazon(UK), are happy to accept returns under those, or in fact any circumstance, if the customer is unhappy with the purchase.

Regards ..............  Peter

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

01 February 2010 21:34

Farsot;74696 wrote:

Needless to say, I left a slightly negative feed back for that seller.

I would have given the vendor a chance to rectify the situation at his cost of course (i.e., packaging and return postage).

Farsot

Farsot
Joined  23-10-2009

02 February 2010 07:28

eploy;74710 wrote:

I would have given the vendor a chance to rectify the situation at his cost of course (i.e., packaging and return postage).

I felt it prudent to let other buyers know that the potentiality was there for a less than acceptable item to be sold to them, regardless of whether or not the seller would have refunded my money.  The seller only had the one copy, and it only cost $1.70 plus shipping (I think the total was around $5), so money was clearly not the issue.

Vires Per Ego

Vires Per Ego
Joined  17-01-2010

04 February 2010 13:43

OOPS! I mistakenly listed amazon as the source from which I purchased my books when,in actuality,it was half.com(an ebay company).I will keep in mind the AHS`s links to amazon if,and when,I do purchase any heraldry books from that site.

VPE

(Hos)

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

06 February 2010 07:27

I’ve found AbeBooks to be very useful as well when a book is hard to find you can put an ongoing search there and they notify you when it’s available.

Amazon links first, AbeBooks search second.

Also Google had digitized a huge number of out of print books which is great.

Vires Per Ego

Vires Per Ego
Joined  17-01-2010

06 February 2010 08:25

Thank you for the advice,Kathy. I`ll bookmark Abebooks.com.

I received "An Introduction to Heraldry" by Stefan Oliver(1987) yesterday and it looks promising.On skimming through the book it appears to be consice and well-organized.The illustrations and photos show nice examples of the source material.

For only $11.00 out the door I feel I got a nice beginner`s reference book here. smile

VPE