Hello!

Johann

Johann
Total Posts:  6
Joined  09-02-2012

10 February 2012 22:55

Hello! My name is Johann. I’m an amateur heraldic artist, and a graphic designer who has recently begun to use my abilities in digital art to create my own heraldic designs. I find heraldry beautiful and greatly interesting. Recently, I’ve begun creating work for the Principality of Lichtenberg. Lichtenberg is a self-proclaimed, yet unrecognized country.

I found this forum and thought, hopefully, I may be able to learn more about heraldry. I look forward to meeting you all here! Thanks for having me!

—-

p.s. Some of my work can be seen here.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

10 February 2012 23:28

Nice looking coats of arms, Johann, but what’s this Principality of Lichtenberg business you’re talking about?

Johann

Johann
Joined  09-02-2012

10 February 2012 23:46

Thanks, Fred! Check out the link in my post. Lichtenberg is a self-proclaimed country—a micronation, if you will.

It’s a fun hobby.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

11 February 2012 09:41

You will find heraldry here -

As to the Principality of Lichtenberg, looking a bit shaky to me.  If it’s "real" then does it have a physical location? There’s no "real" information on why and what basis they have founded themselves.  Although stating they are not solely on the internet… I think you may find some skeptics related to this micronation here - and titles and what not - at least I am already…  wink

Your hearaldry design and emblazons appear decent, though.  I would be a little careful regarding usurping another’s arms.  Quarterly Or and Sable appears so basic it could be taken.  But I am no expert and a quick check didn’t find it.

Either way, Welcome aboard!

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

11 February 2012 09:59

As a generalization, anyone who is not familiar with the term micronation or micropatrology can Google it and see that there are myriads of virtual constructs that come and go and a few unrecognized entities that actually have a physical presence, occupy territory [other than one’s bedroom or apartment]. Most are harmless and are really affinity groups for folks who like to image themselves in different circumstances or roles in life, or to create imaginative new stamps, coins, uniforms, flags and regalia.

Some of these microstates are similar to the SCA

in terms of creating heraldry. Issuing false identity papers, giving false hope to refugees or scamming anyone is another matter entirely.

Johann

Johann
Joined  09-02-2012

11 February 2012 16:36

Well, Lichtenberg does not have it’s own territory, yet. A micronation could technically be anywhere. Someone could claim their own bedroom as micronationalist country should they wish. Just because Lichtenberg doesn’t have land doesn’t make it any less "real." Ideas are what the strongest countries are founded on, right? Give Lichtenberg a chance!

And Lichtenberg is definitely not harboring or giving any false hopes to refugees! Hahaha! wink

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

11 February 2012 17:53

Welcome Johann.

I think micronationalism looks like a fun hobby.

One thing I have noticed about some micronations is that they sometimes lack heralds with much more than a passing acquaintance with established heraldic rules for recognized western countries where heraldry initially developed.

This is just fine of course, but I think that any micronational (or fraternity, order, club, society, LARP, etc.) herald who takes a dive into what we might term as "real" heraldry with the intent of mastering it in its own right can bring much to back with him to enrich his own group’s heraldic practice.  You yourself may already be an expert heraldist and I make no assumption here. raspberry Though I don’t follow all of these recommendations to the letter myself, I advise others to do so unless they have specific and well thought out reasons not to, because as they stand the Guidelines on this site are effective and traditional for general American use.

Finally, glad to have another skilled graphic artist within the ranks of our members (a skill I do not currently possess).

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

12 February 2012 06:20

My comments are based on what Lichtenberg says of itself:  http://polichtenberg.com/

Quote:

Lichtenberg is not a simulation or game which only exists on the internet, a forum, wiki, or in the mind of its creator, It actually exists in the real world.

Lichtenberg was founded in 2010, by the current Sovereign Prince (Maximilian I) as a statement of self-sovereignty against some of the social laws in America which limited people’s freedom and rights.

in October of 2011 registered its state church the Church of Lichtenberg with the United States.

These three statements on their web page gives me pause up front.  1) there is an implication that there is a physical micronation. 2) There is nothing specific on what social laws they have issue with in the US (and therefore one is unable to determine any personal affinity or disagreement with their views). and, 3) If you’re esablished because of issues with the US, why register a church with the US?  Not to mention, as a US citizen, I have issues with "state churches" anyway.

Hence my skepticism.  There are other micronations that are a bit better defined and therefore easier to determine one’s interest or disinterest.  I think there is some value to the concept of micronations - and their practice - as hobby or reality.  This one has a way to go, IMHO.

To each their own, but for me - I’m much more interested in your artwork at this point…  Again, Welcome aboard!

Johann

Johann
Joined  09-02-2012

12 February 2012 20:46

Kathy, as a final point, here’s a message from the Prince himself:

Quote:

Greetings Kathy,

We hope to update our website very soon; however we wanted to get the “barebones” stuff down before we expanded.

1) Lichtenberg does not exist solely on the internet, therefore we are physical, though we do not own any land yet. A majority of Lichtenberger citizens know each other in real life; it is discussed in real life. I’m actually working on a conference on the subject of Micronationalism, hopefully to be hosted by my University or the nearby University of Michigan. I know Johann in real life, he is a good friend of mine, and he often sits here and design heraldry with me. Most virtual Micronations the citizens have never met and they just simulate a game.

2) The reason that the social issues are not posted on there are because Lichtenberg does not exist to fix social issues with the United States, the purpose of Lichtenberg has expanded, and is now an aspiring state. The reason were actually the current economic situation in the United States, the fact Homosexual couples do not have the right to marry, and women are not free to do what they want with their bodies.

3) Onto the Church, Again it is hard for someone who is just learning about this stuff not to know everything because it is not there, I understand. Church is registered in Michigan because that is where I am located. It will also be registered where we are located because we know the United States will never recognize us or our church but it we are a legal church then any weddings preformed in the Church will also be legal in the United States.

I’m glad you had a chance to post that because I’m actually writing down things we need to clarify on the website. Most of Lichtenberg is in real life, and the hard part is getting everything on to the website. I’m sorry to take up Johann’s spotlight for a moment! He is a great artist and I hope you all see him as that.

Kathy, I do hope you stick with us on the Facebook Page and keep up to date with everything in Lichtenberg! If you or anyone needs to contact me personally, my Gmail is the best route: princevonlichtenberg@gmail.com

My best wishes to you,

Maximilian

Sovereign Prince of Lichtenberg

And thanks again for the welcome. smile

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

12 February 2012 20:57

I’m going to ignore the whole "micronation" theme of this topic and just welcome you to the forum wink

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

13 February 2012 07:14

J. Stolarz;92349 wrote:

I’m going to ignore the whole "micronation" theme of this topic and just welcome you to the forum smile