Spring Hill College

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 December 2010 22:00

Following up Catholic heraldry from Mobile, Alabama, here’s another of those depressing instances where a fine heraldic coat of arms has been almost supplanted by a logo—and not even a non-heraldic logo. I can understand it if a college wants to be "modern" and adopts a non-heraldic logo for that purpose; I like it better if they simply come up with a modern way of emblazoning their heraldic arms. Quasi-heraldic logos I don’t get.

Coat of arms/seal:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/heraldry/SpringHill.PNG

Per pale Argent and Or a chevron engrailed Purpure between three fountains and on a chief Purpure three fleurs-de-lis Argent.  (I’ve never seen it explained this way, but I’ve always assumed the chevron is a hill surrounded by three springs.)

Logo:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/heraldry/SpringHillLogo.PNG

As is usual in these cases, the "seal" is restricted to official uses, e.g., as a physical seal on diplomas, while the logo is the principal public identity of the institution.

Sad.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

03 December 2010 15:23

Sad perhaps—honest folk may differ, even Jesuits—but we’ve seen far worse.

Playing devil’s advocate—if I can use that term in this context!—the "logo" is actually an alternate coat of arms; and even as such (do you see this coming?) we’ve seen far worse.  While I’m not a fan of lettering as a charge, certain standardized religious monograms etc. are common in ecclesiastical arms, so the sinister chief (!!) would seem IMO less than chiefly sinister.  The wavy pattern in dexter chief is a bit strange, but again we’ve seen etc.  Ditto the overall visual effect—neither heavenly nor hellish, merely mundane.

But I wouldn’t put it out an an exemplar.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

03 December 2010 16:15

It’s really a shame. In the hatched version, it’s difficult to realize what a nice looking arms it is - dominated by purpure, or and argent. I wonder if someone seeing the hatched, black and white version didn’t realize what they had and requisitioned an arms in "color," and asked the artist to "modernize" it while they were at it.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

03 December 2010 20:58

Good point—hatching can create the impression of extra busy-ness, & the more complex the arms the messier the hatching makes it look—even if in color it would look quite nice!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

08 December 2010 23:37

A color version from clip art and odds and ends:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/heraldry/SpringHill2.gif

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

09 December 2010 02:28

Ugh.  Even bad, honest heraldry is better than some combination of logo and arms.

The arms in color are decent enough.  The only drawback (and I confess to reaching somewhat, here) is that roundels in the 2-1 arrangement tend to look like a face.  This is especially so when the one in base is drawn slightly larger, as in the hatched version, but not Mr. McMillan’s.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

09 December 2010 08:14

I disagree strongly that the original arms are bad in any way.  I think this is an excellent, very classic design.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

09 December 2010 09:35

Ditto to Joe’s comment.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

09 December 2010 16:51

Yeah, I have to say I have no problem at all with these arms. A chevron between three objects is extremely common, and roundels are often used. I can’t imagine restricting them on the possibility that they may make a shield resemble a face.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

09 December 2010 21:27

Joseph McMillan;80516 wrote:

I disagree strongly that the original arms are bad in any way.  I think this is an excellent, very classic design.

I have to agree as well. I usually don’t prefer purple in achievements, but I like its use here.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

09 December 2010 22:42

De gustibus etc.  In color, they IMO look nice, if a little busier than I might like.  The hatched version looked waaaay too busy for my taste.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

10 December 2010 02:05

I don’t think the arms are bad heraldry, even with my tendency to see faces in 2-1 arrangements.

I meant that it’s hard to imagine something worse than the arms-logo mash-up.