Help - blazon of Springer arms

Massey Artist

Massey Artist
Total Posts:  4
Joined  14-07-2006

14 July 2006 13:09

Hello, I am new to Heraldry.  I have taken upon task for our family Coat of Arms.  As I am an Artist I wanted to paint it in its full color.  I have pretty much translated the Blazon but need the extra help in putting all together.  I need your expertise if anyone is willing.  The Blazon is as Follows:

"Ecartele: aux 1 et 4, de sable, a un cerf elance d’or, soutenu d’un tertre de sinople; aux 2 et 3, d’argent, a la fasce d’azur. Casque couronne."

Then it describes the crest:

"Le cerf, issuant, entre un vol coupe, a dextre de sable su or, a sen. D’arg sur azur.

I would so appreciate any help!

Sincere thanks,

massey artist:)

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

14 July 2006 15:39

The person mentioned in the following quote, Mr. Appleton (a member of this society), provided the graphic of the arms of Springer of Autriche (see below).  Out of curiosity, did you trace your paternal ancestor to Springer of Autriche?

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~heraldry/heraldry_s.html wrote:

The SPRINGER shield as seen in Rolland & Rolland’s illustrated version of Rietstap’s "Armorial General"...Picture courtesy of David Appleton.

ARMS:..Ecartele, aux 1 et 4, de sable a un cerf elance d’or, soutenu d’un tertre de sinople; aux 2 et 3, d’argent, a la fasce d’azur…Casque couronne.

CREST:..Le cerf, issuant, entre un vol coupe, a dextre de sable sur or, a senestre d’argent sur azur.

MANTLING:..Conformes aux emaux du vol.

NOTE:..This is the only entry for Springer in Rietstap’s "Armorial General", Vol. 2, pg. 815.

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~heraldry/h_springer1.gif# Springer of Autriche

Massey Artist wrote:

Hello, I am new to Heraldry.  I have taken upon task for our family Coat of Arms.  As I am an Artist I wanted to paint it in its full color.  I have pretty much translated the Blazon but need the extra help in putting all together.  I need your expertise if anyone is willing.  The Blazon is as Follows:

"Ecartele: aux 1 et 4, de sable, a un cerf elance d’or, soutenu d’un tertre de sinople; aux 2 et 3, d’argent, a la fasce d’azur. Casque couronne."

"Le cerf, issuant, entre un vol coupe, a dextre de sable su or, a sen. D’arg sur azur.

Sincere thanks,

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 July 2006 15:41

Massey Artist wrote:

Sincere thanks,

You haven’t supplied your translation, so I’ll have to start from scratch:

"Ecartele" means "quartered"—i.e. the shield cut into four pieces or "quarters" with the dividion lines forming a cross +

The quarters are numbered - 1 is upper left (as you look at it), 2 is upper right, 3 is lower left, 4 is lower right.  SO "aux 1 et 4" means "upper left and lower right quarters"

"sable" is Black, "or" is gold or yellow, "sinople" (in French usage—we would say "vert") is Green.  I’m not familiar with "elance" but it will refer to the way the "cerf" (deer) is positioned.  So you will have a black field or background, a gold deer (positioned "elance") on a green base (the bottom 1/5 or so of the field).

"aux 2 et 3" = upper right & lower left quarters.  "argent" = white or silver, "azur" (we would say "azure") = blue; "fasce" (we would say "fess") = a broad horizontal strpe (up to 1/3 of the field).  So the upper right & lower left quarters are white or silver with a wide blue stripe across the middle of each of these two quarters.  "Casque" = helmet, "couronee" = crowned with a simple coronet—so the quartered shield has a (probably silver) helmet with a (probably gold) coronet on top.

I’m late for lunch, so quickly - the crest has the front half of the gold deer issuing from the coronet, between two wings.  Each of the wings is divided into two colors by a horizontal dividing line.  The left wing (as you look at it) is colored Black over Gold, & the right wing is colored White or Silver over blue.

(NOTE that "dexter" & "sinister" technically mean "right & left respectively; but thuis is from the perspective of someone standing behind the shield & looking out from the helmet; so form your perspective looking at the arms from in front, "dexter" is to your left & "sinister" is to your right.  I’ve described them above in layman’s terms, from the observer’s perspective.)

