Polish Heraldic Community

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

05 May 2011 18:53

Does the coat of arms for the Polish Heraldic Community look familiar to you?

http://novaheraldia.net/index-folder/logo.jpg

Thoughts?

http://novaheraldia.net/

reignerok

reignerok
Total Posts:  19
Joined  30-04-2011

05 May 2011 19:47

I don’t know what community is older, so…who got inspired by who?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 May 2011 21:20

Interesting!—IMO the differences (crown on eagle, & books for the small shields on the chief) are sufficient.  We shouldn’t pull rank if we were first, & I hope they wouldn’t either.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

05 May 2011 21:32

According to our own website’s section on foreign grants and registrations, this organization was actually created just last year - so if rank needed to be pulled, we’re all set.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

05 May 2011 23:21

I saw a link for this on the Amateur Heralds message board.  It’s kind of rediculous to say the least.  It doesn’t even look Polish in style.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

06 May 2011 04:19

It’s differenced and I think the similarity is rather flattering… Even their first page works like ours.  Nice big achivement to click!

OK, Personal aside - for those who are completely convinced I can’t spell.. My computer is on the mend and I’m using my daughter’s rather sticky keyboard…. <sigh> <frustration abated>

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

06 May 2011 10:21

I don’t really see it as flattering, I mainly see it as somebody doesn’t have an ounce of creativity wink.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 May 2011 15:35

That’s a bit harsh!  The Poles have had their white eagle on red longer than we’ve had a country; and I don’t think we (either the US or AHS) invented the concept of a blue chief.

We don’t know (at least I don’t) whether they were aware of ours or not; & even if they were awaare of us (assuming we were first) theirs is more that sufficiently differenced from ours.  (When I noted the crown & books, I forgot to mention that their eagle is white & ours is a bald eagle proper—a major difference.)

I’m with Kathy on this one.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

06 May 2011 22:12

Them having an Eagle on the arms isn’t what bothers me, it’s more the fact that it has an azure chief, with three argent objects on it.  There are a lot of different designs they could have done, that wouldn’t have practically been a copy of our arms.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

06 May 2011 22:50

I think the similarities are striking - that said, I don’t think any harm is done.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

07 May 2011 20:43

I like the design, for the same reason I like the AHS design.

Also, I think that it lends strength to both organizations which are dedicated to heraldry to share some elements.  It could come to pass incidentally at some point down the road of time that people associate three argent objects in a blue chief as somehow associated with promotion of heraldry, haha.

I think our bald eagle is unique enough to set us apart from any other regardless of alternate similarities. raspberry

Whether their design was intentionally similar or not, their claim seems unassailable to me.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

07 May 2011 23:07

A Polish society without the Polish eagle would frankly just be wrong.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

08 May 2011 10:28

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;82647 wrote:

Also, I think that it lends strength to both organizations which are dedicated to heraldry to share some elements.  It could come to pass incidentally at some point down the road of time that people associate three argent objects in a blue chief as somehow associated with promotion of heraldry, haha.

I could envision local/state branches of the AHS that use different arms but incorporate the same blue chief, similar to Harvard’s use of a red chief with the three books.

For example, Maine’s could be: Argent a Pine Tree Vert on a Chief Azure three Escutcheons Argent

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

08 May 2011 10:48

Jeremy Corbally-Hammond;82674 wrote:

I could envision local/state branches of the AHS that use different arms but incorporate the same blue chief, similar to Harvard’s use of a red chief with the three books.

For example, Maine’s could be: Argent a Pine Tree Vert on a Chief Azure three Escutcheons Argent

Except that the red chief with three books is a diminutive version (an homage, if you will) of Harvard’s arms, a red shield with three books.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

08 May 2011 10:59

SIMILAR! to Harvard’s - not identical.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

08 May 2011 12:14

Jeremy Corbally-Hammond;82676 wrote:

SIMILAR! to Harvard’s - not identical.

If you think taking the top bun (along with the mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato) off your hamburger and putting it on your chicken sandwich is SIMILAR to putting your entire hamburger on top of your chicken sandwich, I concede your point. I just tend to disagree. But that’s the wonderful thing about the free world, isn’t it? wink