Finally…a design I don’t have doubts on.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 September 2012 16:58

Snyder;95561 wrote:

Blazon of Arms:

Argent a chevron cotissed Gules with three stars argent, between three Northern Cardinals (Cardinalis cardinalis) Proper.

Argent on a chevron cotised between three Northern Cardinals Gules three stars Argent.  [If you want to say "cotised Gules" and the describe the cardinals as proper, fine, but it adds an unnecessary word.]

</b>
Quote:

Blazon of Crest:

On a torse Argent and Gules surmounting a castle wall with battlements, a perched Common Black Hawk (Buteogallus anthracinus)

Rampant Proper, holding a sword, pommel of Azure and Orange, Proper

Perched meaning holding onto the wall. Perhaps "grasping" would be better?

More usual:  "On a wreath of the colors…"  I personally take the wreath/torse for granted unless specified otherwise.  Birds are not rampant, and the important thing is the position of the wings (which you don’t state).  Without a picture I’m not sure exactly what you want, but would hazard this:  "Upon a wall embattled a Common Black Hawk (Buteogallus anthracinus) [close?] holding in its dexter talon a sword all proper, the Azure and pommel Orange [or Tenne]."

Is it really essential to specify the species of the hawk?  This would be much more heraldic as just "a hawk."  The only reason to specify the Northern cardinal is to prevent an artist from emblazoning three prelates dressed in scarlet.

<b>
Quote:

Blazon of Mantling:

Argent and Gules

Not necessary; this is the default.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

04 September 2012 17:08

I agree with Joe in the Gules versus proper argument. Particularly in that you will need to specify male if you want the cardinals colored red. Even with the blazoning red, they can be depicted naturally with black highlights on the face.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

04 September 2012 22:20

I was a UH-60 Black Hawk mechanic and crew chief in the army, so my goal is to represent that through the crest. It was a life changing occupation and career and basically shaped my adult life so it holds significant meaning to me. Honestly, I don’t see any reason why it can’t just be listed as Sable rather than the species. It would make it shorter and easier.

I feel slightly embarrassed by not using the proper avian posture. My amateur knowledge shines through once again, but a valuable lesson learned on the matter.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 September 2012 23:04

Then "a hawk sable" will be perfect.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

28 September 2012 22:44

I have officially assumed my arms and couldn’t be more pleased. smile

Arms:

Argent on a chevron cotised between three male Northern Cardinals Gules three stars Argent.

Crest:

Upon a wall embattled a hawk close Sable holding in its dexter talon a sword all proper, the pommel Azure and grip Orange.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 September 2012 01:58

Good design discussion leading to a good design.

One question though re: your final blazon of the crest—is the wall embattled in the crest intended to be black?  (Nothing wrong with that, if that’s the intent; but the earlier postings, including your draft artwork and Joe’s comments on the blazon, suggested a wall "proper" (presumably white or grey).

I’m not expressing a preference either way, just suggesting that the blazon for the crest may need some tweaking to accurately describe what you have in mind.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

01 October 2012 03:40

It is indeed proper. I fear lack of sleep and staying up late allowed the thoughts in my head to go faster than fingers.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

01 October 2012 18:59

Congratulations on an excellent final design!

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

01 October 2012 20:09

Congratulations on your final design Michael.  It really is quite nice.

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

02 October 2012 00:31

Excellent design!