Registering arms in Spain??????

harold cannon

harold cannon
Total Posts:  240
Joined  30-03-2011

31 December 2011 20:51

Does anyone know anything about registering arms with Spain? The person who is over heraldic matters for our clan wants me to register my arms in Spain. He gave me the information but it is in spanish so I have to get it translated and then have to go through the process of getting them rigistered. I was just hoping maybe someone here has done this and could help.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

31 December 2011 21:47

harold cannon;91307 wrote:

Does anyone know anything about registering arms with Spain? The person who is over heraldic matters for our clan wants me to register my arms in Spain. He gave me the information but it is in spanish so I have to get it translated and then have to go through the process of getting them rigistered. I was just hoping maybe someone here has done this and could help.

Hi Harold,

The subject has been discussed quite a bit in the past.  Please do a search for "Spanish Registration" or "Cronista Rey de Armas", etc.  Here’s one example:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6307&highlight=spanish+certification

Happy New Year!

—Guy

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

31 December 2011 22:10

Or even, as for most registration questions, check the AHS website, or see this thread:  http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6255

You might want to advise Scott that there is no one legally authorized to register personal arms in Spain at present.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

31 December 2011 22:40

That was my understanding as well but he had stated that they were still registering arms as of recent so is this a scam or what?

EDIT: I just sent Scott an email as to see why I would need to register them in Spain and informed him of what you have said. I hope to hear from him soon.

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

01 January 2012 01:37

There is alot of outdated information and even some misinformation regarding Spanish heraldry on the internet.  The person overseeing heraldic matters for your clan should read the Spain section of the foreign registration page of the AHS website.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

01 January 2012 04:09

Dear Harold,

Of which Clan are you a member and are speaking of?  By by what authority does your friend speak?

All the best

John

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

01 January 2012 11:11

liongam;91313 wrote:

Of which Clan are you a member and are speaking of?

In most heraldic forums, use of the word "clan" suggests an Irish and/or Scottish ancestry.  Why not approach the Irish or Scottish heraldic authorities?  I would think one of those heraldic offices would be a more suitable place for members of a "clan" to register their arms.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

01 January 2012 13:19

I am part of Clan MacMillan. As many of my family records were lost due to the war between the states it is impossible to trace my ancestry back to Scotland since the union burned much of the records that I would need. All I have is oral history an that doesn’t seem to be good enough for Lord Lyon. Our clans chief has his own herald which is not uncommon as there are others. He oversees the heraldic issues for the clan and they have come up with this as a way to make sure Americans who have assumed arms have them registered in at least 2 places and I also had to be formally "adopted" by our clan chief by way of a "bond of manrent". I know this seems a little crazy but I want to do things right as our chief and herald want them done.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

01 January 2012 15:17

What is the other place they use for registration?

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

01 January 2012 20:17

harold cannon;91318 wrote:

I am part of Clan MacMillan. As many of my family records were lost due to the war between the states it is impossible to trace my ancestry back to Scotland since the union burned much of the records that I would need. All I have is oral history an that doesn’t seem to be good enough for Lord Lyon. Our clans chief has his own herald which is not uncommon as there are others. He oversees the heraldic issues for the clan and they have come up with this as a way to make sure Americans who have assumed arms have them registered in at least 2 places and I also had to be formally "adopted" by our clan chief by way of a "bond of manrent". I know this seems a little crazy but I want to do things right as our chief and herald want them done.

No it does not sound crazy.  It sounds neat!  Can those registrations be with private heraldic societies.  Furthermore, presumably the clan already maintains it’s own armorial managed by a private herald.  Isn’t that enough at least for the non-Scotland based members of the clan (i.e., those not formally under the jurisdiction of Lord Lyon)?

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

01 January 2012 20:36

You would think it would be that simple! LOL! This is the way that they want to do it so I’m going to do my best to get it done.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

02 January 2012 01:43

harold cannon;91339 wrote:

You would think it would be that simple! LOL! This is the way that they want to do it so I’m going to do my best to get it done.

I think it’s excellent you are doing the legwork requested.

However, if this is a requirement for US members, I would think the clan herald should be able to guide you through the process and be very current (possibly in contact with) the authority where you need to register.

Of course, that’s just my typical half-empty opinion…

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

02 January 2012 01:49

Perhaps the chief herald would rather US clan members would just avoid the problem and not use arms at all?  Maybe he’s compromising by requiring two registrations against his better judgement so as not to have to be a bad guy and just reject US armigerousness out of hand? This can’t be the first such request and if no ready answer is forthcoming, or guidance, then their position might be that Americans are fickle and will lose interest after they get it out of their system. Pure speculation of course.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

02 January 2012 01:59

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;91356 wrote:

Perhaps the chief herald would rather US clan members would just avoid the problem and not use arms at all?  Maybe he’s compromising by requiring two registrations against his better judgement so as not to have to be a bad guy and just reject US armigerousness out of hand? This can’t be the first such request and if no ready answer is forthcoming, or guidance, then their position might be that Americans are fickle and will lose interest after they get it out of their system. Pure speculation of course.

WOW, I thought I was the cynic here… wink

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

02 January 2012 03:09

Not sure I agree with this line of reasoning.  If I were the clan’s herald I would want to see more armigerous clan members regardless of the source of the arms.  While a Scottish or Irish grant may be more prestigious in many circles, assumed arms are certainly better than no arms.  I can also appreciate that like Harold Cannon, many Americans may be of Irish or Scottish descent but not be able to prove it to the level of certainty required by those heraldic authorities.  Requiring two registrations is also not an inordinately burdensome requirement so long as the registrations can be through private heraldic registrars and societies where registrations are often free or reasonably priced.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 January 2012 09:28

Perhaps the chief herald would rather US clan members would just avoid the problem and not use arms at all? Maybe he’s compromising by requiring two registrations against his better judgement so as not to have to be a bad guy and just reject US armigerousness out of hand? This can’t be the first such request and if no ready answer is forthcoming, or guidance, then their position might be that Americans are fickle and will lose interest after they get it out of their system. Pure speculation of course.

No, this is clearly not the case.  I’ve had several long conversations with the gentleman in question—Scott MacMillan, formerly on the staff of the OCHI—about the project.  His aim, as we have discussed here before, is to enable clansmen to rebut the assertion of the self-appointed Scottish-games heraldry police who go around informing various and sundry people that the arms they’re bearing at games within the United States are illegal, inappropriate, out of place, whatever, if they’re not matriculated in Lyon Register.  The underlying concept is, "my chief says it’s all right, so butt out," which implicitly requires a process for the chief to determine which arms are all right and which aren’t.

Now I would hasten to add that all along there have been details in the process with which I have disagreed, but Scott has not asked for my opinion on the two-registries requirement that Harold is now citing.  Frankly, I don’t see why registering with one American society—NEHGS COH, ACH, or Augustan Society—wouldn’t be sufficient, but then it’s not my project.