My Arms by Ljubodrag Grujic

tsmith

tsmith
Total Posts:  129
Joined  08-07-2010

22 January 2012 18:23

In addition to my badge I was fortunate enough to have Ljubodrag Grujic paint my coat of arms as well.  I have posted some of these images in my design thread in the members’ section of the forum but I thought I would post them here as well so that everyone could see them.  I hope you enjoy them.  I know I have.

The full achievement:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7163/travissmithlargeach.jpg
</div>

I am blown away by the level of detail Ljubodrag put into this emblazonment.  I think the helmet is particularly stunning with the oak leaf and ermine spot vine etching and how Ljubodrag used my badge as a breathing hole.  It was only after I saw this rendering that I realized that the overall shape of my badge somewhat resembles the shape of a snowflake!

For anyone interested in seeing more of Ljubodrag’s wonderful work his website can be found here.

All the best,

Travis

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

22 January 2012 18:44

Here is just the helmet and shield:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7362/travissmithshieldhelmet.jpg
</div>

Hopefully this shows the detail on the helmet a little better.  I just think this is exquisite!

Travis

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

22 January 2012 18:49

Here is the crest:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6656/travissmithcrest4b.jpg
</div>

This falcon is one tough bird.  Ljubodrag said "The posture is ‘I guard the cross, beware.’"  I couldn’t agree more!

Travis

cachambers007

cachambers007
Total Posts:  164
Joined  04-06-2011

22 January 2012 20:54

Very nice! The intricate scrollwork on the helmet is fantastic. I also very much like the snowflake diapering on the chief of the shield.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

22 January 2012 20:57

Absolutely stunning.  I would say he’s the best digital artist I’ve seen in the heraldry world.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

23 January 2012 00:23

Fantastic emblazonment!

Travis, would you be so kind as to include the wording for your blazon of arms?

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

23 January 2012 04:45

A magnificent achievement!

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

23 January 2012 12:38

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;91937 wrote:

Fantastic emblazonment!

Travis, would you be so kind as to include the wording for your blazon of arms?

No problem.

Arms: Erminois a griffin segreant Azure armed and langued Gules on a chief Azure between two snowflakes a portcullis Argent.

Crest: A Peregrine Falcon close guardant proper belled Or resting its dexter talon on a Greek cross fleury Azure.

Any suggestions on improving the blazons are welcomed although I think it is pretty straighforward.  The one question I have is do I need to specify that the griffin’s beak should be azure instead of gules?

Travis

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

23 January 2012 12:50

As an aside - I am wondering now at my own use of the "Eagle Erect" description in my own crest. After looking at this rendition of the "Falcon Close Guardant", the position description is actually more in line with what my idea was for my crest.

Does the "Guardant" description refer to the head facing of the bird alone - or the entire attitude of the bird?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

23 January 2012 16:52

David Fofanoff;91958 wrote:

As an aside - I am wondering now at my own use of the "Eagle Erect" description in my own crest. After looking at this rendition of the "Falcon Close Guardant", the position description is actually more in line with what my idea was for my crest.

Does the "Guardant" description refer to the head facing of the bird alone - or the entire attitude of the bird?

I believe guardant always refers to an animal charge’s body in profile with face turned affrontey.

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

23 January 2012 17:24

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;91964 wrote:

I believe guardant always refers to an animal charge’s body in profile with face turned affrontey.

Hmm, seems my lack of heraldic knowledge and use of available free clipart bit me here… it seems the eagle of my crest (as I originally envisioned it) would be better described as "An American Eagle erect guardant".

I’ll have to think on this because it seems to me that the blazon of my crest is not correct now…:cry:

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

25 January 2012 08:45

Congratulations, Travis. This is spectacular work by the Professor.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

25 January 2012 10:16

A truly superlative emblazonment!

I’m found it a bit unexpected that the mantling in your full achievement is Azure doubled Erminois.  I was under the impression that a fur mantling was limited to royalty, or nobility at the least, and that we commoners had to settle for simply Color doubled Metal.

Regardless, it is an exquisite testament to Ljubodrag Grujic’s skill at his craft.

May I infer that your motto is borrowed from Romans 13:10 in the Vulgate

Pl&#275;nit&#363;d&#333; Erg&#333; Legis &#274;st D&#299;lecti&#333;

hence, love is the fulfillment of the law

cachambers007

cachambers007
Total Posts:  164
Joined  04-06-2011

25 January 2012 16:04

I thought the general rule was that the mantling was of the primary colors of the shield, or of the 1st quarter if it is quartered. Since the shield is azure and Erminois they would be the expected mantling colors.

steven harris;91985 wrote:

I’m found it a bit unexpected that the mantling in your full achievement is Azure doubled Erminois.  I was under the impression that a fur mantling was limited to royalty, or nobility at the least, and that we commoners had to settle for simply Color doubled Metal.

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

31 January 2012 12:39

steven harris;91985 wrote:

I understand the general rule the same way Chris Chambers does, i.e. that the mantling is usually the primary "colors" of the shield, here Azure and Erminois.  That being said I personally have not specified the colors of the mantling in my blazon and have left it up to the individual artist to decide how to handle the mantling.

While the English and Scottish Kings of Arms may not allow mantling doubled of a fur and the mantling "Or doubled Ermine" is limited to the Sovereign and, I believe, royal princes in Britain, it is my understanding that fur mantling is not strictly limited to royals and nobles, especially not when the fur is a primary "color" on the shield.

The Canadians certainly allow fur mantling for commoners.  Here are a couple of examples:

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=1989&ProjectElementID=6936

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=2022&ProjectElementID=7053

Either way, as I said, I certainly do not insist on erminois mantling for my arms and am quite happy to leave the question up to the individual artist’s discretion.

Quote:

May I infer that your motto is borrowed from Romans 13:10 in the Vulgate

Pl&#275;nit&#363;d&#333; Erg&#333; Legis &#274;st D&#299;lecti&#333;

hence, love is the fulfillment of the law

Your inference is in fact correct.  I chose the motto because I think it conveys nicely the perspective that a Catholic lawyer should have in approaching his work.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

31 January 2012 12:59

No, the custom, at least in England and Scotland, is that the mantling is in the principal color and metal of the shield. Furs are neither colors nor metals. One of the tinctures contained in the fur is therefore used in the mantling, the choice depending on whether the other main tincture in the arms is a color or a metal.

So the following arms would have the following tinctures of mantling:

Sable a fess Ermine: Sable doubled Argent.

Or a fess Ermine: Sable doubled Or.

Sable a fess Ermines (which would be terrible heraldry, but pedants insist it is possible): Sable doubled Argent.

Or a fess Ermines: Sable doubled Or.

Sable a fess Erminois: Sable doubled Or.

Or a fess Erminois (see comment on Sable and Ermines): Sable doubled Or.

Sable a fess Pean (ditto): Sable doubled Or.

Or a fess Pean: Sable doubled Or.

Sable a fess Vair: Sable doubled Argent.

Or a fess Vair: Azure doubled Or.

Travis’s mantling would therefore, unless specified otherwise, be Azure doubled Or.