Arms for my mother

Andemicael

Andemicael
Total Posts:  257
Joined  02-04-2006

05 June 2011 21:29

Actually, for my maternal grandfather and all his descendents.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/appletatra2-1.jpg
</div>
Rationale:

A cant on the name Jablonka, which means apple tree. The three apples represent the children (2 daughters and a son), and the mullet in dexter chief represents a 4th child, a son who died in infancy and was said by my grandmother to "look down on them always." As a nod to the fact that almost everyone in the family has moved to different countries, and to my mother’s professed sense of ‘rootlessness,’ the tree is eradicated.

The mountains in the background represent the Tatra range, where my family lived as free beer brewers in feudal times. It also represents mountaineering, something very important in the family (lots of hiking, as well as military service in two generations as mountain troops.)

On a cruder level, the mountains and mullet loosely reference the arms of the Slovenian flag, where half of the family came from, and the colors point both towards Austria and Poland’s colors.

Looking for general crit, and need a little help with the blazon (I’ve gotten really rusty!):

Blazon:

"Party per _______ argent and gules, an eradicated apple tree argent fructed of three proper, in dexter chief a mullet gules."

or:

"Party per _______ argent and gules, in dexter chief a mullet gules, in base an eradicated apple tree argent fructed of three proper."

or:

"Argent on three mountains gules an eradicated apple tree argent fructed of three proper, in dexter chief a mullet gules."

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

05 June 2011 22:30

I think your design is simple and elegant.  Well done!  My only concern is the the apples in the tree my get lost within the giant field of gules behind it (especially the two lower ones since there is a small space in between the branches that is the same color).  If all three apples could be moved up into the tree a little more or if the tree could be a little bigger and fuller I think it would fine.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

05 June 2011 23:45

A beautiful design, and lovely symbolism.  Bravo.

I don’t know what the blazon for that partition would be.  Some variation of dancety I would imagine.  Per fess dancety of three points upward, the middle point enhanced??  Someone will have a better suggestion than that…

Andemicael

Andemicael
Joined  02-04-2006

06 June 2011 00:31

thanks!

Here it is with the crest (and a modified tree). A goat seems appropriate, mountain-loving and very stubborn smile
</div>

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

06 June 2011 00:37

I think it’s a beautiful design actually.  I can’t say I’d change anything at all.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

06 June 2011 09:48

What a fantastic design.  I also love the symbolism; simply brilliant.

Brad Smith

Brad Smith
Total Posts:  182
Joined  12-02-2009

06 June 2011 12:07

Very striking - well done!

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

06 June 2011 12:11

Nice arms, but I prefer either B1 or F2 on the rejected list.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

06 June 2011 13:01

I love this design.

I am having a hard time with blazoning though.  Seems to me that you have taken more space for the tree so rather than parting the field the effect seems more like just having a single field with a charge and a chief on it rather than an actual pared field.

I have been trying to come up with a good party per fess or party per chevron description but nothing I can come up with works well (enough to be emblazoned correctly off of the blazon).

Per chevron and dancette together in the same sentance just make my head hurt (neverd did well in high school geometry).  Per fess seems too much of a stretch.  This one is beyond my novice abilities… but again, I LOVE the design!

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 June 2011 13:29

I think some variation of what Kevin put forward is probably the best to describe the division of the field. I, unfortunately, am not agile enough to stick that landing. I like the design, but agree with some others that the apples get lost in the field. I’d like to see how they look gold.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

06 June 2011 13:40

I agree with Kenneth that maybe making the apples gold would be very nice.  I do, however, think the overall design is quite beautiful.  And of your rejected designs I also love #4 in the top row.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

06 June 2011 13:54

Kenneth Mansfield;84195 wrote:

I’d like to see how they look gold.

Yes!  Maybe the hops and barley Or instead of proper, and then the apples Or as well.  That would be very nice.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

06 June 2011 14:48

werewolves;84197 wrote:

Yes!  Maybe the hops and barley Or instead of proper, and then the apples Or as well.  That would be very nice.

That would make a lovely cider.

Andemicael

Andemicael
Joined  02-04-2006

06 June 2011 16:24

Hmm. I considered gold apples, but on a white tree, the metal-on-metal becomes very hard to see.

I think how the tree is emblazoned helps some. Some quickies that tone down the leaves a bit:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/jablonka3whitree2.jpg http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/jablonka3whitree.jpg

Here it is with swapped out colors. I think I prefer the mountains and sky this way, but it limits the colors I can make the tree and fruit. My concern is people thinking its a lemon or orange tree.

Swapped:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/jablonka3redtreewhite.jpg

And fructed Or (with barley and hops Or):

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/jablonka3redtree.jpg

The reason I went with party per, is because it really seems like party per chevron but with three points instead of one. I could have sworn I’d seen this used as an ordinary before..

http://heraldry-armoury-and-more.com/picture_library/shields/party per chevron.jpg

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 June 2011 17:11

Andemicael;84228 wrote:

And fructed Or (with barley and hops Or):

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/blackgas/jablonka3redtree.jpg

I really like these.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 June 2011 18:10

Definitely the red tree with golden fruit.

Can’t say I’m thrilled with the motto, though. Sort of resonates with Kathy’s "what-EV-er." Might as well use "so it goes" or "la-di-da."