how would this be blazoned?

dex1

dex1
Total Posts:  24
Joined  30-11-2008

21 June 2012 13:24

inspired by this design, http://www.armorial-register.com/arms-en/myers-re-arms.html .

how would this be blazoned?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/cdex85/d1-2.jpg.

i like this as a personal arms for myself….but do not wanna copy it.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

21 June 2012 13:51

I want to take a stab at this one.  My guess would be:

Per bend barry nebully and barry wavy Azure and Argent issuant from dexter chief three piles enarched towards base the first throughout Tenne

That would be an interesting way of canting your surname "Dexter"

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

21 June 2012 14:24

j.carrasco;94223 wrote:

I want to take a stab at this one.  My guess would be:

Per bend barry nebully and barry wavy Azure and Argent issuant from dexter chief three piles enarched towards base the first throughout Tenne

That would be an interesting way of canting your surname "Dexter"

This sounds pretty good, but I notice that all three piles issue from the dexter side, none from any part of the chief. For this reason, I might have said "issuant dexter three piles enarched bendwise the first throughout."

I’ll be interested to see what others have to say.

BTW, I do like this design!

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

21 June 2012 14:25

Seems like a good start.  I’d make a single addition.

j.carrasco;94223 wrote:

Per bend enarched barry nebully and barry wavy Azure and Argent issuant from dexter chief three piles enarched towards base the first throughout Tenne

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

21 June 2012 15:18

I almost agree with Jesse’s blazon with Dale’s addition.

Per bend enarched barry nebully and barry wavy Azure and Argent issuant from dexter <strike>chief</strike> three piles enarched towards base the first throughout Tenne

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

21 June 2012 15:41

I was so close!  I tonigt about issuance from dexter side but because the first one begins in the chief area I went with dexter chief.  But I’m glad I was able to get almost everything else right.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

21 June 2012 17:20

I bet the "piles enarched" are wolf’s teeth, like in the arms of Bathory or Kinsky…

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

22 June 2012 09:49

Interesting, Michael.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

22 June 2012 10:30

Michael Y. Medvedev;94232 wrote:

I bet the "piles enarched" are wolf’s teeth, like in the arms of Bathory or Kinsky…

Well, in the arms of Prof. Myers in the link, they explicitly suggest the Sydney Opera House.

In Mr. Dexter’s proposed arms, I don’t know.  Personally, I don’t care much for the design.  It’s too busy.  The division between wavy and nebully is clever, but unless there is real symbolism behind it, it strikes me as overkill.  I don’t care for the tenne (this is merely a preference), nor the piles enarched.  If this is the starting point for a design, I’d suggest simply making the piles issuant from dexter and gules.

But the question to Charles is what does it all mean?

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

22 June 2012 17:53

I tend to agree with Benjaman. I also feel that the design is a little too busy. It would be good to know what symbolism is intended.

Artistically, I feel that the width of the nebuly and wavy partitions should be the same. I am sure that with a little tweeking it would be possible.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

22 June 2012 19:22

Not 100% fond of this design though I do like what it’s trying to do (can’t actually recommend constructive changes to you in this part of the forum, sorry).

I agree with Jesse’s blazon (awsome job mate!) modified by Dale and Kenneth as being suitable for this emblazonment.

dex1

dex1
Joined  30-11-2008

22 June 2012 21:42

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/cdex85/d1-4.jpg

i think black contrasts better.. although orange has aways been my favorite color.

Azure and Argent, blue and white colors of the us army infantry and my departments colors.

Per Bend, protection and defense represents my duty as a police officer.

Nebuly, symbolizes service as a Paratrooper. (Older bother and me both served in the 82nd Airborne.)

Wavy, symbolizes my previous profession as a commercial diver and love of recreational diving.

and the sable/tenne Enarched Piles are more aesthetic. i wanted a different look.  i was thinking a wave to symbolize my passion for the ocean. i wanted the larger pile to begin in the dexter field in reference to my surname..

thanks gents for the help and comments, please keep it coming..

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

23 June 2012 02:52

Charlie, I really want to give you constructive criticism, but it’s against the rules to do so in this forum (if you believe in reincarnation, I was a broken record in a past life). So, I can only offer destructive criticism.

Your design concept is innovative and mostly sound…. BUT….

*deep breath*

....... It’s… too busy. Too much symbolism spread out in too many symbols which, given the patterns, are not readily distinguishable from each other at a distance. The events represented and symbolised should be specific but the symbolism used for them should be general.  Sky certainly can be represented by nebuly clouds as you have done and water by barry wavy and similar, however, the tinctures themselves can allude to these things and you don’t need a geometric figure to reference each idea.  The best heraldry has each charge and tincture doing duty for multiple ideas.  Just my two cents without actually breaching the forum rules. :D

We "tend" to praise the arms that incorporate multiple ideas into the fewest and simplest design elements. Of course, that doesn’t mean an ingenious design combination doesn’t have merit (the enarched piles from dexter are not at all bad).

EDIT: there is nothing wrong with the tincture Tenne… especially in American arms which are not constrained from its use. Some people may not like it, however it’s perfectly appropriate despite issues of personal preference and taste.

dex1

dex1
Joined  30-11-2008

23 June 2012 08:10

Thanks Jeffery..this design was someting i was playing with…..still working with designs…ive probably made over a dozen maybe more.

rules…...:rolleyes:

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

23 June 2012 11:13

dex;94240 wrote:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/cdex85/d1-4.jpg

i think black contrasts better.. although orange has aways been my favorite color.

It contrasts well using this shade of blue, but since a rendering of arms is usually up to the artist there’s nothing in the blazon to indicate it shouldn’t be royal blue - which is the common way to show azure. You could blazon it "celestial blue" but that’s one of those uncommon colors occassionally used in heraldry that many people disapprove of.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

23 June 2012 13:17

The "Heraldry Police" have no authority in the USA.  Blason it as "Bleu celeste" and ignore those who bitch.