Others will gleefully point out & correct any errors in my account!!

Please share your artwork with us!

Massey Artist

Massey Artist
Joined  14-07-2006

14 July 2006 18:35

Mr. McCartney, :-D

I cannot thank you enough for your assistance.  I’m sorry I did not show what I had already.  Please excuse me for that.  After 3 days of sorting through dozens of Heraldry websites I had managed to translate each word as you have described. It is the ability to put it into a sentence that was true to the picture and understandable.  Your explanation makes it so clear to me now!  You sir are the artist.  I especially had difficulty in understanding the coloring of the wings.  I would never had figured that out.

As to your other questions, I am happy to answer them.  I know of these particular coat of arms as my maiden name is Springer.  There were always whispered stories of scottish royal lineage and such, but doesn’t every family? My fathers Aunt did much research of the family name and as far as I know she only got as far as back definatively to a Jacob Springer 1801-1876, who married Anna Catherine Whittekiend, (I have to look up the specifics). That was back before the wonderful invention of the world wide web. As far as Heraldry is concerned that is not very far back, nor is it even conclusively our actual right to claim it, as I have in the past few days, learned to realize.  So to answer your question truthfully, no, we have not traced it all the way back. Although I do know it is not as common as "Smith" and hopefully easier to trace.

All of these years everyone in our family has had this awefull photocopy of the arms but nobody ever took the time to find out what it actually looked like in full color.  Thanks to your generosity maybe now I can change that.

(I wanted to insert the copy of the arms that I have but I don’t know how to.)  In the past few days of doing this research I find I am amazed at how wonderfully discriptive yet succinct blazons are.  No word is wasted and all appear very well thought out.

It would be a great challenge to see if I can delve farther into our family History.  As an Artist I am very busy but am always up for a good treasure hunt.

I would be happy to post the finished coat of arms if you tell me how to.  I guess I am used to my email and just inserting something.:oops: I hope I didn’t keep you from your lunch. Appologies.

Sincere Thanks,

Kim Massey

Massey Artist

Massey Artist
Joined  14-07-2006

14 July 2006 19:09

Thank you Mr. Swanson for the picture of the Springer Coat of Arms.  Also thank you to Mr. David Appleton.  I appologize, in my haste I believe I answered the questions you asked me about tracing back our lineage to Springer of Autriche, to Mr. McCartney.  Forgive me as I am not so addept at these forums. I was inspired that the copy of the coat of arms that I have matches the one you provided.  I was also happy to learn that yours added (Springer) "Of Autriche".  The information that has been handed down through our family of the arms includes the picture of the arms, the blazon of the shield and crest and a brief description of several Springers throughout history.  It also says that the coat of arms documentation was found in the Rietstap Armorial General.  I do not know why the images would be different.  Mine shows the Stag coming forth through the wings in the crest.

I wanted to double check my fathers’ aunts information on the crest for myself to make sure it was legitimate.  So the fact that yours is the same as mine is heartening.  Now comes for the daunting tasks of connecting a couple of hundred years of dots.

Thank you for you help and interest!

Sincere Thanks, Kim Massey

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

14 July 2006 20:40

If you cannot connect the genealogical dots, then there is a large possibility that the Springer arms described are not in a direct paternal line to you.  In that case, they are not yours to inherit.  This is the bad news that we give out routinely to people who discover arms "owned" by someone of the same last name.

Unless you can connect the ancestral dots, I would hold off on painting the arms.  You may discover that the Mr. Springer who bore the arms is a distant cousin, and not a great-great-etc. grandfather, so you will have painted someone else’s arms.

