Recent Arms granted to a Lieutenant in the USN

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 October 2011 04:15

A really nice exercise of artistic license!—any eventual heirs who may not share an obsession for the sea can, consistent with the blazon, use any of the many conventional variations of ermine spots; but for the Navy guy, the anchor version is a great idea.

And for those who just can’t wait for Andrew to colorize his own artwork—colored pencils will give you a fair idea, though not of course to Andrew’s standard.

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  29-09-2011

06 October 2011 04:26

Kathy McClurg;88309 wrote:

:rolleyes: I think the Naval Ermine spots look like anchors ...

Here’s my Dad’s arms.

http://jamiesongallery.com/choward2011.html

What I like about Andy’s black and white line drawings is that they really show off his training and skill.  You can hide a lot of mistakes by entertaining the eye with color but to really create a masterpiece the bare bones must be good…i.e…the artist must know how to draw EXTREMELY well.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

06 October 2011 04:52

Michael F. McCartney;88329 wrote:

And for those who just can’t wait for Andrew to colorize his own artwork—colored pencils will give you a fair idea, though not of course to Andrew’s standard.

Michael, I said I can’t wait to see the colored version of arms but I wouldn’t dare to turn Master’s design into ‘color-in’ or ‘dot to dot ’ sheet.BTW, how often did you encounter in your life real kid’s coloring books with truly heraldic stuff specially designed for this purpose?

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

06 October 2011 05:09

Kathy McClurg;88309 wrote:

:rolleyes: I think the Naval Ermine spots look like anchors ...

Kathy, that was my point.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

06 October 2011 05:15

Michael F. McCartney;88329 wrote:

A really nice exercise of artistic license!—any eventual heirs who may not share an obsession for the sea can, consistent with the blazon, use any of the many conventional variations of ermine spots; but for the Navy guy, the anchor version is a great idea.

Michael, you are not the first who wanted to reach for the coloured pencils !(actually I use them quite a lot for rough designs but don’t tell any one ) ;-D I would hope that Mikes descendants will want to keep the ‘Anchor Ermines’ and that they will be proud to have had a Dad, Grandfather etc that served his country.  I will probably devise another set of ermine for his Grant painting.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

06 October 2011 05:59

<sigh>  yeah, Andy - note the roilling eyed blue thingy… <sarcasm>

Besides, now on your FB page you can call me an "expert"  :p

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

06 October 2011 09:28

Andy, I think that is just a subtle expression of Kathy’s sense of humor.

Superb drawing, and I agree that the black and white version says a lot

about skill of the artist.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

06 October 2011 10:34

Joseph McMillan;88295 wrote:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Registration.Foreign#toc27

When the College of Arms grants honorary arms to an American of proven-British descent, are those arms grated to the ancestor and then cadenced down to the present applicant (as I think is done in Scotland), or are the arms granted anew to the applicant as an original armiger?

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

06 October 2011 16:00

I am sorry to join this discussion so late, as the arms in question, are mine! I am thrilled to have my achievement painted by Andy. I worked with him, particularily on the crest, while I was stationed in Germany last year. The winged sea-lion represents my military service (air-sea-land)... when I was a teenager, I served in the Civil Air Patrol (USAF Aux), then I enlisted in the US Army and served for 15 years before accepting a commission as a naval intelligence officer, where I served largely with SEAL teams!

The anchor is a clear allusion to the naval service, but also a Christian symbol of ‘hope’... I did, for a short time, study to become a Catholic priest and my faith is important to me. In fact, the motto is taken from St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans where he asks, "who will separate us from the love of God?" The motto, "Quis Separabit" is also used as the motto of the now defunct Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick; the Connaught Rangers (a maternal ancestor of mine fought with the CRs in the First World War); and the Irish Guards (a regiment I very nearly joined… since as a dual US/Irish citizen, I qualify to serve in the UK Armed Services). Finally, I have chosen the epistle from which this motto is derived as a reading in my up-coming wedding!

The arms are based, though significantly differenced, on a blazon granted to a distant family relation whom I am not a direct descendant of. I worked with the Lancaster Herald at the College to find a way to honour my ancestor’s arms while keeping mine distinct and unique, hence the blazon before you.

I am not British, per se, but rather Irish (and damn proud of it too!). I qualify for a British grant as my grandparents were born subjects of King Edward VII (albeit in Ireland). So there you have it. I hope that helps answer some questions.

Andy, I cannot wait to see what you have instore for the nautical border!!! Cheers!

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

06 October 2011 16:06

A quick correction on the blazon, if I may… The crest: "a naval crown [Or]" and the anchor is also Or, not Gules.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

06 October 2011 16:24

mquigley;88382 wrote:

A quick correction on the blazon, if I may… The crest: "a naval crown [Or]" and the anchor is also Or, not Gules.

Sorry Mike, I obviously posted some of the old blazon from the original e-mail….

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 October 2011 16:28

steven harris;88352 wrote:

When the College of Arms grants honorary arms to an American of proven-British descent, are those arms grated to the ancestor and then cadenced down to the present applicant (as I think is done in Scotland), or are the arms granted anew to the applicant as an original armiger?

They are granted (honorarily) to the applicant.

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

06 October 2011 17:20

No worries, mate… it did go through several drafts.

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  29-09-2011

07 October 2011 08:27

mquigley;88389 wrote:

No worries, mate… it did go through several drafts.

Just curious Mike.  Do you like the stars better than the one star?  I think I liked it better before…can’t decide really.  Don’t guess they gave you and Andy a choice though.

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 13:34

Hi Ce,

OK… that sounds like the old fruit juice drink we had as kids… remember?

Anyway… I think I do like the stary wings better than the one star before. It has a very American feel and somehow represents my service in the US Armed Forces, where the estoile was a random charge of no real significance. Both look great, but in the end, I think the semee of mullets (star-spangled) wings are best. I hope they grow on you. My fiancee (sp?) also said… "it looks too Hollywood now!" But in the end, I made a convincing argument for the stary wings and we just love it!