Arms of Abel Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

12 May 2011 02:23

My youngest brother Abel Boyd Garrison’s arms are:

Argent a star of eight points with rays in cross extended Sable and on a chief embattled Sable an Eagle Displayed Argent.

If anyone felt generous enough to render up something for that with their available clip art I would be grateful. smile

Also critique and thoughts (pros or cons) on these arms welcome.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

12 May 2011 04:23

An eagle displayed argent could be quite MUSHED (nope, not a technical term) on a chief embattled.  I, too, would like to see an example - but from a distance (or for those of us with bad eyesight) I can see the <squint>, "What is that charge?" comment.

What significance does the eagle displayed have for the armiger?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

12 May 2011 04:55

Totally agree with you Kathy… an eagle in chief is probably going to look lonely. :(

Armiger is half-brother (we share a dad) and his mom’s father was mostly polish and I believe his mom’s mom is also some polish so he demanded to have a polish eagle in chief.  I told him I didn’t like the polish eagle with crown due to 1) eagle doesn’t need to be any taller if it’s in chief, 2) Stealing polish eagle is bad form, and so I recommended just an uncrowned eagle displayed argent to allude vaguely to the Polska.  He agreed.

He didn’t like the eight pointed stars in chief at all.

Anyhow, there is historical precedent for a single eagle displayed in chief so it’s not completely wrong, but yeah… definitely an artistic challenge.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 May 2011 08:40

Kathy McClurg;82875 wrote:

An eagle displayed argent could be quite MUSHED (nope, not a technical term) on a chief embattled.

Not if emblazoned properly.  Charges should be drawn to fill the available area, as in these two examples of the capo dell’impero (chief of the [Holy Roman] Empire), which medieval Italian families used to show loyalty to the the Ghibelline or imperial faction in the Italian politics of the time.

http://www.molfetta.net/images/stemmi/de_giudice.jpg

By the way, Googling "capo dell’impero" will turn up lots of examples of the misuse of clipart in heraldic emblazonment.  No real heraldic artist worth his salt would put a tiny eagle on the middle of a chief, but that’s what cutting and pasting a standard clipart ‘eagle displayed’ results in.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

12 May 2011 19:24

Mr. McMillan, thanks for making clear that not filling the whole space of the chief would be an heraldic blunder.  This was my feeling as well.

EDIT: I managed to doodle an example so I could get a better idea of how this looks, and I’m not as displeased with the idea of an eagle in chief as I was before.  It can be done without making the eagle look like the leading member of the Fantastic Four in order to get it to fit. raspberry

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=844&d=1305324683

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

13 May 2011 18:34

Also, Abel is still not sure about his motto and crest.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

13 May 2011 19:42

I think that’s a very nice drawing and can be a really nice shield as well.  Good job!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

14 May 2011 01:55

Joseph McMillan;82878 wrote:

Not if emblazoned properly.  Charges should be drawn to fill the available area, ......  No real heraldic artist worth his salt would put a tiny eagle on the middle of a chief, but that’s what cutting and pasting a standard clipart ‘eagle displayed’ results in.

Understood the artist will fill the field.  I like the sketch..  but… given the typical hieght vs width ratio of a chief and the draw of the primary charge - it may be just a "Kathy" thing, I see "mushed" (as I do with many animal charges in chief) and I am near sighted.

See what happens when you use "technical" terms and aren’t an artist?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

14 May 2011 03:07

Thanks J, I appreciate the compliment.

Kathy, yes, I feel that sticking a critter in chief is a recipe for mush as well. :|

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

14 May 2011 12:25

Why not stick it on top of the helmet? Preferably a demi-Pegasus…

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

14 May 2011 13:38

Claus I think you meant to put this in No. 24’s thread.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

14 May 2011 13:47

Quite! I really shouldn’t rely on my memory regarding the whole thread…