Unauthorized sharing of artwork

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

21 December 2011 12:49

Donnchadh;90918 wrote:

The link to the blog that’s in this thread: http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6370

OK… what’s wrong with it? It scans clean for malware and any other threats.

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http://heraldist.blogspot.com/2011/09/coat-of-arms-of-garcilaso-de-la-vega.html

Also, if you knew this was a risk why did you not notify me or anyone else responsible for the forum when you found out?

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

21 December 2011 13:30

Donnchadh;90911 wrote:

For the record, Kimon and Terry, I may not be as smart as either of you two in much of anything

Whoa Denny!  I was simply saying the code he posted before was not a hack or a block of anything.  I sure never implied or stated that you were not smart or anything else.  Actually…I think you are smart…a little on a limb sometimes…

Oh…and being out on a limb every once in a while is what I like about you.  Personally that is what I think helps make you the artist you are and it should not be trifled with.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

21 December 2011 14:30

Donnchadh;90918 wrote:

The link to the blog that’s in this thread: http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6370

Now, in between visits to clients homes and classes at the school where I was teaching art I would hit the WWW. However, and perhaps it’s dangerous saying this, but I only go to certain places and I am OCD (not really) enough to go in this manner: email in my yahoo account, FB, AHS, and the other heraldry place. I run a scan before I log on to the WWW and again when I’m done. And since I never get the ‘Webroot blocked…’ while visiting those places, it can only be the place I went that one day, which was that blog. Now, is that proof? I don’t know. But, I know of at least one other member/guest here had stuff blocked as well. To me, well, where there’s smoke there’s fire. This is why I’m saying this.

Dennis, it took me some time to read this thread not once but twice.

The link you submitted leads directly to MY post opening new thread.

Is there a suggestion that I posted link to the blog with a virus I planted in order to destroy PC’s of all visiting it? What a ridiculous thought !

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

21 December 2011 14:46

kimon;90919 wrote:

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http://heraldist.blogspot.com/2011/09/coat-of-arms-of-garcilaso-de-la-vega.html

Also, if you knew this was a risk why did you not notify me or anyone else responsible for the forum when you found out?

I didn’t "know" until after I was there. If I did know before hand why would I have gone there? And I did notify as soon as I realized it and put1 and 1 together ... hence my response on page 1 asking it to be removed.

It is clear, however, we are going to go in circles and, frankly, I want off this merry-go-round. So, say or do whatever the hades you want to. I care not anymore other than it now gives me questions as to if I really want to be here anymore despite how the heck long I have been here.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

21 December 2011 14:48

Donnchadh;90933 wrote:

kimon;90919 wrote:

I didn’t "know" until after I was there. If I did know before hand why would I have gone there? And I did notify as soon as I realized it and put1 and 1 together ... hence my response on page 1 asking it to be removed.

Read what I wrote. I’ve put in bold the important part.

All you did obliquely refer to malware and say "that blog". Not exactly specific now is it?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 December 2011 14:58

Terry;90925 wrote:

Whoa Denny!  I was simply saying the code he posted before was not a hack or a block of anything.  I sure never implied or stated that you were not smart or anything else.  Actually…I think you are smart…a little on a limb sometimes…

Oh…and being out on a limb every once in a while is what I like about you.  Personally that is what I think helps make you the artist you are and it should not be trifled with.

Sorry then. My fault. I thought you were mocking as Kimon did saying anyone could google it and implying I couldn’t do that (which to be honest I don’t think I could as I get frustrated with Google more often than not). My bad. I’m sorry.

And truth be told I’m not smart, but I ain’t entirely dim either, I’m just average in almost every way one can be (coaching and art are the only things I care to excell at and try to excell at) because that’s what I want to be…even if I were some sort of MENSA man, which I’m not, though I was close, I would want to be normal/average it’s where I’m comfortable.

Yes, it’s true I am out on a limb often if that’s akin to being odd. I am odd. Always have been. Always will be. It’s how I’m wired. I couldn’t escape it if I tried. At one time I love the opera and ballet and at another I love a boxing fight or football. I’m comfortable in a tuxedo and jeans. Though I do prefer the jeans and football. That’s odd. No one I know likes both things…more often than not people are either/or. Not me. I’m generally a both/and guy, so it does make me odd.

The only time I truly get either or is on issues of justice relating to anything. Only then do I see things black and white clearly enough to assert as much by what I say or write. Sometimes that rubs people wrong. Usually that’s an accident. When I’m pissed I say it…I don’t imply it. On issues of justice, or right and wrong if you will, I lay it out there and to hades with what people think. I guess that’s what get’s me in trouble so much here. So be it. At least I’ve kept that down to a bare minimum. This latest issue, however, was just too much and did involve the AHS by use of the thread, so that’s why I was so adamant about it.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 December 2011 15:02

kimon;90934 wrote:

Read what I wrote. I’ve put in bold the important part.

All you did obliquely refer to malware and say "that blog". Not exactly specific now is it?

Refer to my last post to you. No need to be specific anymore. Do what you want again I care not.

cachambers007

cachambers007
Total Posts:  164
Joined  04-06-2011

21 December 2011 15:34

If you don’t like adding visual watermarks over the artwork you can still employ Steganography tools which can invisibly encode IDs or other data into a particular image. This would allow you to prove the origin of a given image. You can even put different data into different copies of the same image and determine which source was the leak.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;90897 wrote:

Statcounter is a good tracker.  We are even able to pick up Kimon’s ip.  I’ve never liked watermarks but Kimon is right Coach.  We are going to add them to all images going forward.

