Heraldry in DC?

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

17 March 2011 21:20

Dear Colleagues,

I am off to Washington, DC, with my family next week.  Any heraldry we might want to see while there?

Also, any other tips on things to see in DC would be most appreciated.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 March 2011 23:28

Plenty of U.S. arms and other eagles carved on government buildings, but for other heraldry you might want to hit Washington Cathedral (Episcopal).  Worth a visit in any case.  There are also some interesting renderings of state arms in the various party rooms of the Mayflower Hotel (they might let you look around when nothing’s scheduled) and at DAR Constitution Hall.  The made-up arms to represent the different functions of the Department of Commerce, carved on the facade of the building (at the corner of 14th and Constitution NW) are kind of interesting, and a few Washington heraldic items are on view at Mt. Vernon.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

18 March 2011 10:06

As for non-heraldry….

Not sure how old your kids are, but I’d hit the Smithsonian in the following order:

Natural History

American History

American Indian (if you have an interest)

Air and Space

I love spending time on the Mall. The Washington Monument is okay. The Jefferson Memorial (while a bit of a hike) is in a gorgeous setting. And the Lincoln Memorial…let’s just say pictures don’t do it justice.

Wear comfortable shoes and spend some time walking around. Even if you don’t go inside any of them, the Capitol, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, etc. are all nice to see.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

18 March 2011 16:52

Kenneth Mansfield;81723 wrote:

As for non-heraldry….

Not sure how old your kids are, but I’d hit the Smithsonian in the following order:

Natural History

American History

American Indian (if you have an interest)

Air and Space

My kids always would have put Air and Space first.

I was very disappointed in the Museum of the American Indian, partly because I thought the displays (while often visually striking) are confusingly organized and very poorly labelled, and partly for reasons that are totally off-topic and potentially inflammatory.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

18 March 2011 21:24

Joseph McMillan;81727 wrote:

I was very disappointed in the Museum of the American Indian, partly because I thought the displays (while often visually striking) are confusingly organized and very poorly labelled, and partly for reasons that are totally off-topic and potentially inflammatory.

+1.

You may want to pop in at the Folger Shakespeare Library.  I recently purchased a poster of a "sieve portrait" of Elizabeth I, which featured a nice painting of her arms in the upper corner, for a few bucks…

David

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

19 March 2011 09:36

Joseph McMillan;81727 wrote:

My kids always would have put Air and Space first.

I did, too, when I was a kid, but my oldest loved the Natural History Museum. I guess the lesson here is to ask your kids what they’d like to see.  smile

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

20 March 2011 09:17

Joseph McMillan;81719 wrote:

Plenty of U.S. arms and other eagles carved on government buildings, but for other heraldry you might want to hit Washington Cathedral (Episcopal).  Worth a visit in any case.  There are also some interesting renderings of state arms in the various party rooms of the Mayflower Hotel (they might let you look around when nothing’s scheduled) and at DAR Constitution Hall.  The made-up arms to represent the different functions of the Department of Commerce, carved on the facade of the building (at the corner of 14th and Constitution NW) are kind of interesting, and a few Washington heraldic items are on view at Mt. Vernon.

These sound like great sources.  I hope you can take photos of some of these and post them on the forum when you get back.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

21 March 2011 23:34

A little of hearaldry, when my daughter was 5 or so we did a run up to DC.  Her favorite president was lincoln.  So we went to the lincoln memorial and we are standing at the foot of the statue and my daughter says, "Doesn’t he DO anything?"

<sigh>

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Joined  26-08-2006

24 March 2011 21:06

Thank you all for the great suggestions.  We had limited time, but packed quite a bit in.  The National Cathedral was breathtaking.  I’d seen it before, but I always love to go back.  My dream is to publish a book detailing every inch and every decoration in the place.  The Commerce Building, as Mr. McMillan said, was a treat.

The "coolest" heraldry I saw, though, was at the National Portrait Gallery in this painting of LL Cool J:  http://face2face.si.edu/my_weblog/2009/11/now-on-view-ll-cool-j-by-kehinde-wiley.html

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 March 2011 15:59

A arms in the portrait are a bit small to see (at least for me)—what is the design?

laneryd

laneryd
Total Posts:  34
Joined  27-08-2010

29 March 2011 16:58

I think I can see a portable radio and a pair of boxing gloves.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

29 March 2011 18:23

Michael F. McCartney;81836 wrote:

A arms in the portrait are a bit small to see (at least for me)—what is the design?

Per Pale Sanguine (to differentiate from the red gloves?) and Or overall a pair of Boxing Gloves Gules on a Chief Argent a Boom Box Or embellished Azure.

As near as I can tell. Yuck.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Joined  26-08-2006

30 March 2011 00:32

Ah, but when you’re standing there…actually before the work itself…still yuck.

Kenneth Mansfield;81840 wrote:

Per Pale Sanguine (to differentiate from the red gloves?) and Or overall a pair of Boxing Gloves Gules on a Chief Argent a Boom Box Or embellished Azure.

As near as I can tell. Yuck.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

30 March 2011 21:20

Ouch!—sorry I asked…another case of "ignorance (or possibly myopia) is bliss"

Some potential "eye candy" is best left unwrapped—or in this case, maybe unrapped.