Tabards—Just for fun

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

07 March 2010 04:39

Dear Joseph, thank you for posting that image again.

I would use a golden helmet for a Sovereign armiger; but there is a logic in assigning a simple helmet to a Sovereign state, showing that any public bodies up to the Federation are not essentially higher than a singular human being.

BTW as a Scot and an admirer of medieval armory, you used a helmet which is seen in Germany (and some other parts of the Old World) as an attribute of an Uradel. Taking in consideration the amount of Americans of Middle-European descent, it would be maybe better to use a tilting one, how do you think? wink

Guy Power;75411 wrote:

Hokay ... how’s about for the PRK?

Dear Guy, no proper arms - no tabard, I am afraid… Strictly speaking, the State seal displays only one element which may be interpreted as a coat of arms - that is, Or a winged head of Medusa Ppr.

But California deserves better, does not she?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

07 March 2010 10:04

Michael Y. Medvedev;75420 wrote:

Dear Joseph, thank you for posting that image again.

I would use a golden helmet for a Sovereign armiger; but there is a logic in assigning a simple helmet to a Sovereign state, showing that any public bodies up to the Federation are not essentially higher than a singular human being.

BTW as a Scot and an admirer of medieval armory, you used a helmet which is seen in Germany (and some other parts of the Old World) as an attribute of an Uradel. Taking in consideration the amount of Americans of Middle-European descent, it would be maybe better to use a tilting one, how do you think?

I should have given the background—it was prompted by one of those acrimonious discussions on rec.heraldry or somewhere in which the usual parties asserted that the crest of the U.S. arms isn’t a proper crest because it could not be mounted on a medieval knight’s helmet, and inspired by a picture from one of the early armorials (the style of which I copied in the helm and mantling) showing that many early crests were flat plates in flamboyant shapes.

If I had time and enough confidence in my ability to draw knights and horses, however, a fun follow-up to tabards might be doing the US and state arms in the mode of the Golden Fleece armorial.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

07 March 2010 11:53

Dear Joseph,

It is nice enough (as all you do) to avoid unnecessary compliments. As a real crabbit, may I wonder instead, why did you insert the wreath? Indeed it was prudent to demonstrate it to the mixed audience, but entre nous its presence is hardly justified.

As to the equestrian image, it probably would be more appropriate to emblazon it with the Presidential crest (as below… excuse me for a rough hastily-made drawing).

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sPiVp5N3GVk/S5PWKW-l21I/AAAAAAAAA-Y/PcclkSM5Y3E/s288/Фото0522.jpg

P.S. The vice-presidential crest looks identical - but the two crests of office may be made distinct by filling the space between the rays with Az for President, and either using Arg or leaving the space void for Vice-President.

It seems that if these crests may be borne, as a matter of courtesy, by ex-incumbents, this would solve some [theoretical] problems previously discussed in this Forum.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

07 March 2010 13:06

Considering the state our state is in, I’m surprised we’re still using a virgin goddess.

Remember this proposed design for the California state quarter? Go here:

http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/californ.html

Scroll down to "Other finalists in internet poll." and look at the design in the second row down, far right.

We gave up that hottie for dour ol’ John Muir.  Shame on California, I say.

Perhaps we need a "Hottest Girl on an Heraldic Device" thread.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

07 March 2010 13:23

Michael Y. Medvedev;75425 wrote:

Dear Joseph,

It is nice enough (as all you do) to avoid unnecessary compliments. As a real crabbit, may I wonder instead, why did you insert the wreath?

I think probably because the picture I was working from had one, but I don’t remember for sure.  Maybe to give an opportunity to work both red and blue into the livery colors.

Quote:

As to the equestrian image, it probably would be more appropriate to emblazon it with the Presidential crest (as below… excuse me for a rough hastily-made drawing).

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sPiVp5N3GVk/S5PWKW-l21I/AAAAAAAAA-Y/PcclkSM5Y3E/s288/Фото0522.jpg

My rough and hastily made pictures should look so good!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

08 March 2010 11:45

Joseph Staub;75426 wrote:

Considering the state our state is in, I’m surprised we’re still using a virgin goddess.

Remember this proposed design for the California state quarter? Go here:

http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/californ.html

Scroll down to "Other finalists in internet poll." and look at the design in the second row down, far right.

We gave up that hottie for dour ol’ John Muir.  Shame on California, I say.

Perhaps we need a "Hottest Girl on an Heraldic Device" thread.

http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/californ/coin12_lg.gif

Hubba-hubba!

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

08 March 2010 18:44

I think Eureka Herald is a good name for the California Herald.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

13 March 2010 19:21

kimon;74405 wrote:

Since we’re a republic, how about taking Michael’s suggestion and calling them "Governors". So, the primary could be "Washington Governor of Arms"

Why not just "Chief Herald of the United States", who could then be assited by a couple of "Deputy Cheif Heralds" if you wish, and by a team of other heralds and pursuivants.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

14 March 2010 12:35
gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

14 March 2010 12:56

eeeeew

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

14 March 2010 13:02

gselvester;75477 wrote:

eeeeew

As Glenda would ask, is that a good eeeew or a bad eeeew?

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

14 March 2010 13:27

leaning toward bad

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

14 March 2010 14:00

gselvester;75480 wrote:

leaning toward bad

For the arms, I hope…

http://americanheraldry.org/pages/uploads/State/us-de.gif

...and not the tabard specifically.

(Or is it a comment on the state?)

Caledonian

Caledonian
Total Posts:  153
Joined  13-09-2011

06 October 2011 20:19

It is my understanding that heraldic tabbards or surcoats were worn in the Middle Ages by armored knights as a means of displaying their armorial bearings (hence the term "coat of arms") for the purpose of identification. Does anyone know if this custom was current through the development of full plate armor?

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

19 October 2011 20:22

OK, jumping in late with the Lone Star Herald.

[ATTACH]955[/ATTACH]