New Reverse for penny

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

25 February 2010 02:03

Looks like this is fait accompli…. but have you seen the new reverse for the penny….logoism strikes again!

http://usmint.gov/mint_programs/lincolnRedesign/

Dave

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

25 February 2010 10:28

DRShorey;75250 wrote:

Looks like this is fait accompli…. but have you seen the new reverse for the penny….logoism strikes again!

Dave

It’s not great, but it could be worse, I suppose. At least there is some historical significance to the "Union shield" and the era in which Lincoln lived.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

25 February 2010 11:16

yes, not perfect, maybe even not preferable, but i agree it could’ve been worse. i see it as more quasi-heraldic than logoism. when i think of logoism i think of the trend we’ve seen recently in the Vancouver heraldry thread. but, that’s me and i haven’t had my coffee yet this a.m. wink

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

25 February 2010 11:20

Donnchadh;75261 wrote:

i see it as more quasi-heraldic than logoism.

Maybe that’s worse…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

25 February 2010 11:44

DRShorey;75250 wrote:

Dave

I agree with others that this is not so bad.  If they had just put "E pluribus unum" above the shield instead of on the chief, it would be pure heraldry.

Of course, one could wish they’d worked from the reverse of the penny that was being minted when Lincoln became President:

http://metaldetectorforcoincollecting.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/1861-cent-reverse.jpg

Move the heraldic shield (which is a correct rendering of the US arms) from the top to the center as the main charge, surrounded by the wreath of oaks, olives, and arrows (or change it to only olives and arrows) and put ONE CENT in an arc along the top where the shield is on the old penny.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

25 February 2010 12:37

The discussion of the new Danish coin has been moved to the Foreign Arms section of the Forum under the title "New Danish Coin Minted" because this area is for discussion of US Government Heraldry. So references to "Ronny’s design" or to "Denmark" which may remain here (because I didn’t want to get into editing individual posts) will make much more sense if you also view the other thread.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

25 February 2010 12:54

He he, I expected that and posted two separate messages (and indeed, one has been moved)... But it is a pity that Ronny’s tactful effort to humour the saddened audience does not work anymore smile

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

25 February 2010 17:50

I don’t think it’s so bad either.  Actually I think it’s kind of nice to see some coin heraldry in the United States.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

25 February 2010 21:13

Michael Y. Medvedev;75267 wrote:

He he, I expected that and posted two separate messages (and indeed, one has been moved)... But it is a pity that Ronny’s tactful effort to humour the saddened audience does not work anymore smile

Not at all. But in the correct place.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

26 February 2010 07:13

gselvester;75266 wrote:

The discussion of the new Danish coin has been moved to the Foreign Arms section of the Forum under the title "New Danish Coin Minted" because this area is for discussion of US Government Heraldry. So references to "Ronny’s design" or to "Denmark" which may remain here (because I didn’t want to get into editing individual posts) will make much more sense if you also view the other thread.

i wanted to help out, so i edited that out of my post to help with the continuity of the thread as is. smile