Family Arms WIP

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

14 August 2012 10:48

A demi-horse forcené Argent charged on the shoulder with a letter "R" transfixed at the base of the bowl by an arrow point to sinister Sable, a label Gules for difference.

The label IMO should be treated as an afterthought. It will eventually disappear.

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Total Posts:  69
Joined  20-07-2012

14 August 2012 11:22

Current iteration:

Arms:

Azure an Ash Tree eradicated with three roots transfixed by an Arrow point to sinister Or.

Crest:

A demi-horse forcené Argent charged on the shoulder with a letter "R" transfixed at the base of the bowl by an arrow point to sinister Sable.

(Label left off for showing my father what his would look like)

Anyone willing to do up a very basic emblazonment of this so that I have something to show my father?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

14 August 2012 13:46

There are some artistic inconsistencies across the various elements as I had to draw a horse quickly and relied on Wikimedia Commons for the tree (consequently it contains more than three roots), but here is a rough idea.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2769/roth01.png
</div>

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Total Posts:  69
Joined  20-07-2012

14 August 2012 14:06

You, sir, are a true American hero.  Thanks!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 August 2012 21:58

Nice design!

As for labels & such—why bother?  Given that arms are primarily for identification and to signify family unity & pride (my words, but that’s the main idea), and that American heraldry generally follows the lead of American laws which generally abolished primogeniture at or shortly after independence, IMO adding brisures - especially within the immediate family - is just unnecessary clutter.  (Not that I haven’t done it, but years ago before I knew any better.)

My opinion of course—in the end. they will be your (plural) arms, not mine!