Arms Part III

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

12 May 2011 11:02

No 24;82883 wrote:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv14.png

Sans chief, the counter-charged c. rose in the middle loses a lot of visibility.

I like this one.  What about making the middle one gold instead on countercharging it?  This will still allow you to keep you 4 colors and help it to stand out.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

12 May 2011 11:12

It’s a lot better, but now the Rat doesn’t seem to flow with the rest of it.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

12 May 2011 11:23
Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 May 2011 11:38

Putting a colored charge on a parted metal-colored field may not be a technical tincture violation under the rules as understood in the English-speaking heraldic world, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea. I have yet to see black on green or vice versa work well, regardless of the specific shades. (Frankly, the combination of black and green always reminds me of a half-healed bruise, and I’m not sure the yellow doesn’t just reinforce that, but they’re not my arms.)

Anyway, this cries out for counterchanging if you’re going to use a field that’s parted between a metal and green.  I’d suggest you think about a field parted Argent and Or (or Or and Argent) and make the stars green.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

12 May 2011 11:43

Joseph McMillan;82887 wrote:

Putting a colored charge on a parted metal-colored field may not be a technical tincture violation under the rules as understood in the English-speaking heraldic world, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea. I have yet to see black on green or vice versa work well, regardless of the specific shades. (Frankly, the combination of black and green always reminds me of a half-healed bruise, and I’m not sure the yellow doesn’t just reinforce that, but they’re not my arms.)

Anyway, this cries out for counterchanging if you’re going to use a field that’s parted between a metal and green.  I’d suggest you think about a field parted Argent and Or (or Or and Argent) and make the stars green.

Agreed.  Just because it can be done, doesn’t mean it should be done.  Having the Sable rat on a Argent and Vert field is just making it look really out of place, which is why most people here agree that it’s best to limit the number of tinctures you use.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

12 May 2011 11:51

Joseph - thanks for the input, that’s the kind of constructive criticism that I need. You have addressed something that I have noted myself, which is that half the rat melts into the Vert. I get that and it is troublesome.

I’m not sure I’m following your suggestion regarding a parted (per fess?) field of Or and Argent. I’m not questioning you at all, I just thought that was illegal.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

12 May 2011 11:56

Why have the field parted at all? Sorry, if I have missed this, but the rat would be rather more visible without a parted field as well.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

12 May 2011 12:00

Claus K Berntsen;82891 wrote:

Why have the field parted at all? Sorry, if I have missed this, but the rat would be rather more visible without a parted field as well.

Thank you haha

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

12 May 2011 12:15

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv154x5.png http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv164x5.png

This is not a vast departure from what I have as my avatar. It’s also very similar to what I had before I drew the rat. I eliminated the sun and the chevrons.

Hmm… The sable and argent variety just has this "unfinished" look about it.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

12 May 2011 12:55

Although I suspect the pie is already baked, I don’t like the rat.  Sure, it looks "cool" the way that you’ve drawn it (almost like a heraldic boar, but with a long tail):

http://heraldry-armoury-and-more.com/picture_library/animals/boar rampant.jpg

but in the hands of another heraldic artist it will likely look like, well, a rat:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NPeIdlHaoaQ/R0w6rEyaRzI/AAAAAAAAAlU/Ya4XAgQUAmI/s400/rat.jpg

or perhaps:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_090TZ8gwyxE/TPwucfJogGI/AAAAAAAAAFM/ObxNraNpNP4/s1600/Reepicheep+Narnia+3.jpg

I appreciate that you will be able to guide any artist you commission to do a rendering, but I’m worried you’re putting too much stock in the whole "Chinese birth-year place mat" thing (unless you happen to be Chinese) at the cost of a better design.

I do like the current rat in your badge, though.  For some reason it’s works there (it’s a more playful rendering?, it’s not displayed on a shield?) but not in your arms.

Best of Luck,

David

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

12 May 2011 13:04

David - I could do a griffin or a dragon or anything else. And that’s fine. It’s just not what I want. I want the rat, I just do. I know it’s not the most traditional choice, but there ya go. I have entertained the notion of a sable eagle (I am of Polish and German decent) in the past, but that seems pretentious.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

12 May 2011 13:05

No 24;82894 wrote:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv154x5.png

This one is actually my favorite of the bunch so far.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

12 May 2011 13:14

No 24;82897 wrote:

I want the rat, I just do.

Fair enough!:)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

12 May 2011 13:14

No 24;82889 wrote:

Joseph - thanks for the input, that’s the kind of constructive criticism that I need. You have addressed something that I have noted myself, which is that half the rat melts into the Vert. I get that and it is troublesome.

I’m not sure I’m following your suggestion regarding a parted (per fess?) field of Or and Argent. I’m not questioning you at all, I just thought that was illegal.

I’m not at a computer where I can draw right now, but I’m pretty sure Joe is suggesting a field parted per pale argent and or with the rampant rat in black and three green compass roses in chief.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

12 May 2011 13:27

Kenneth Mansfield;82900 wrote:

I’m not at a computer where I can draw right now, but I’m pretty sure Joe is suggesting a field parted per pale argent and or with the rampant rat in black and three green compass roses in chief.

I’m giving that a roll right now, Kenneth.