New Member to Begin Designing

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

24 June 2011 22:47

Thanks so much!  I like it.  An interesting way to add the book to the crest.  I have a feeling others won’t care for it but I kinda dig it.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

24 June 2011 23:12

Don’t have time to sit in a classroom? Try our new "Education on a Stick"! For the modern family-on-the-go.

In all seriousness, I’m not sure what the take-away message is there.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

24 June 2011 23:29

Just in case:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/5867990599_a87d79b842_b.jpg

FWIW, I really dig the plain demi-bear sable for the crest.  Particularly if it correlates with a black bear in the crest…

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

24 June 2011 23:51

J. Stolarz;85252 wrote:

Instead of the bear resting his paw on the book, how about something a little different?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/BrokenChainsX/BearStab-1.png

Rightly dividing the word of truth?

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

25 June 2011 00:17

Never stab your books, or you’ll get the look of anger the bear possesses in the crest? wink

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 June 2011 22:20

Well, so long as neither you nor your descendants ever go into library science… smile ) the choice is yours.  Just please avoid "all of the above" as your answer!

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

05 September 2011 23:03

So I thought I had it all figured out and was ready to go.  I even had Josh create my first official emblazonment of my arms and right after that was done the "polar bear" issue came up again.  Some people thought the bear on my chief was a polar bear simply because it’s white.  Then they read the blazon and/or the meanings of everything and realized it wasn’t.  So I had Josh mock up one with the reverse colors on the chief to see which is better.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8526/carrascofinaljscopy.pnghttp://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6208/jtest1small.png

Here’s the thing.  Logically, I know the white chief/black bear is the better option because it makes more sense at first glance.  However, the color scheme of the original design is much more powerful to me and, therefore, I think a better shield.  I don’t dislike the white chief, but it definitely does not grab me the same way as the original design.

What does everyone think?  We’ve already tried adding some gold to it and that made it look worse.  I don’t want to go through a whole new design process because I really love my overall design and want to stay with what I have, but can’t decide if I should go with the one that I really love or the one that makes more sense to others.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 September 2011 23:11

Either is a good design.  I like the white chief/black bear better for two reasons:

1.  The bear in the crest matches the bear in the arms.  That’s a very central European thing to do.

2.  I really don’t think there’s enough contrast between black and green for a black ordinary on a green field to work well.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

05 September 2011 23:22

I have to say, I like the one on the left (black chief) better.  I’m sure some will say that the white chief is better "technically", but I just like the other one better.  I guess there is just too much white in the one on the right for me.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

06 September 2011 00:16

I did say that I didn’t like the one with the white chief during our PM’s, though I have to say it is growing on me.  It does all flow well together.

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

06 September 2011 08:39

I actually like both designs.  I agree with Joe in saying that the white chief definitely adds more contrast between the chief & the rest of the shield, not to mention it helps the black bear tie in more closely with the black bear in the crest.

I especially like the color of green you have chosen, and it definitely goes well with the black chief.  One thing I have to remember is to "color" my arms using various shades of green & blue.  After all, while the black & white may remain fairly constant, future renderings of your arms may result in other shades of green.  See if that helps you decide.

Overall, a very nice & well balanced look - - either way you go!  :cool:

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

06 September 2011 11:26

Artistic opinion, and green color selection is part of the reason I opted for my arms to only be vert and argent.  The argument being that at distance, a cooler green would blend into the black, so they opted for a very lime shade of green…which is not something I wanted.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 September 2011 11:35

i like both too. i prefer the original as for me there is too much Argent in the newer one for my own taste (that’s just personal opinion and has no merit), but i will concede the point Joe made in that there’s better contrast between Vert and Argent than Vert and Sable. i also agree with Joe that it mirrors the crest very well.

as for the whole polar bear issue, i’d say so what? if they think that, so what? you know what it is and in the end you have to live with it. now if it was you who thought that, then i’d say listen to that. but, not others.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

06 September 2011 11:54

You could also potentially request from an artist that he draw the bear with a more realistic body shape to either black bear, or more likely the brown bear due to your symbolism.  Brown bears have a very different build than a polar bear.  Unfortunately this lame artist went with an artistic version of the bear, and not realistic wink

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

06 September 2011 12:18

I should find a better artist then.  wink. Jk

I also really like the shade of green that Josh chose.  I think it works well with the black.  It would be very interesting to see an entirely different shade of green to see what that looks like.

I had considered blazoning it a brown bear argent but wondered if that sounded odd.  But it may be the way to go to avoid the polar bear issue.  I think if the head is drawn correctly people won’t see a polar bear.