Exciting NEW Project Launched!!

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

13 October 2008 07:40

In 2007 renowned heraldic artist, Andrew Jamieson had an idea to produce a book. A magnificent, monumental vellum codex, showing the coats of arms of all the Popes from Innocent III to His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, Gloriosamente Regnante. The book (The Saint Peter Codex) will be in three sections. The first will contain title, and dedication pages, prayers and a chapter on the traditions of heraldry in the Catholic Church. The second will contain paintings of the arms of the Popes one per page each one set within a unique and beautifully decorated border and finally a Roll of Honour listing the names of all the Principal Donors who made the work possible. It will be one of the largest heraldic books produced since the Middle Ages. It will use approximately 60 calf skins, and nearly one hundred grams of 23c gold paint.

Andrew who is herald painter to the British Association of the Sovereign, Military and Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta approached Officers of the Order to ask if they might become Principal Patrons of the work. In April 2008, HMEH The Prince and Grand Master of the Order of Malta, Fra Matthew Festing agreed to be a Principal Patron along with His Grace the Archbishop of Glasgow, the Most Reverend, Mario Conti.

The work will be paid for by Principal Donors. Each Donor will have their names inscribed in a Roll of Honour in the final section of the book, that their names may bear witness, through centuries to come, of their generosity and patronage of this important and historic work of art and as a testament to their enduring support and the importance of the continual Grace and Majesty of the Office of the Holy Father in Rome.

The website for the St. peter Codex can be found at: http://www.saintpetercodex.com

Oh, and they found some priest to help advice them on heraldic matters but his name escapes me at the moment.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

13 October 2008 07:59

Sounds like a truly magnificent undertaking.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

13 October 2008 08:39

Indeed it is. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to see the final outcome some day

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

13 October 2008 10:08

gselvester;63921 wrote:

Oh, and they found some priest to help advice them on heraldic matters but his name escapes me at the moment.

Though he labors in humble anonymity, I have no doubt his contribution is valued. wink

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

16 October 2008 22:09

A Pope story.

I have a letter from the Vatican, which my friends commonly just refer to as my Pope letter.  A girl saw it, since it has the tiara and keys and looks very formal, asked what the letter is.  A friend replied that it was a letter from the Pope.  "The Pope… of America?" was her response.

:-D Californians are cool.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

25 October 2008 21:01

Nice story, dear Alexander. There is actually a good old tradition behind this attitude. One may recall the "Globe of Britain" as represented on the celeberrimus Wilton dyptich [*].

[*] One who so far had no occasion to pay proper attention to this marvellous detail, may visit the following page http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/paintingflowers/zoom/wilton_diptych/img.shtml?2_1x2

and to check the flagpole top, which consists of a cross-topped globe bearing a lovely white island surrounded by dark vawes.

Frank Martinoff

Frank Martinoff
Total Posts:  249
Joined  04-10-2008

08 December 2008 01:50

Yeap,

they asked me once if we have elevators in Germany

They believed my girlfriend that in Poland they have polar bears as pets,

they said Poland??? .....what bridge do I have to cross to get there!

:(

And so on and so on!

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

13 May 2010 17:37

Unfortunately, due to lack of support and lack of funds Andrew Jamieson has decided to discontinue the project for the St. Peter Codex.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

14 May 2010 02:14

this is a bummer. i’d read this on FB when he posted it. sad. any possibility of him picking up the project again? or is it done, done?

Peter Harling

Peter Harling
Total Posts:  87
Joined  19-11-2009

14 May 2010 04:58

It is unfortunate that such an historic, monumental work has had to be discontinued due to lack of financial support. Sadly it is a sign of the times ....... lack of funds! .......... I would have been quite happy to purchase the ‘soft back’ edition, lol.

Regards ..............  Peter

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

14 May 2010 09:43

Father Guy,

That is most disappointing.  Does he have enough material for at least a more modest volume?

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

15 May 2010 19:55

Well, it would not be the first book to be begun and ended prematurely.  So, perhaps in the tradition of many such heraldic manuscripts, hours, Holy Bibles and so forth, the book will be completed in due time and by many artists.

Frank Martinoff

Frank Martinoff
Total Posts:  249
Joined  04-10-2008

04 June 2010 20:16

gselvester;76515 wrote:

Unfortunately, due to lack of support and lack of funds Andrew Jamieson has decided to discontinue the project for the St. Peter Codex.

Sad wink