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

21 December 2011 16:12

an idea along these lines - Steganography tools - I usually place a very small mark in the same place on every piece I do.  It is not obvious but if needed, it proves beyond a doubt it is mine

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 December 2011 18:38

I will thank any person(s) who feels it is their duty to email me on my private email regarding any AHS matter including informing how "clueless" I am on anything to please refrain from doing so. That borders on harassment in my book regardless of your position with AHS. If you have anything to say to me regarding an AHS matter please use the vehicle provided by AHS—the forum or the PM—to do so. My private email is for friends, family, clients and business associates…not any person affiliated with AHS, be they a board member, member or guest, relating to AHS matters or to inform me of how "clueless" I am. Other matters, that is different. Thank you.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

22 December 2011 01:34

Donnchadh;90966 wrote:

I will thank any person(s) who feels it is their duty to email me on my private email regarding any AHS matter including informing how "clueless" I am on anything to please refrain from doing so. That borders on harassment in my book regardless of your position with AHS. If you have anything to say to me regarding an AHS matter please use the vehicle provided by AHS—the forum or the PM—to do so. My private email is for friends, family, clients and business associates…not any person affiliated with AHS, be they a board member, member or guest, relating to AHS matters or to inform me of how "clueless" I am. Other matters, that is different. Thank you.

Someone’s Irish is up!  wink

I think I’d have started a new thread on this one…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 December 2011 06:16

Could the moderators please delete this entire useless and unedifying thread?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

22 December 2011 12:20

My asking people to refrain from using my works of art without my written permission is hardly "useless" Joe.

My asking a certain AHS board member to refrain from sending me emails to my personal email, without naming him so as to avoid putting him in a bad light, is hardly "useless" Joe.

What is "useless" imo as a society member is the lack of control of persons who represent thes AHS in issues like this. That, Joe, is truly "useless". Considering his actions I think I’ve been very restrained. Certainly more than I want to be. There’s NO EXCUSE to harass someone on their priva te email because your panties are in a bunch, but especially if you represent this society in a formal capacity!

Kathy, you’re dang right my Irish is up. I know you’re joking and trying to make this situation easier and believe me I am thankful for that, but honestly, if anyone here got a personal email calling you "clueless" and saying ‘you’re committing a crime by implying something’ they’d be just as dang upset as me. But, I thank you for trying to introduce some light-heartedness here. You’re a better person than I am. smile Now, if the powers that be here can not protect their members from their own board members on such a thing then there is a problem. No one, not me, not Joe, not anyone, should get personal emails from a board member going on like this one did when we are constantly reminded by some board members, maybe including this one, that issues relating to AHS need be taken care of in PM here at AHS. Now, if it’s good for us regular members, it should be good enough for the board members. Period.

I would ask the moderators, if they remove anything at all, to at least leave the initial post up since I do not want my pieces used in this manner and should have the right to ask that here in public.

P.S. I have had several people contact me via PM and email who said they too had to remove things picked up like this. Hardly an individual incident relating to myself I dare say. I’ve asked them to contact you people directly so you can see this isn’t some singular issue with me. And if it is related to that link, which even an ignorant IT person like myself knows that anything put there can be removed once what they wanted was obtained so no surprise not seen now, then it relates directly to AHS since it was picked up by going to a link posted here. Again that would hardly be a "useless" thing to know.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 December 2011 13:28

Donnchadh;90991 wrote:

My asking people to refrain from using my works of art without my written permission is hardly "useless" Joe.

No, this was fair.

Quote:

My asking a certain AHS board member to refrain from sending me emails to my personal email, without naming him so as to avoid putting him in a bad light, is hardly "useless" Joe.

Yes it is.  It’s certainly useless for the rest of us to have to read.  That’s what the PM function is for.  Why you think your email is off-limits for this kind of discussion is a mystery to me, but as you’re fond of saying, "so be it."

Quote:

What is "useless" imo as a society member is the lack of control of persons who represent thes AHS in issues like this. That, Joe, is truly "useless". Considering his actions I think I’ve been very restrained. Certainly more than I want to be. There’s NO EXCUSE to harass someone on their priva te email because your panties are in a bunch, but especially if you represent this society in a formal capacity!

An email is not harassment, it’s a mode of communication.  You’ve been spouting drivel about a subject you know nothing about and have admitted you know nothing about.  I don’t know anything about it either—I’m talking about computer code, and malware, and viruses, and all of that.  And now when Kimon tries to tell you privately, off-line, that you’re out of line, you insist on dragging the issue back into the public eye again.

Quote:

...that issues relating to AHS need be taken care of in PM here at AHS. Now, if it’s good for us regular members, it should be good enough for the board members. Period.

Yes—PM as opposed to an open discussion on the forum.  No one has ever said people should use PM instead of e-mail.

Quote:

P.S. I have had several people contact me via PM and email who said they too had to remove things picked up like this. Hardly an individual incident relating to myself I dare say. I’ve asked them to contact you people directly so you can see this isn’t some singular issue with me. And if it is related to that link, which even an ignorant IT person like myself knows that anything put there can be removed once what they wanted was obtained so no surprise not seen now, then it relates directly to AHS since it was picked up by going to a link posted here. Again that would hardly be a "useless" thing to know.

Denny, quite frankly I have no idea what you’re talking about.  Yes, some of us including myself have had images lifted without permission.  But what Alexander Liptak’s blog has to do with it is beyond me, assuming that’s what you mean by "that link."  And as Kimon and others have tried to explain, there is practically no way to prevent that.  You can put things in your images from watermarks to tiny little pixel-sized elements to enable you to prove that an image was stolen, but even I can defeat most copy-prevention code with a simple screen-shot.  For example,

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=991&stc=1&d=1324578439

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=990&stc=1&d=1324578439

And I am clueless as to how any of this works.