Massey Artist

Massey Artist
Joined  14-07-2006

15 July 2006 13:26

Yes, unfortunately you are correct on that.  In my own ignorance, I feel that I along with many others have always viewed having a family coat of arms as a sort of Novelty thing.  So as this whole thing started that is how I approached it.  During my search however, I have learned the importance of having a true lineage associated with the it.  I do appreciate your assistance however and at least I have a starting point to start further research.  Sincere Thanks, Kim Massey:)

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

15 July 2006 13:42

Massey Artist wrote:

Yes, unfortunately you are correct on that.  In my own ignorance, I feel that I along with many others have always viewed having a family coat of arms as a sort of Novelty thing.  So as this whole thing started that is how I approached it.  During my search however, I have learned the importance of having a true lineage associated with the it.  I do appreciate your assistance however and at least I have a starting point to start further research.  Sincere Thanks, Kim Massey:)

Now that you have reached the conclusion that most of us have come to at some point in our beginning interest in heraldry, continue researching where your paternal and maternal lines came from.  Also keep in mind that you may assume arms in America, and you can use this information for such a new design.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 July 2006 15:53

One little tidbit to add to the excellent information from the two Mikes: "Autriche" is simply French for "Austria," in case you weren’t aware of that. So Rietstap is telling you that this particular Springer family was from Austria—not a particularly big help, since there would have been many Springer families in Austria, but at least if you find that your family was from, say, Westphalia or Saxony, you’ll know that these are not your arms, but if your family was from Austria, there might be a connection worth pursuing.

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

24 July 2006 10:58

Just a few words to confirm all the things that have been said about the translation of the french blazon (Michael McCartney) and the meaning of "Autriche" (Joe McMillan).

I wish I could help earlier, but my summer is very busy…

Nicolas

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

24 July 2006 16:21

Nikolas—its McCartney, not McCarthy—think "Beatle" not "Prince of Desmond" smile

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

24 July 2006 18:16

Sorry, Mike !

I corrected my mistake.

For one famous Mc Cartney (Paul), I knew two famous Mc Carthy (the communists’ hunter and the bimbo). I suspect my reptilian brain followed the blonde’s trail.

Nicolas

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

25 July 2006 22:23

"reptilian brain…"  Curiously enough (in a desparate effort to remain "on-topic" for a heraldry forum) the crest of the MacCarthy Mor was a hand grasping a lizard.  All of which proves…not much I suppose…

roysmith99

roysmith99
Total Posts:  6
Joined  20-08-2006

20 August 2006 06:27

Hi there,

I hope you will accept some input from one who has until recently been a lurker on your wonderful site.

For my own part I can trace my mothers lineage directly to a granting of arms in 1583. However, that does not help me as previously mentioned in here only direct male heirs can rightfully bear those arms, if they can prove it with documentary evidence.

My solution was to incorporate soem key features in the coat I deisgned for myself, as you will see in my avatar, the charge I incorprated was the Lion Rampant Gules in base - that’s not the full blazon of course.

So one posisble solution is to design your own - you coudl start with a common ancestor and emblazon it for each branch and generation forwards.

Just a humble thought.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

21 August 2006 21:05

There are two approaches to designing new arms.  (Well, maybe 20 or 200, but I’m only addressing two of them)

One is to design arms strictly for oneself, and perhaps one’s own descendants, with no intent that they be used by cousins, siblings etc.  In this case, one will of course focus entirley on one’s own tastes, preferences, achievements, interests etc.  Internationally, this appears to be the more usual practice in England, though of course not 100%.  The goal is the most meaningful personal symbol.

Another is to design arms for one’s entire family, beginning "as if" the arms pertained to a particular ancestor & all his descendants (or at least those bearing the same surname).  In this case, the focus is not on self, but on what would be meaningful one way or another to the whole family.  Again internationally, this is the general approach in Scotland, though of course not 100%. Sometimes these essentially attributed arms will be differenced for each individual, or perhaps each major branch; other times not.  Either way, the overall goal is the most meaningful symbol of family "belonging" and shared pride.

I’m an advocate for the second of these two approaches, though of course "to each his own."  Whichever way you go, however, what I believe is important, is to have clearly in one’s own mind which approach you want to take, and then collect relevant info and consider appropriate charges & design themes accordingly.  The results will likely vary greatly, depending on which way you’re trying to go.

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

09 October 2018 23:31

dczxcv
cc20181010
birkenstocks
hermes birkin
timberland boots
pandora charms
ugg australia