New Member to Begin Designing

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

27 May 2011 23:29

Michael F. McCartney;83603 wrote:

But if you do want the acorns & leaves just a little bit smaller, then rather than cottisses, how about making the fess just a bit wider & grow the bear to fit?

I had thought about that but wasn’t sure you could that to the fess.  How do you blazon it?

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

28 May 2011 06:26

Just a random thought,  Have we tried a seme of oak leaves?

Not really sure about this blazon, but here goes -

Argent a seme of oak leaves vert a bear…..

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

28 May 2011 08:02

Kathy McClurg;83620 wrote:

Just a random thought,  Have we tried a seme of oak leaves?

Not really sure about this blazon, but here goes -

Argent a seme of oak leaves vert a bear…..

We haven’t because the three acorns slipped and leaved were always connoting the three siblings. I think I’d rather see the field semy of acorns than oak leaves, but it’s a nice idea.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

28 May 2011 14:15

Actually, behind the scenes, I have tried a seme of oak leaves.  I kind of liked it.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3679/seme.png

I did it a little differently from what Kathy blazoned, however I think Kathy’s might be better.  I’ll try and put it together and to post.  Quick question though, can the seme be done in "proper" colors or does it have to be one color?

Kenneth, I do like the idea of the seme of acorns as well.  Would it be redundant to have the seme with the bear and a chief with the three acorns slipped and leaved?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

28 May 2011 14:28

jcar;83637 wrote:

Kenneth, I do like the idea of the seme of acorns as well.  Would it be redundant to have the seme with the bear and a chief with the three acorns slipped and leaved?

Might be a bit redundant. I would probably try semy of acorns with the bear and on a chief three large oak leaves.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

28 May 2011 14:32

Kenneth Mansfield;83639 wrote:

Might be a bit redundant. I would probably try semy of acorns with the bear and on a chief three large oak leaves.

Gotcha.  I like that idea.

I was finally able to play with some legos.  Kenneth, i don’t know how you did it because these things are so hard to work with they’re so small.  But here are my 3 designs on some legos (I still need to make one more shield but the pack I bought only had 2 shield for three dudes).

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7412/photonmm.jpg

Brad Smith

Brad Smith
Total Posts:  182
Joined  12-02-2009

28 May 2011 19:28

Those look great!

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

29 May 2011 00:03

The LEGO experiment is great for assessing a coat of arms and helps clarify the importance of over-exaggeration in charges like leaves. To tell an oak leaf at a distance it really needs to be the large-lobed variety or it could just as easily be a feather. Well done on the knights.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 June 2011 21:18

Is it time to retire the aging refrigerator test for the Lego test?  (Hmmm…a lot of work!)

I would strongly second Ken’s general observation re: making charges as large & recognizable as the space allows (well, maybe I paraphrased a bit).

Whether that nixes the spikey/frilly oak leaves is a balancing between the artistic ideal (easy to see & recognize) vs the stronger cant of the holly oak.  Life is always a balancing act—there’s not always (i.e. there is seldom) just one OK way to do things.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

07 June 2011 22:09

Hmm, this makes me think you could use FIMO (or some other polymer clay) to fashion actual crests to mount on those lil’ lego guys’ helmets! haha. :p

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

07 June 2011 22:41

That is really cool.  It really makes me want to do my own haha.  I’m still voting for the one on the far right. wink

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

07 June 2011 23:04

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;84393 wrote:

Hmm, this makes me think you could use FIMO (or some other polymer clay) to fashion actual crests to mount on those lil’ lego guys’ helmets! haha. :p

Absolutely. Just need more of those great helms.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

07 June 2011 23:25

Michael F. McCartney;84387 wrote:

Is it time to retire the aging refrigerator test for the Lego test?  (Hmmm…a lot of work!)

Yes!  It’s a lot of work and need some nimble fingers to get it all to look right.  Kenneth is the man for being able to pull it off.  I finally just gave up and did some cutting and taping to make it look like that.  I think the fridge test is a lot easier.  But these are definitely fun to have on my desk at work.  smile

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

21 June 2011 13:39

Well, the lego test helped settle everything down and I was about to make my final decision. Then just yesterday Kenneth and I came up with one that really blew me away. I instantly connected with it, my family loved it, and everyone that I have shown it to has agreed that it’s the best one. I might still make some very minor changes to it, but it has everything I wanted in my original thoughts so I’m 99.9% sure that this is it.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1834/carrascofinal.png
</div>

tsmith

tsmith
Total Posts:  129
Joined  08-07-2010

21 June 2011 16:09

j.carrasco;83007 wrote:

So, I’m pretty sure I have my Top 3 finalists for the fridge test (well, I’ve already begun the test and these are the three that have already stood out to me).  I have 3 different designs with 3 minor variants of those designs.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3313/60864487.png

Jesse,

It looks like I maybe a day late and a dollar short but I wanted to say that I am a big fan of this design, including the fimbriation. The only suggestion I would make is to go with either acorns or oak leaves in the chief rather than acorns slipped and leaved. In my opinion this is a striking design.

That being said, I like the new design you posted too although I think I like the blue tongued bear better. But that is just me. I like blue. Your mileage may very!

Travis