My newly registered arms

cachambers007

cachambers007
Total Posts:  164
Joined  04-06-2011

31 August 2011 22:09

My recently designed and assumed Arms.  They have been registered with the American College of Heraldry as well as AssumeArms.com.

Complete Achievement Blazon:

Per Fess Danchettee Or and Vert, a Fist gauntleted Gules and in base a Scroll of the First, charged with an ant Azure. Atop the Shield, a Steel Helm mantled of the Second doubled of the First and from a Wreath of the Colours is set for a Crest, a Great Horned Owl Displayed, Elevated and crowned, all Proper.

Motto:

ARTE NON VI

Heraldic Artist:

Cmdr. Valery Yegorov

http://assumearms.com/Images/Achievements/Chistopher-Alan-Chambers-Coat-Of-Arms.png

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

31 August 2011 22:23

Congratulations on your new arms.  Care to share some of the symbolism with us? smile

cachambers007

cachambers007
Joined  04-06-2011

31 August 2011 22:32

Design Rationale:

The vert Per Fess Danchettee represents the Green Mountains of my native Vermont.  Branches of my family have been in Vermont or just north of the border for many generations.  The scroll, ant, and owl represent my professional career as a software engineer, published researcher, and inventor with many patents.  The gauntleted fist represents my study of Martial Arts and several black belts in my youth.  Lastly the crown on the owl is for my Manorial Lordship.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

01 September 2011 11:53

Rather nice Arms, but I don’t like the mixing of two shades of Or in the Shield and the Mantling/Wreath. But this is of cause the making of the Artist and no shadow to fall upon Cachambers007.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

01 September 2011 13:10

How is your motto "Arte Non Vi" tanslated?

And if your family has been in Vermont for many generations, how did you come by a manorial lordship?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

01 September 2011 13:14

congrats on your arms assumption/registration.

cachambers007

cachambers007
Joined  04-06-2011

01 September 2011 14:25

My understanding of the translation is "by skill not force".  I must however admit that a friend of mine who knows more Latin thought it should be "by guile not strength".

As for the Lordship, I came into my rule by the Grace of God, and the power of MasterCard smile

steven harris;87410 wrote:

How is your motto "Arte Non Vi" tanslated?

And if your family has been in Vermont for many generations, how did you come by a manorial lordship?

cachambers007

cachambers007
Joined  04-06-2011

01 September 2011 14:29

I hadn’t actually thought about there being both gold and yellow until you mentioned it.  I’ll experiment with recoloring the Mantling to see if it looks better.

Marcus K;87409 wrote:

Rather nice Arms, but I don’t like the mixing of two shades of Or in the Shield and the Mantling/Wreath. But this is of cause the making of the Artist and no shadow to fall upon Cachambers007.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

01 September 2011 18:35

Dear Chris,

Welcome and congratulations on the recent adoption of a new coat of arms.

I would query the blazon, however.

I do like the way the shield is divided to represent mountains.

However, the blazon and the emblazon do not match.

What is displayed is more a truncated pile with a dancetty top (or per chevron which has been truncated) than ‘per fess dancetty’.

I do not have an immediate answer for you, but, will get back to you when I have worked out what the blazon should be.

All the best,

Iain Boyd

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

02 September 2011 12:14

Chris, I believe Iain is correct. "per fess dancetty" would be division across the middle, such as:

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/ProjectPics/v199-20070140-A_arms_Co.jpg

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

02 September 2011 12:38

The arms of Magnanville (in France) may serve as a starting point for describing a chevron with it’s top lopped off.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnanville

But I have no idea how they are blazoned.

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

02 September 2011 14:00

steven harris;87446 wrote:

The arms of Magnanville (in France) may serve as a starting point for describing a chevron with it’s top lopped off.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnanville

But I have no idea how they are blazoned.

The French blazon calls it "a chevron ecimé".

There’s also a South African example of a partition like this, which is blazoned as "per chevron the peak couped".

cachambers007

cachambers007
Joined  04-06-2011

02 September 2011 15:56

I remember reading somewhere that dancette implied both deeper jagged edges than indented and that traditionally there would only be three of them across the width of the region.  I would however agree that it could be validly emblazoned in a manner that wouldn’t look as much like mountains.  I believe that the blazon was specified by David Wooten of the ACH.

arriano;87442 wrote:

Chris, I believe Iain is correct. "per fess dancetty" would be division across the middle, such as:

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/ProjectPics/v199-20070140-A_arms_Co.jpg

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

05 September 2011 17:03

cachambers007;87415 wrote:

As for the Lordship, I came into my rule by the Grace of God, and the power of MasterCard smile It is ‘ideologically ’ very distant from the crowned owl in the crest and other charges ...

cachambers007

cachambers007
Joined  04-06-2011

05 September 2011 17:28

In early May I purchased the Lordship of the Manor of Illston on the Hill in Leicestershire.  When I’m feeling poncy I will end correspondence with "Christopher A. Chambers, Lord of the Manor of Illston on the Hill”.

And yes, the very cool thing about Manorial Lordships is that they are so old and full of history.  Illston dates back to at least 970AD and was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.  Unlike many Lordships that are of places that ceased to exist hundreds of years ago, Illston is still alive and well, and roughly the same size it was in 1086.  I was sold when I saw it in Google Maps.

I’m currently in the process of purchasing the Lordship of Goldingtons in Colne Engaine, Essex.  It’s taking forever as UK estate solicitors seem to operate at a very relaxed pace.  This one is very interesting since it includes ownership of registered common land including several village greens, road verges, etc.  After this one I’ll most likely be done acquiring feudal titles.

As for the gauntleted fist, it is indeed very dissimilar to the other charges.  However back in my teens and early 20s Martial Arts was one of my main interests.  I achieved black belts in Karate and Jujitsu.  Injuries and a busy work life mostly ended this, but it was a significant enough part of my past to make it into my Arms.

Aquilo;87502 wrote:

Congratulations Chris ! And how exciting ...the Lordship of the Manor is one of the oldest titles in England ! So, may I ask ,what Manor did you buy and how do you call yourself now ? smile It is ‘ideologically ’ very distant from the crowned owl in the crest and other charges ...

cachambers007

cachambers007
Joined  04-06-2011

09 September 2011 21:11

My Arms have just been added to the AHS Armorial.  The 2nd image shows the "Embellishment" service provided by David Wooten of NeoHeraldry.com.