Deciding on a crest!

Andemicael

Andemicael
Total Posts:  257
Joined  02-04-2006

26 May 2011 16:28

Hello,

I’m trying to decide upon a crest and would love to hear some general feedback/thoughts/etc.

These are the directions I’m considering:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/crest-comparisons-1.jpg

1: Canting: The name Andemicael literally means "Root/trunk/tribe of the archangel Michael." So I’ve suggested "Michael" by the motif of the conquered dragon/devil, and used an eradicated tree to mean roots/trunk.

2: Clan abstract: The origin of my father’s side of the family is in a man named Mehtsun (b. abt 1720), and we are part of his clan. His nickname was "Tsenai," which means "hard or tough, as in a tight, thick knot." I’ve used a sealed book of iron bearing his name in Ethiopic to suggest hardness and also express the tradition in my family both of faith and learning. I feel it goes nicely with the motto.

3: Clan literal: Here I am literally expressing the "hardness of a knot" with two arms attempting to pull apart an endless knot, rendered in an ethiopic style.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

26 May 2011 16:32

For my money, the first one is the best, though the other two are nice enough and well thought out.

Jeff Poole

Jeff Poole
Total Posts:  138
Joined  07-03-2009

26 May 2011 19:42

All three are well thought out and designed. If it was me I would go for the third one, nice, simple and different. The other two have plenty of "common" elements where as the knot in the third is really different.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

26 May 2011 20:27

I really like the symbolic nature of the first one, but I also like the design and visual appeal of the third one.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

26 May 2011 22:02

I like the third one…simple and unique.  (But my personal favorite will always be the achievement in your current avatar!)

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

26 May 2011 23:03

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;83566 wrote:

I really like the symbolic nature of the first one, but I also like the design and visual appeal of the third one.

My thoughts exactly.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

27 May 2011 00:32

The third one is definitely my favorite.  It at least is unique looking and appealing to the eye.  The other two are nice as well, but not quite as unique.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

27 May 2011 00:55

I also like the third.

(Welcome back, BTW.)

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

27 May 2011 02:03

For what my newbie opinion is worth, I agree with everyone on here.  The third option is the best visually.  Symbolically, I think the first one is the best but I don’t really like seeing the dragon head.  I’m not sure if it’s the design of the head itself or seeing the head with a sword sticking through it, but something about it doesn’t sit right with me.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

27 May 2011 03:43

The third.  For some reason I don’t like the "blotch" of red that is the dragon head.  Maybe if you were killing a green or yellow dragon, but the "devil" symbology would be lost.

I thought you crest rested under your current avatar’s shield… Although I prefer the new crest - I LOVE the current avatar.  You may want to consider a different form of mantling - the "blanket" behind you current avatar could be used in some way.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

27 May 2011 08:56

I believe I’ve seen both a flaming sword and a winged sword used as symbols of St. Michael.  If one was a little squeamish about having an skewered demon head on a crest, one could replace that element with a modified sword and still maintain the symbolism.

Andemicael

Andemicael
Joined  02-04-2006

27 May 2011 19:31

Thanks for the input (and the kind welcome back!)

Sounds like a pretty unanimous response. I’m leaning towards the clarity of message in the 3rd one, as well. But good advice on the flaming sword as a less grotesque cant on my last name. I’ll have to show that to family members.

As for the Ethiopic rendering in my avatar, I will certainly update it accordingly to reflect the new crest — it has always been intended to function as an alternate method of emblazoning a traditional heraldic achievement.

I dare say it needs a bit of tweaking, as the big innovation of adding spears to indicate the number of children borne by the armiger presupposes differencing of arms, something I’m not as into these days as when I first devised it.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

27 May 2011 20:30

I do like the idea of the flaming sword instead of the dragon head.  That could look very nice.  Good idea Ben.

Andemicael

Andemicael
Joined  02-04-2006

27 May 2011 21:09

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/flaming-sword.jpg

I’m loving that. The flame also can read as illumination and guidance, which works for the "faith and education" meaning of the book I had there originally.

I think it’s maybe not ideal to have the crest basically be just a cant of the name (wouldn’t that go on the shield?) — seems redundant, and doesn’t allow me to put the clan into the crest.

But I’m really liking the look. I’ll see if there’s a way I can work the knot into the first one. Maybe brand a simplified version on the stump? That would certainly eliminate any chance of duplication.

See below. I also tried couped hands, sleeves of the colors, and a simplified knot.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/coat4.jpg

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

27 May 2011 21:49

I like the flaming sword, very nice.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 May 2011 21:55

FWIW (being in a bit of a contrarian mood) I like the book, whether upheld as in the middle of your three designs, or alone as in your most excellent avatar.  3rd choice would be the knot, with the impaled dragon’s head a poor fourth.

But to each his own!