ikkon andre yamashita???

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

04 August 2010 01:01

does anyone know what happened to Ikkon Andre Yamashita? he is a most excellent heraldic artist and for more than a year now he has dropped off the face of the "e" world. he had hit some tough times several years ago and through the aid of his brothers in the EOHSJ he was able to come through them and continue his work. but since he has disappeared from the "e" world i have not seen or heard anything about him including people obtaining new emblazons from him. so, does anyone know?

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

04 August 2010 01:31

Ditto, I wrote him a while back and he never responded.  I hope he is okay.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

04 August 2010 11:28

Don’t know. He just fell off the face of the earth. Perhaps he simply got tired of maintaining his website?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

04 August 2010 13:54

that could be Fr. could be. that’s why i hope someone here has talked with him sometime during the past year. maybe even got an emblazon from him. if he’s retired from heraldic painting that would be a great loss imo. so, i hope he’s fine and all is well and he’s just on a sabbatical (sp?) for a while.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

04 August 2010 14:00

I tried writing him several years ago, but unfortunately I never received a reply.

I must say I greatly admire his, and the late archbishop Heim’s, style.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

04 August 2010 14:04

me too Claus. me too.

Padberg Evenboer

Padberg Evenboer
Total Posts:  32
Joined  04-01-2006

30 November 2011 16:54

Today I was very pleased to receive a greeting card with message from Ikkon. He’s doing fine and has found a job in Yokohama.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Joined  25-05-2005

30 November 2011 17:12

Wonderful news!

I hope he is still drawing arms!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

30 November 2011 17:39

that is wonderful news. i too hope he is still painting.

Padberg Evenboer

Padberg Evenboer
Joined  04-01-2006

30 November 2011 18:15

I still have to write him if he’s still active in heraldry. Last time we had contact he had to give up his activities regarding heraldry.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Joined  25-05-2005

30 November 2011 20:08

What a shame if he’s given up, I know that there’s quite a few of us that would love an emblazonment by him. I know I certainly would!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

30 November 2011 20:27

I guess he was fairly broken-hearted when his book was published in 2006 and he didn’t have the copyright; or was not printed with his permission; or something like that.

Quote:

Stemmario Ikkon Andre Yamashita Il Keun Kimyong Kimmhae, ESHA, Salvatorangelo Spanu, Torino, 2006, a colori, pp. 303 (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)).

Nella sua consueta adesione ad elevati criteri di bellezza estetica l’editore Salvatorangelo Palmerio Spanu, presidente dell’E.S.H.A. (European Society of Heraldic Arts) ha stampato questo stemmario di Ikkon Andre Yamashita su carta della cartiera Fedrigoni con i caratteri bodoniani della fonderia I.T.C. di New York, non intendendo presentare con esso una panoramica completa dell’opera del giovane artista, ma offrendone solo una selezione “senza pretese di perfezione”, incoraggiato a ciĆ² dall’amico Valter Caffaro…..

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

The Armorial of Ikkon Andre Yamashita Kimyong Kimmhae Keun, ESHA,  Salvatorangelo Spanu, Turin, 2006, color,  pp. 303 (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)).

In his usual adherence to high standards of aesthetic beauty editor Salvatorangelo Palmerio Spanu, President dell’ESHA (European Society of Heraldic Arts) has printed this Ikkon Andre Yamashita Armorial of the paper mill Fedrigoni with fonts ITC Bodoni foundry New York, intending to present it with a complete overview of the work of young artist, but only a selection of leaders by "no claim to perfection", encouraged by his friend Walter to what Caffaro….

<...>

The work is dedicated to Bruno Bernard Heim, "my unforgettable teacher", translated into English by Andrew Martin Garvey, carries a comprehensive preface by Maurizio Bettoja, which is given here: "He lives and works in Japan, one of the most brilliant contemporary artists of arms, whose name origin is Korean Kim Il-Keun de Kimyong, but is more known as Japanese Ikkon Andre Yamashita. Despite the cultural distance and heraldry of Korea and Japan from Europe, Yamashita is completely master of heraldry European Union, which declines in the style of one of the greatest masters of modern heraldic design: SE Archbishop Bruno Bernard Heim Rev.ma, which Yamashita was a friend and student who continues faithfully and style, a style which has made a new and vital European contemporary all’Araldica. Rev. Heim was interested in this old student of Korean origin and coming from an Eastern country so distant culturally, but that is the only country outside Europe to have a system of arms, one of the world, though very different from Europe, making known European heraldry and heraldic by forming the taste ...

The de-Keun Kim Kimjong, whose legal name is Japanese Ikkon Andre Yamashita was born in Oita in 1974. Yamashita has completed his studies at the Jesuit school in Fukuoka, and 13 years converted to Catholicism, following his vocation for a religious life.

He studied international law, criminal law, and canon law at the University of Sophia in Tokyo. From an early age he studied and played the piano, and likes long walks in the mountains. Annuity is a member of the Swiss Society of Heraldry. Yamashita, who could not access the seminars because of discrimination anticoreana Japanese, wrote to Cardinal Jacques Martin (&#8224; 1992), former Prefect of the Pontifical House, who invited him to Rome at Christmas 1991. Cardinal Martin was a passionate student of heraldry (the author of Heraldry in the Vatican, 1987), and a friend of Archbishop Bruno Bernard Heim, which had many paintings of arms.

These were to intrigue and stimulate young Yamashita, who did not know the European heraldry, and in particular the arms of some Japanese bishops, who gave birth to the desire to investigate the matter. The first text I studied was the Japanese edition of Das Buch der big Wappenkunst Walter Leonhard, who found a second hand bookstore in Tokyo, tried to copy the arms, and from there his passion grew heraldry.

In 1996 he found the address of Archbishop Heim Pontifical Yearbook, and recalling the paintings at the Cardinal Martin, decided to write. Archbishop Heim answered him with great kindness, inviting him with him in Switzerland: from that trip came a warm friendship and repeated visits, and especially Archbishop Heim was the master of heraldry and heraldic design for his young student, expressing the desire, if possible, that Yamashita would follow his heraldic style.

A Yamashita Archbishop Heim gave many books on heraldry, and especially the drawings on tracing paper from the 60s, especially at the last visit of Yamashita in Olten in 2002, when Archbishop Heim wanted his student take all the books, drawings and materials of which he needed from his archive, the library and its collections, as he had in his will for his books and his works to the library of heraldry Heraldry Society of Switzerland, where they are currently stored.

Yamashita returned to Japan with six suitcases full of drawings and paintings, books of heraldry and the knightly orders, as well as several significant items donatigli by Archbishop Heim, where one of his pectoral cross, the silver platter to his guns Other pieces of silverware, a large part of its archives including the short Papal Nuncio to the appointment in England, his passport Vatican, even his hat, and many other things.

Yamashita faithfully follows the "style Heim", perhaps with greater simplicity and, almost, than the solemnity of his great model. The reference, mediated by Archbishop Heim, all’araldica medieval re-emerges in the essentiality of the sign, the essentiality of the stroke, in flat colors, and in a certain primitivism image.

Particularly beautiful are the animals and lively, humorous and ironic, and a sense reveals itself in some images, such as the eagle grasping a mouse in its beak, and others. I have always painted, even the formality of representation - a great animation, a vital sense of movement, quality, present in the work of Archbishop Heim, has also developed in the style of his successor, although in this painting and drawing very contemporary style, rooted in the best and most vital heraldic tradition.

The search for continuity with the "style Heim," which is in fact widespread among the heraldic artists, Yamashita is in his best and most spontaneous expression, without the woodiness and lack of invention that is sometimes found in other designers. Yamashita’s paintings, in addition to the great aesthetic and safe agility tract, are of great precision heraldry, and behind each design there is a detailed research heraldry, which leads to a jumble of elements, but tends rather to the essential, the make the iconic weapon.

