95th Medical Group (Edwards AFB)

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

28 March 2012 15:31

The 95th Medical Group out of Edwards AFB (in California) is designing new heraldry.

http://www.edwards.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123295622

I find it interesting that the Air Force mandates that all of their units use Azure and Or in their designs – seems a bit too restrictive to me.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

28 March 2012 22:12

I’m rather indifferent to the USAF restriction of using at minimum the Azure and Or tinctures.

I always thought the Blue Angels color scheme looked great but, I’m not sure it really matters for individual unit color schemes that they uphold some unique AirForce attempt at being unique and special among the branches.

I guess if I were in charge of the universe and I were going to hypothetically mandate any colors for US armed forces, it would be livery colors of the US for ALL its DoD governed branches. Similarly I’d mandate State (and not US)livery colors (which would need to be determined by States) for any national guard units among the armed services.

Any distinctive heraldry from branches ought to be played out as reserved charges and devices rather than tinctures in my $0.02 worth of opinion. Though I don’t see a need for uniformity here, I think developed regulations and a strict approval process (as this article mentions) are definitely something the USAF should be commended on.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 March 2012 16:03

I’m pleased just to see a positive article reflecting a positive, thoughtful approach to the topic!

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

31 March 2012 09:49

I, too, am pleased to see that another US governmental body is adopting heraldic standards for its insignia.  However, I’m not sure why this is under the auspices of the Air Force Historical Research Agency and not the TIOH.

I’m also glad that there will be restrictions to the kinds of charges and number of elements and colors allowed, though I didn’t find any reference to adherence of traditional heraldic rules.  Specifically naming "Ultramarine Reflex Blue and Air Force Yellow" as required colors, rather than Azure and Or, makes me think it might be a little less than traditional.  Again, TIOH would be ideal for overseeing this project, but I’m still glad to have a governing body of some sort managing the project.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

31 March 2012 11:34

Chuck Glass;93025 wrote:

I, too, am pleased to see that another US governmental body is adopting heraldic standards for its insignia. However, I’m not sure why this is under the auspices of the Air Force Historical Research Agency and not the TIOH.

The standards have been in place for some years.

On the question of auspices—the Department of the Air Force is not going to allow the Department of the Army to regulate the heraldry of Air Force units.  See previous postings on this general subject for an explanation of TIOH’s role with respect to military services other than the Army.

Quote:

I’m also glad that there will be restrictions to the kinds of charges and number of elements and colors allowed, though I didn’t find any reference to adherence of traditional heraldic rules. Specifically naming "Ultramarine Reflex Blue and Air Force Yellow" as required colors, rather than Azure and Or, makes me think it might be a little less than traditional.

I’m not at all thrilled with the present USAF rules, but it’s worth keeping in mind that much of the best of classic USAF unit symbolism draws on sources other than traditional heraldry, in particular the emblems of squadrons from the period of World War II and before.

On the question of specific required shades of tinctures, this is driven by the need for standardization in production of heraldic items like patches, decals, and flags.