Heraldry Etiquette

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

26 November 2011 03:25

Considering how effective it proved to be, it’s curious the French never took up the war bow.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 November 2011 11:40

Perhaps pride—not willing to admit that the weapon of choice of a "mere" English foot soldier was worthy of emulation?

Or perhaps not willing to arm and train their peasantry?  Think "jaquerie" (OK, mis-spelled; peasant revolt).  Occasionally losing to the English was bad enough; facing their own peasants armed with longbows would have endangered their very way of life.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

21 March 2013 02:00

I witnessed a soldier step on a unit crest laid into the floor one time. Then witnessed him stripping and waxing the area of the floor with a series of small toothbrushes and hand rags.

Luckily, he was in front of me, or I would have been doing it. wink

Brad Smith

Brad Smith
Total Posts:  182
Joined  12-02-2009

21 March 2013 18:34

As a freshman at my high school, I was told not to walk on the seal in the front hall during my orientation assembly.

It’s strange, but thirty years later I seem to avoid walking on seals without thinking about it.

zebulon

zebulon
Total Posts:  65
Joined  23-12-2013

12 August 2014 14:58

Every schoolchild in Washington state is told, when taking the obligatory field trip to the state capitol, that the bronze representation of the Seal of the State - which was inlaid in the floor of the rotunda in 1929 - is surrounded by stanchions as a result of a protest staged by the Sons of the Revolution that year, who were outraged that people were able to walk across it.

Here’s a photo of the stanchions (85 years and they still haven’t devised a permanent architectural fixture ...) -

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Uxm0ntRlbpw/0.jpg

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

12 August 2014 19:46

A lot of army units have the ‘do not walk’ tradition when it comes to unit crests being placed on the floor.