My friends have been adopting arms

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

26 August 2011 05:22

Great designs. I especially like the pun in Michael Rideout’s arms.

When I started reading the first post I had not seen the arms and wondered how you were going to get a pun out of Michael’s name.

When I saw the design your solution was obvious.

How about adding a punning motto -

"Ride Out To Glory"?

It would compliment both name and arms!

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 August 2011 15:30

Generally I much prefer a simpler style rather than more ornate heraldic artwork, which is often so complex as to lose visual clarity—and to be frank, because a lot of it just isn’t all that well done.

Xander’s artwork is one of only a very few exceptions—his art is so imaginative and beautifully done as to transcend my general objections and remind me just how wonderful that style can be.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

27 August 2011 13:52

I haven’t talked to either friend about a motto yet. I usually avoid adding one of my choosing, as a motto is something anyone can decide upon with no technical knowledge of heraldry. That, and it will help personalize the arms more so. But I will definitely let Mr Rideout know of that suggestion, he would most likely be very pleased with having his name appear in the motto.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

07 September 2011 13:43

Alexander , as much as I like your designs , there is one thing I must scold you for ...Do you realize that your artistic signatures placed in the central ‘focal’ point of every painting are killing this personal character of arms you design for armigers ?? I just hope you posted signed pictures of scanned originals and originals remain untouched .

Aquilo

Aquilo
Joined  02-10-2010

25 October 2011 18:26

Aquilo;87579 wrote:

Alexander , as much as I like your designs , there is one thing I must scold you for ...Do you realize that your artistic signatures placed in the central ‘focal’ point of every painting are killing this personal character of arms you design for armigers ?? I just hope you posted signed pictures of scanned originals and originals remain untouched .

Just few days ago I learned that Alexander is presenting his art on blog

http://heraldist.blogspot.com

and since June he is running his heraldic page on Facebook

‘Heraldic Art & Design by Alexander ’ . (I know , no advertising allowed , but if there is anything I can do on American Heraldry Society Forum for an American heraldic artist wink ... )

And as I thought , these large signatures are on the scanned copies of his artwork what should discourage unauthorized downloads ,use and modification of his designs.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

26 October 2011 12:01

Aquilo;89312 wrote:

Just few days ago I learned that Alexander is presenting his art on blog

http://heraldist.blogspot.com

It would appear the better way to say that is "...was presenting…." There doesn’t appear to be anything recent on there.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Joined  02-10-2010

26 October 2011 18:40

Kenneth Mansfield;89328 wrote:

It would appear the better way to say that is "...was presenting…." There doesn’t appear to be anything recent on there.

Maybe the blog didn’t generate enough of interest because was not properly advertised? For an artist a good feed back is a rewarding and mobilizing experience. I expect to see some Alexander’s new paintings within few coming days as he announced on his Facebook page.