Design for Challis - second cousin’s family

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

05 May 2012 15:00

Doug Welsh;93309 wrote:

Introduce them to the term "Lucky Charms Heraldry".  And let them know that people who actually know something about heraldry think the idea is silly.

I shall try to be a bit more gentle…  Yep, even me…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 May 2012 15:57

Kathy McClurg;93315 wrote:

I shall try to be a bit more gentle… Yep, even me…

No reason they can’t commission an emblazonment with the particular dog standing looking at the shield, curled up at the base of the shield, anything except supporting the shield, right?  It just wouldn’t be part of the arms themselves.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

05 May 2012 18:07

Joseph McMillan;93316 wrote:

No reason they can’t commission an emblazonment with the particular dog standing looking at the shield, curled up at the base of the shield, anything except supporting the shield, right?  It just wouldn’t be part of the arms themselves.

Agree… For now, let me get it OUT of the crest smile

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 May 2012 18:43

Well, the "lucky charms" argument doesn’t work because (a) they won’t know why that’s bad and (b) that’s not what this is.

Would this work?—This coat of arms is supposed to last for generations, even centuries—that’s the point.  How are distant descendants who’ve never seen a picture of this dog, and are reconstructing the arms from only a written blazon, going to know what it’s supposed to look like?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

05 May 2012 19:17

I think the solution is to have a "dog" blazoned in their crest (symbolic for love of dogs perhaps) and then for their emblazonment, attempt to actually render the corgi/cockerspaniel/shelte mix. Just explain to them that it may look like their dog in one emblazonment, but this is not their dog’s coat of arms.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

07 May 2012 23:48

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;93319 wrote:

I think the solution is to have a "dog" blazoned in their crest (symbolic for love of dogs perhaps) and then for their emblazonment, attempt to actually render the corgi/cockerspaniel/shelte mix. Just explain to them that it may look like their dog in one emblazonment, but this is not their dog’s coat of arms.

I agree.

Back to the shield, has the armiger considered a fleur-de-fish?

Three fish placed together in the form of a fleur-de-lys?

)l(

By the way, the most commonly used fish in heraldry are the trout and the salmon.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

08 May 2012 05:13

David Pritchard;93363 wrote:

I agree.

Back to the shield, has the armiger considered a fleur-de-fish?

Three fish placed together in the form of a fleur-de-lys?

)l(

By the way, the most commonly used fish in heraldry are the trout and the salmon.

We tried it with the chalice in the middle…  They are quite happy with the Chaice charged with 3 fretted fish…  In Fridge testing with a couple others..

The father’s line has some native US genealogy as well - we are discussing some items he may wish to "give a nod" to - probably for the crest…