Recent Arms granted to a Lieutenant in the USN

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

09 October 2011 10:01

Ce, Wow! Hitt’s arms are stunning and full of meaning. Being a serving officer and a combat vet, when I see tributes paid to an armiger’s military serve represented in heraldic expression, I am reminded of the very foundations of the genre… military art! I also love that some arigers, like you and Kathy McClurg for example, seek to honour their fathers and forebearers military service in heraldry. Its not that I see military service as a requirement for arms, far from it, but its good to see it in such a powerful, colourful, and meaningful expression. Well done, Andy! I love how you honour us… battle-scarred helms… keep up the good fight!

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

09 October 2011 10:29

Dear Andy,

On following this topic recently, have I missed the point somewhere?  You state that the Grant to Lieutenant Michael Quigley will be your ‘swansong’ in respect of producing grants for the College of Arms.  Can you elucidate?  If for private reasons, please forgive me asking.  I am only curious.

All the very best.

John

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

09 October 2011 10:52

liongam;88527 wrote:

Dear Andy,

On following this topic recently, have I missed the point somewhere?  You state that the Grant to Lieutenant Michael Quigley will be your ‘swansong’ in respect of producing grants for the College of Arms.  Can you elucidate?  If for private reasons, please forgive me asking.  I am only curious.

All the very best.

John

Hello John,

I have private messaged you.

Andrew

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

09 October 2011 12:02

Kathy McClurg;88517 wrote:

...Registered with the USHR and Armorial Register.  My father’s arms are registered with the ACH.

I can trace Dad’s family back to Ireland.  DNA can trace the family back to Scotland (Not good enough for authorities).  I’ve communicated briefly with the Lyon Court, Norry and Ulster and CHI.  The Lyon Court can’t do the grant because we can’t find the Scottish ancestor prior to the family heading to Ireland through traditional means (We know the families are linked and originated in Scotland via genealogy and DNA testing). Norry and Ulster probably can, but they don’t do women with crests and I refuse to give up the dragon, CHI can do it, but given the location of the family homestead - it’s more properly done by Norry and Ulster.

On top of all that - I’m adopted - so the whole thing would be a bit shady to any serious traditionalists… rolleyes

SO - there it is (and I must say, I’d rather spend my money on artwork than a registration) smile

So, I’ve publically laid my claim via the internet - and I’m good with that.

i don’t understand this. yes, i know the rationale behind the arms follow the name and the generally masculine nature of armory etc (blah, blah, blah). but in Ireland, at least, there was the practice of Tanistry, which is more than simply the next in line for a chiefship. people fostered their kids with others all the time and those kids often took the surname of the fostering family when surnames became prominent in Ireland. given this, i can’t understand why people get their panties in a bunch over adoption. as far as i see it, if i, as the father, choose to adopt the child then the child is entitled to every single piece of my life just as a child born of my genetic make up is. that’s why i’ve never liked the distinctions for adopted kids. for me and mine they are one and the same as biological kids.

as for CHI, you should look into it. yes, i understand the ‘gentleman’s agreement’ between UK and Ireland over this, but both sides have granted arms to people from the other side of the border since the separation of the states and the dissolving of UKA into CHI and Norry and Ulster King of Arms. heck, O Morchoe, a valid Irish chief, had his arms from both and as i understand it, though i don’t have proof to back up what i’m saying, when O Morchoe’s British Orders were upgraded a while ago he had them done from Norry and Ulster (again that’s what’s out there and i have no proof of that) and he resides in the Republic. so, i would encourage you to seek one there if you don’t want to loose your crest or if there’s an adoption issue, as the CHI has many examples of granting arms, with helm and crest, to women and i doubt you’d have issue over the adoption angle. i should email O Comain to make sure though…

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

09 October 2011 12:06

So, You think I should spend my money on a grant rather than more artwork?  <grin>

Either way, It will have to wait until next year in case I’m unemployed and will have to chew on the Dragon for sustinence…

Thanks for the words re: adoption - we’ve had the discussion previously here and over on IAAH.  I am proudly a McClurg and never felt otherwise.

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  29-09-2011

09 October 2011 16:27

Kathy McClurg;88535 wrote:

So, You think I should spend my money on a grant rather than more artwork?  <grin>

Either way, It will have to wait until next year in case I’m unemployed and will have to chew on the Dragon for sustinence…

Thanks for the words re: adoption - we’ve had the discussion previously here and over on IAAH.  I am proudly a McClurg and never felt otherwise.

You’re a friend of the family now.  Your money is no good here.  Just let us know what you’d like to have done.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

09 October 2011 17:02

mquigley;88524 wrote:

Ce, Wow! Hitt’s arms are stunning and full of meaning. Being a serving officer and a combat vet, when I see tributes paid to an armiger’s military serve represented in heraldic expression, I am reminded of the very foundations of the genre… military art! I also love that some arigers, like you and Kathy McClurg for example, seek to honour their fathers and forebearers military service in heraldry. Its not that I see military service as a requirement for arms, far from it, but its good to see it in such a powerful, colourful, and meaningful expression. Well done, Andy! I love how you honour us… battle-scarred helms… keep up the good fight!

Well I am not sure about that but I enjoyed this one. Mr Hitt is a wonderful man and has that personality and philosophy you only get with combat veterans. He wanted to honor his serving kids in the shield (his design) and the Crest was about him. No fuss, no bragging just a patriotic ex GI who likes to hunt and who had Scots and Native American ancestry.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

09 October 2011 17:35

Ce Howard;88543 wrote:

You’re a friend of the family now.  Your money is no good here.  Just let us know what you’d like to have done.

I’d never take advantage - that way, but we’d better get back on topic…

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

09 October 2011 18:52

Absolutely, lets get back on topic… what was the topic, again? Hmmmm, lemme see… ah yes, thats right… MY arms!

But enough about me, already… what do YOU think about me?

LOL

wink

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

27 September 2018 05:30

20180927 xiaoouszfsdfsd
ralph lauren outlet
christian louboutin outlet
nike shoes outlet
burberry outlet sale