Family And Personal arms WIP

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Total Posts:  69
Joined  20-07-2012

02 August 2012 08:29

Kenneth Mansfield;95005 wrote:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/480316_10151089583225479_1679453813_n.jpg

Just a quick side note: That’s not Times New Roman.

Aye, I’ve since realized that, have no idea what font it is, and have dicided to not bother specifying the font (IF I even end up using the mark at all).

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

02 August 2012 08:47

I am considering the following:

“Azure, an Yggdrasil pierced fesswise by an arrow to sinister Or.”

I like Claus’ idea with canting and I think the tree Yggdrasil with its roots works in this regard while also referencing the Nordic heritage and include the item from the family mark.  I would also like to work in a Saxon Steed, though (without overtly stealing from the arms of Lower Saxony and without things getting too crowded.)

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

02 August 2012 08:54

Carl Alexander Roth;95008 wrote:

I would also like to work in a Saxon Steed, though (without overtly stealing from the arms of Lower Saxony and without things getting too crowded.)

Perfect for a crest!

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

02 August 2012 09:01

Jeremy Keith Hammond;95010 wrote:

Perfect for a crest!

True, but I want to crest to be personal whereas the saxon steed to be a charge as to apply to family as a whole.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

02 August 2012 09:10

I’m going to quote myself here, lol

Jeremy Keith Hammond;95006 wrote:

Good heraldry usually employs few symbols to represent multiple meanings, as opposed to multiple symbols representing few meanings.

So far with the tree, the arrow and the steed you have three symbols representing, arguably, one thing. Your heritage.

Not that it can’t be done! 8-)

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

02 August 2012 09:35

Another question:

I noticed that the arms of the Schweitzer family ( Society members ) list a Badge:

"Badge

A wolf head erased party per bend sinister Or and Azure gorged of a crest coronet Or. "

I have not found a decent explination of what this sort of badge is supposed to be in the Society Heraldry Guidlines.  Help?

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

02 August 2012 10:08

My latest thought:

Azure, an Yggdrasil pierced fesswise by an arrow to sinister Or, on a chief gules a Saxon horse rampant argent.

Thoughts?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

02 August 2012 10:12

Carl Alexander Roth;95007 wrote:

Aye, I’ve since realized that, have no idea what font it is, and have dicided to not bother specifying the font (IF I even end up using the mark at all).

For one, I have no doubt the mark was made by hand and didn’t use a "font". It may be based on a popular typeface of the time, but probably the maker was told to use an "R" and so he made one. It is condensed (narrow) and in the Romantic style (18th-19th C). Try Bodoni Condensed for a readily available close approximation.

http://origin.myfonts.net/118/fs/u/76/915a61abe3a8b96d256ec00f01a9d0.gif

Carl Alexander Roth;95013 wrote:

I have not found a decent explination of what this sort of badge is supposed to be in the Society Heraldry Guidlines. Help?

While it is really from the English perspective, I suggest - for a quick primer - this article.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

02 August 2012 21:19

Carl, I see you’ve found us while I was out on vacation and only had some limited FB time.

Unsure if/when the moderators will move this thread… So until we are reminded again ...

I think adding the horse in chief will make if very difficult to see.  I much prefer the Yggdrasil with Arrow - it’s original, clean and does represent the family well.  Have you thought of using the horse charged with something more personal or in conjunction with something more personal as part of the crest?

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

02 August 2012 21:40

I just opened a similar thread in the design section myself and the conversation was continued there : )

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

03 August 2012 02:39

Carl Alexander Roth;95014 wrote:

My latest thought:

Azure, an Yggdrasil pierced fesswise by an arrow to sinister Or, on a chief gules a Saxon horse rampant argent.

Thoughts?

Could an alternative suggestion to Yggdrasil perced by an arrow be an avil Or pierced (and I’m not going to suggest how) by an arrow Argent? The field could remain Argent although to be honest, I hate missing any chance for canting as it’s not that often these opportunities arise. You could also take the Or from the flag of Sweden with an anvil Gules pierced by an arrow Argent. You can see some examples of anvils in heraldry here, and if properly rendered, it can be a very nice charge.  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Anvils_in_heraldry

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

03 August 2012 05:48

How exactly is an ‘Yggdrasil’ represented?

Is it just a ‘tree eradicated’ or are all the ‘worlds’ included - which would make it a very complicated charge?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

03 August 2012 06:17

This discussion was moved to the design section, but ill respond by saying that the current version of the blazon is:

Azure an Ash Tree eradicated with three roots transfixed by an Arrow point to sinister Or.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

08 August 2012 09:09

Carl Alexander Roth;94947 wrote:

I am fully aware that letters are non-conventional and usually frowned upon.  The reason for it’s use is it is a family symbol that has been in use for over 150 years in Sweden for stamping products and as a seal on official correspondence.

For whatever it’s worth, here is a "armorial" of Polish housemarks:

http://www.akromer.republika.pl/herbarz_gmerki_tor.html

The "arms" of Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543) are listed under Kopernik Mikołaj .

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

14 August 2012 13:38

For anyone that may be interested, current iteration:

Arms:

Azure an Ash Tree eradicated with three roots transfixed by an Arrow point to sinister Or.

Crest:

A demi-horse forcené Argent charged on the shoulder with a letter "R" transfixed at the base of the bowl by an arrow point to sinister Sable.