White Doe Inn

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

17 July 2010 20:41

My sister-in-law got married a few years ago at a bed and breakfast in Manteo, North Carolina. The place displays a coat of arms on their sign - Argent six Fusils in bend Gules. The "crest", though there is no torse is of course a white doe. The motto reads AMORE ET VIRTUTE (by love and valor?). I’m not sure it’s as much straight up usurpation as perhaps an homage to the bucket-shop arms of Raleigh. I was too busy to ask the proprietors at the time.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4761/imgpopup8.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5967/raleighb.jpg
</div>

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 July 2010 21:52

Kenneth Mansfield;77732 wrote:

I’m not sure it’s as much straight up usurpation as perhaps an homage to the bucket-shop arms of Raleigh.

Why "bucket-shop?"  Gules a bend fusily Argent (or Gules five fusils in bend Argent) were in fact Sir Walter’s arms.  Rendering them in reversed colors seems like an appropriate homage, but of course there’s a very old English (and colonial American) tradition of using the actual arms of a patron on the signs of taverns and inns.  Hence such names of pubs as "Duke of York’s Arms," "Nelson’s Arms," "King’s Arms," and so on.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

17 July 2010 21:58

Joseph McMillan;77733 wrote:

Why "bucket-shop?"  Gules a bend fusily Argent (or Gules five fusils in bend Argent) were in fact Sir Walter’s arms.  Rendering them in reversed colors seems like an appropriate homage,....

Because I found them online as the Family Crest for the surname Raleigh and didn’t bother to check Burke’s. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

18 July 2010 13:51

Well, many bucket shop arms are taken straight from or at least based upon historical arms.  I don’t think this makes them any less bucketshoppy, to be stolen from some actual armiger and then presented for anyone to use.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

18 July 2010 14:01

xanderliptak;77738 wrote:

Well, many bucket shop arms are taken straight from or at least based upon historical arms. I don’t think this makes them any less bucketshoppy, to be stolen from some actual armiger and then presented for anyone to use.

True, but the inn is presumably honoring Sir Walter Raleigh himself (it’s in the vicinity of the Roanoke Island settlement) and in any case reversed the tinctures.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

18 July 2010 18:49

IIRC a few years ago the English CoA gave a devisal of arms to the present city near the site of Raleigh’s colony—was it Manteo?—which was based on Sir Walter Raleigh’s arms.  I don’t recall the specifics but it involed fusils and the colors red & white, maybe some extra stuff.  Again IIRC it was described in the Oxford Guide…

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

18 July 2010 23:49

Their address might also provide us a clue:

The White Doe Inn

319 Sir Walter Raleigh St., Manteo, NC 27954

Anyway, what a wonderful display of good heraldry!

—Guy

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

19 July 2010 00:20

From The Oxford Guide to Heraldry:
Quote:

American heraldry regulated from England began in 1586 with the grant to the City of Raleigh, then in the Colony of Virginia, and almost four hundred years later the Town of Manteo, North Carolina, which occupies the site of the proposed city of Raleigh, petitioned the Kings of Arms for a devisal which they received in 1983. The arms devised were Argent on a Cross Gules six Lozenges conjoined palewise of the field in dexter chief a Roebuck statant also Gules.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7560/manteo.png
</div>

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

19 July 2010 00:27

Michael F. McCartney;77743 wrote:

IIRC a few years ago the English CoA gave a devisal of arms to the present city near the site of Raleigh’s colony—was it Manteo?—which was based on Sir Walter Raleigh’s arms.  I don’t recall the specifics but it involed fusils and the colors red & white, maybe some extra stuff.  Again IIRC it was described in the Oxford Guide…

Mike:
Quote:

In 1983 the town of Manteo, North Carolina, applied for a devisal of arms.

The arms Argent on a cross Gules six lozenges conjoined palewise of the field in dexter chief a roebuck statant also Gules are a variation of the arms granted in the sixteenth century to the city of Ralegh on the site of which Manteo now stands.

Source p.94.  P.95 shows a b/w emblazon

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

19 July 2010 07:19

The arms granted to Raleigh (the would-have-been city) had the roebuck proper and no lozenges on the cross.