Joined  28-05-2009

07 October 2012 12:22

Very well said, Kathy.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

07 October 2012 17:20

But each artist has a different value on their artwork, so it’s worth different amounts depending on the artist.  My point was more so that most hobbiests don’t consider how many hours, effort, and skill they put into each piece, so a lot of time they’re selling themselves short.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

07 October 2012 18:21

J. Stolarz;96002 wrote:

But each artist has a different value on their artwork, so it’s worth different amounts depending on the artist.  My point was more so that most hobbiests don’t consider how many hours, effort, and skill they put into each piece, so a lot of time they’re selling themselves short.

Josh, simply put if there is not demand, then there is no value; economics my friend.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2012 22:13

J. Stolarz;96002 wrote:

But each artist has a different value on their artwork, so it’s worth different amounts depending on the artist.  My point was more so that most hobbyists don’t consider how many hours, effort, and skill they put into each piece, so a lot of time they’re selling themselves short.

Not a hobbyist in art myself, I can only offer the perception that hobbyists consider the enjoyment they have creating their work as a part of the intrinsic value of their work - it’s not necessarily about the funds other than maybe the ability to purchase supplies and maybe a little on the side.  Some professionals certainly retain that feeling of enjoyment and to some it has become a matter of work… sometimes they have joy and sometimes they are stymied by the desires of the client…

And Jeffrey is spot on re: professionals—their art is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.  They have to have a feel for what the market will bear like any other profession.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

07 October 2012 23:15

Every market ebs and flows.  My point is that I think most artists don’t get the credit they deserve.  Be them fine artists, photographers, or musicians, it takes a lot of effort and skill that most people don’t have.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

08 October 2012 14:39

J. Stolarz;96008 wrote:

Every market ebs and flows.  My point is that I think most artists don’t get the credit they deserve.  Be them fine artists, photographers, or musicians, it takes a lot of effort and skill that most people don’t have.

I do agree, Jesse.  And, unfortunately, as we’ve seen many artists are only truly appreciated after their deaths.

On the other hand, I think many professionals at the "top of their game" are also not well recognized—some are well paid—some are not.  But I don’t know a single person who is a highly successful professional that didn’t work hard to get where they are and "pay their dues" in many hours of effort both paid and unpaid.

I must say I do get annoyed when any one group believes that they are somehow down trodden because they worked so hard to get where they are and "obviously" no one else did…

I’m not saying you are leaning that direction, I’m just saying an empathy for many types who work long, hard, ungrateful years for success in their field should be respected by all…

On a roll in this one, aren’t I?:cool: