Membership Help

O. Wrigley-Pimley-McKerr

O. Wrigley-Pimley-McKerr
Total Posts:  6
Joined  07-12-2011

12 December 2011 01:54

I paid for membership on the 4th through PayPal but I haven’t received any sign I have been accepted.  I emailed the address used for the PayPal account (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)), but it bounced back.  Then I sent a private message through the forum to the Secretary, but that hasn’t been replied to either.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

12 December 2011 09:03

First, welcome aboard. Second, be patient - I understand that new activations are entered manually by volunteers on the board.  I had to wait a bit when I joined, as well.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

12 December 2011 09:34

First off, welcome and thank you for becoming a member.

Secondly, please be aware that we’re all volunteers here and nobody is a paid employee.

Third, I’m surprised that the email address governors@americanheraldry.org bounced since we get emails there all the time without any issue.

Fourth, you account is now upgraded.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

12 December 2011 18:57

Welcome!  Darth Andreou to the rescue!

O. Wrigley-Pimley-McKerr

O. Wrigley-Pimley-McKerr
Total Posts:  6
Joined  07-12-2011

13 December 2011 09:59

kimon;90441 wrote:

Third, I’m surprised that the email address governors@americanheraldry.org bounced since we get emails there all the time without any issue.

Fourth, you account is now upgraded.

Thank you.  If applications usually take this long, I advise removing the notice saying to allow 24-48 hours for processing.

This is the error message from the bounced email:

Quote:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

governors@americanheraldry.org

SMTP error from remote mail server after DATA:

host smtp.secureserver.net [216.69.186.201]: 550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited.

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

13 December 2011 10:06

O. Wrigley-Pimley-McKerr;90531 wrote:

Thank you.  If applications usually take this long, I advise removing the notice saying to allow 24-48 hours for processing.

Usually it is within that window but, as volunteers, things come up.

Quote:

This is the error message from the bounced email:
Quote:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

governors@americanheraldry.org

SMTP error from remote mail server after DATA:

host smtp.secureserver.net [216.69.186.201]: 550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited.

The bolded part above means that there is a problem with your email address/provider. In other words, GoDaddy (our email provider) has determined that the email service you are using is suspect and has been associated with spam in the past. This does not mean that you are a spammer but rather that the email service you employ has been misused by others.

I’m sure this has happened to you and others on the same service more than once and would advise that you contact your email provider so that they address this matter.

If you are technically inclined, you can read all about it here: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4408.txt

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

13 December 2011 11:33

Kimon, sorry this is off topic a bit, but where would you recommend someone like me go to help me better understand this ever-developing technology world? I am tired of being ignorant of IT stuff and, frankly, tired of feeling stupid because I can’t figure a lot of these things out! So, where would you recommend someone like me go to figure out such things so I am at least capable of understanding/doing basic things other than email, FB etc?

(I’m doing the same for my phone…have had a Droid X2 for about 6 months now and still don’t use much of it…so going to take Verizon’s free classes on how to use a smart phone)

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

13 December 2011 11:49

Donnchadh;90536 wrote:

Kimon, sorry this is off topic a bit, but where would you recommend someone like me go to help me better understand this ever-developing technology world? I am tired of being ignorant of IT stuff and, frankly, tired of feeling stupid because I can’t figure a lot of these things out! So, where would you recommend someone like me go to figure out such things so I am at least capable of understanding/doing basic things other than email, FB etc?

(I’m doing the same for my phone…have had a Droid X2 for about 6 months now and still don’t use much of it…so going to take Verizon’s free classes on how to use a smart phone)

Sheesh, Denny!  I’ve got an "old fashioned" flip phone that can’t do anything except send and receive telephone calls.  I am GRATEFUL that I do not understand FaceBook, iPhone, tweeting, etc.  Too much noise in today’s world.  I read a pastoral letter yesterday extolling the joys of holy silence in today’s world.

Quoting Kierkegaard, he writes:
Quote:

‘The present state of the world and the whole of life is diseased. If I were a doctor and I were asked for my advice, I should reply: “Create silence! Bring people to silence!” The Word of God cannot be heard in the noisy world of today. And even if it were trumpeted forth with all the panoply of noise so that it could be heard in the midst of all the other noise, then it would no longer be the Word of God. Therefore, create silence!’  (emphasis added)

And to ensure my post does not get deleted for not being heraldry-related ... here is the coat of arms of his diocese:

http://www.dioceseofaberdeen.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/logo.jpg

Silently yours,

—Guy

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

13 December 2011 15:50

The discussion on learning about technology has been moved to the off topic section of the members’ area: http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6355

This thread is now closed - if anyone has questions about this particular thread, please PM me.