Recent Arms granted to a Lieutenant in the USN

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  29-09-2011

07 October 2011 13:57

mquigley;88429 wrote:

Hi Ce,

OK… that sounds like the old fruit juice drink we had as kids… remember?

Anyway… I think I do like the stary wings better than the one star before. It has a very American feel and somehow represents my service in the US Armed Forces, where the estoile was a random charge of no real significance. Both look great, but in the end, I think the semee of mullets (star-spangled) wings are best. I hope they grow on you. My fiancee (sp?) also said… "it looks too Hollywood now!" But in the end, I made a convincing argument for the stary wings and we just love it!

Andy did the stars on my dad’s bull for the same reason…they say, ‘I’m an American and proud of it!’  I didn’t like them in the black and white line drawing either but I love the finished artwork.  The photo doesn’t do it justice.  The gold looks amazing on that red.

http://jamiesongallery.com/choward2011.html

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 14:07

Ce, I love your dad’s coat of arms. Andy did him proud, no doubt. As a dual citizen, I can (if I want) chosse to highlight my being Irish at the expense of betraying myself as an American for concern over those who might scoff at the idea of an American having arms, but that would be disengenuous. I have served in the United States Armed Forces (Army and Navy) for 21 years; I make my home in America; and I was born here. So, I decided that my arms would honour both my Irish and my American citizenship (ironically through the College of Arms in London… from the very government that both America and later, Ireland fought bitter wars to extracate themselves from British rule… I do love irony!). While its not made clear in the coat of arms, my badge honours both the American and Irish… the badge will be a harp, the pillar and neck in the form of a winged, armless sealion (gold), encircled by 13 white stars… it all comes together!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2011 16:20

mquigley;88433 wrote:

the badge will be a harp, the pillar and neck in the form of a winged, armless sealion (gold), encircled by 13 white stars… it all comes together!

THis sounds great!... But I might have tried to include the arms of the sealion into the top of the harp… maybe…

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 16:29

Hey Kathy,

I elected to have the sealion harp be armless because the traditional Irish harp (as seen on the Royal coat of arms before 1922 when Ireland became a Free State) shows a winged, armless, bare-chested maiden… so the lion’s arms had to go… but, as the old song goes… "you can’t hide those lion arms"... er eyes, well, you see my point.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2011 16:44

So how about a Sealionness?.. you can get the boobs back!

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 16:57

LOL!  :rofl:

I’m gonna just leave it there!

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

07 October 2011 17:06

Kathy McClurg;88442 wrote:

LOL - ah Kathy - wonderful suggestion. The mind boggles ...... :mrgreen:

I’m curious about the 13 stars. Any significance?

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  29-09-2011

07 October 2011 17:16

Kathy McClurg;88442 wrote:

I leave for a minute and you guys go from stars to boobs.  You are going a bit off topic.  I told Andy what you are talking about and he said if you want to keep it heraldic he’ll paint you a Jungfraunadler and you can discuss her attributes. smile

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 17:20

I have seen Andy’s Jungfrauadler… frieghtful concept… I wonder how many Jaegermeisters and bier the German who imagined that creature must have had beforehand? Still… impressive set of jiblets!

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 17:23

Richard,

One of the very first flags flown by American patriots (okay, Andy… rebels!) was a flag versimilar to the American flag known today, except the blue canton had only 13 stars (the original 13 colonies) arranged in a circle. This flag is attributed to have been commissioned by George Washington and sewn by Betsy Ross… neither is true… but it makes for great legend!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2011 17:34

mquigley;88448 wrote:

Richard,

One of the very first flags flown by American patriots (okay, Andy… rebels!) was a flag versimilar to the American flag known today, except the blue canton had only 13 stars (the original 13 colonies) arranged in a circle. This flag is attributed to have been commissioned by George Washington and sewn by Betsy Ross… neither is true… but it makes for great legend!

This factual stuff is depressing…

I’m not quite sure what a Juger thingy is, but given the discussion… She’s probably not my type… maybe a boy lion with big kahunas?  I probably didn’t spell that right either…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

07 October 2011 18:14

mquigley;88448 wrote:

Richard,

Nor, for that matter, is it true that early flags generally had the stars arranged in a circle—as far as evidence is available, most had the stars in rows.  It’s also not quite true that any of these would have been "one of the very first," since the stars and stripes design wasn’t adopted until the war had been going on for more than two years.  But other than that…

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2011 18:21

And I bet that Maria of the Von Trapp Family wasn’t a nun either!  Or Washington didn’t cut down a cherry tree or… Some of us want blissful ignorance… wink

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

07 October 2011 20:22

mquigley;88429 wrote:

Anyway… I think I do like the stary wings better than the one star before. It has a very American feel and somehow represents my service in the US Armed Forces, ...

Michael, beautiful arms.  The stary wings also remind me of the US Jack wink

Andy did a phenomenal job with his rendition of your arms. I look forward to seeing the grant.

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 21:05

Hassan, you and me both!