arms registered in South Africa

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

02 January 2011 20:29

My arms and crest have just been registered in South Africa.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

02 January 2011 20:35

Congratulations! :D

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

03 January 2011 03:59

Congratulations.

I saw the notice in the Government Gazette last week.  Has the registration certificate arrived yet?

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

03 January 2011 08:47

Cordial congratulations!

...A scan please?!!! wink

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

04 January 2011 07:25

Congratulations!  What is the official blazon?

FYI, it took almost 6 months from the time the Bureau of Heraldry recorded my arms, badge and standard to the time I received my certificates.  My application, however, was during the heyday of foreign applications when the cost of registration was quite low (something like USD 120 per certificate).  I suspsect now with the higher prices, the waiting period will not be as long.

Did you have any problem finding a US bank to wire South African Rands to the Bureau?  If so, what service did you use?  Do they have a internet presence?

Please share with the group a scan of your certificate once you receive it.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

05 January 2011 09:44

eploy;80918 wrote:

FYI, it took almost 6 months from the time the Bureau of Heraldry recorded my arms, badge and standard to the time I received my certificates.

Consider yourself lucky. My own certificate mysteriously spent six months in the clutches of US Customs before being sent on to me without explanation.

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

05 January 2011 10:23

David Pritchard;80931 wrote:

Consider yourself lucky. My own certificate mysteriously spent six months in the clutches of US Customs before being sent on to me without explanation.

No doubt suspected of "arms" smuggling!

I was in Thailand when I received my certificates.  Fortunately, anything originating from a foreign government usually makes it’s way safely to me.  Unfortunately, it’s usually stuff from the American IRS.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

05 January 2011 13:56

eploy;80932 wrote:

No doubt suspected of "arms" smuggling! ....

Hahahaha!!!  From an international "arms" dealer!  That was rich!

—Guy

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

05 January 2011 14:44

eploy;80918 wrote:

Congratulations!  What is the official blazon?

The blazon is: "ARMS: Sable, three fleurs-de-lys one and two Azure, fimbriated Argent, in base a chevron per chevron Vert and Gules, all fimbriated Argent.

CREST: A demi-moor Sable, habited Azure, holding a bowl of the last, there-upon a dove rizant Argent.

WREATH AND MANTLING: Sable and Argent."

Quote:

FYI, it took almost 6 months from the time the Bureau of Heraldry recorded my arms, badge and standard to the time I received my certificates.  My application, however, was during the heyday of foreign applications when the cost of registration was quite low (something like USD 120 per certificate).  I suspsect now with the higher prices, the waiting period will not be as long.

Did you have any problem finding a US bank to wire South African Rands to the Bureau?  If so, what service did you use?  Do they have a internet presence?

Please share with the group a scan of your certificate once you receive it.

I haven’t received my certificate yet but will post the scan when I do.  I just needed to send a cheque drawn on a South African bank in rand, and despite some initial confusion by the teller at my local branch of Wells Fargo, it was not much of a problem to do this and then mail it to SA.  Unsurprisingly it was Standard Bank; I don’t know if they have an internet presence but I didn’t need to check on this.

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

05 January 2011 21:37

I look forward to seeing the scan.

Daniel C. Boyer;80938 wrote:

I just needed to send a cheque drawn on a South African bank in rand, and despite some initial confusion by the teller at my local branch of Wells Fargo, it was not much of a problem to do this and then mail it to SA.  Unsurprisingly it was Standard Bank; I don’t know if they have an internet presence but I didn’t need to check on this.

I thought the Bureau of Heraldry stopped accepting cheques and was requiring direct deposits into its bank account.

Unfortunately for my friends interested in registering arms with the Bureau, there are no banks in Thailand selling bank drafts in South African Rands.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 January 2011 23:46
David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

06 January 2011 01:32

A very unusual combination of colours. One normally sees charges having references or meaning but in your case the colours themselves must hold special meaning. Would you be so kind as to inform us regarding your choice of colours.

The South Africans seem to be unique in the use of the term rizant for rising. To me rizant is a much better heraldic term than rising.

Would your Moor happen to be a Tuareg wearing a Draa?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 January 2011 08:29

David Pritchard;80959 wrote:

The South Africans seem to be unique in the use of the term rizant for rising. To me rizant is a much better heraldic term than rising.

I have to disagree with David on this, mainly because I prefer simple English terminology when possible over the invention of new, non-obvious heraldic terms.  If something French sounding is necessary, what’s wrong with the old, established "rousant?"

Without the context of the specific blazon, it would never have occurred to me that "rizant" meant rising.  My first reaction would be that it was etymologically related to "risible," and therefore meant laughing.  After a bit of Googling I would have found the Spanish verb rizar, meaning "to curl or ripple," and concluded that rizant might be Catalan or Provencal for curling or rippling, although how that might describe a dove would still be a mystery.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

06 January 2011 14:40

Joseph McMillan;80956 wrote:

So…

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/heraldry/Boyer.gif

The chevron appears to be too high (it seems to be almost in a default position) and the fleurs de lys consequently too small given that the chevron is "in base"; I’ve not received the certificate yet but I think illustration 7 at http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=128777 should give you a better idea, dark though it is…

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

06 January 2011 15:00

So the 2 lower fleur de lis would actually appear more in Fess?  Cool! smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 January 2011 22:11

Well, even without the actual certificate, the official illustration would appear to settle the matter for this case at least!