Yamashita is a member of the European Society of Heraldic Arts, and the company wanted to publish this volume dedicated to his work, he wants to be an ideal continuation of the Book of the Archbishop of Heim amicorum and a tribute to this extraordinary heraldry.

The Armorial includes many famous names, famous names and lesser known names, both ancient and coats of arms, is freely offered today: it’s a real contemporary brands of armes.

Of course, the Order of Malta is widely represented on the membership of the Order Yamashita, starting from the Sovereign Grand Master Fra Andrew Bertie, and continuing with major offices such as…. In addition to the arms of the reigning Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI in the traditional version, the arms of the Sovereign Houses are widely represented: ... In addition, many coats of arms are the concomitant of free demonstration of the constant vitality of heraldry, the expression of a natural propensity to stand and duration, and that, like everything that is heraldry, is projected to future generations in continuity with the past: represent the beginning of a race.

Remember the words of a famous general and Duke Napoleon, who, to an aristocrat who, after having enumerated his ancestors, asked on behalf of his said fiercely: "Moi, je suis a ancetre. ‘"

Ikkon certainly, as all artists have always, you should also ask the rigor in the allocation of crowns or distinctions of nobility, who may not find an endorsement by the State Offices of arms of delegates still in the world to play this role specific.

That’s why, in the beautiful setting of this modern collection of coats of arms can occur peacefully ‘coats of arms free assumption "as he calls them rightly Bettoja and titlings or crowns that do not always represent a right legally owned and protected by the person who uses it as a His mark of personal distinction. (MLP)

source

Padberg Evenboer

Padberg Evenboer
Joined  04-01-2006

01 December 2011 14:12

Guy Power;90251 wrote:

I guess he was fairly broken-hearted when his book was published in 2006 and he didn’t have the copyright; or was not printed with his permission; or something like that.

I know that this is one reason for him to be very unsattisfied. It was not that he did not owned the copyright, he even did not get a copy of his work. As far as I know most of the artistic work in this book was not payd for by the armigers that had their coat of arms portrayed. And many of the arms were exclusively done for this book. So Ikkon was not payd for his artistic work as well as for a fair share of the publishing. He was really exploited, and that by an heraldic association that did not even exist, but was just setup for this occasion. A real shame.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

01 December 2011 17:36

Padberg Evenboer;90265 wrote:

I know that this is one reason for him to be very unsattisfied. It was not that he did not owned the copyright, he even did not get a copy of his work. As far as I know most of the artistic work in this book was not payd for by the armigers that had their coat of arms portrayed And many of the arms were exclusively done for this book. So Ikkon was not payd for his artistic work as well as for a fair share of the publishing. He was really exploited, and that by an heraldic association that did not even exist, but was just setup for this occasion. A real shame.

It’s a real shame.The original Italian version of text contains a long list of armigers that had their COA published in this book.Pretty good gallery of aristocratic names or so and this heraldic association that did not exist !

How something like that could happen to a man who studied criminal and international law :confused:

http://www.iagi.info/rivistanobilta/2006/Recensioni2006-07.htm

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

01 December 2011 20:08

Aquilo;90270 wrote:

It’s a real shame.The original Italian version of text contains a long list of armigers that had their COA published in this book.Pretty good gallery of aristocratic names or so and this heraldic association that did not exist !

How something like that could happen to a man who studied criminal and international law :confused:

http://www.iagi.info/rivistanobilta/2006/Recensioni2006-07.htm

Your comment reminds me of the old adage:  A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.

In Ikkon’s case, however, I think he simply took it on faith that since he was dealing with chivalric individuals (i.e., aristocratic people and people in knightly or even religious orders) that he would be dealt with fairly and honestly.  I admit I make the same presumption when dealing with others in the orders and the professional societies to which I belong.  I guess this is a lesson for all of us.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

02 December 2011 06:07

It a real shame that Mr Yamashita have been treated in this way. But as we all sadly know, even the world of Heraldry is not without it crooks. Hopefully Mr Yamashita will get some restitution.