Desiging my CoA

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

04 October 2012 02:15

Kenneth’s emblazonments are quite nice, especially IMO the two with parted shovels overall; I also like the shovel heads, either singular or semee (but as Richard suggested, preferably of only a few).

But if shovels or shovel heads are off the table in favor of billets, another possibility might be bendy of [4 or 6 ]* Or & Sable (or whatever metal & color you might prefer—maybe Or & Murrey?), the Sable bends charged with billets Or, also bendwise (or whatever simple charge you might settle on). Or it could be Or three bends Sable each charged with 2 or 3 billets Or… *

This could be for the whole field, or if the arms are parted per fess, for whichever half you prefer to be bendy—probably the chief?

Just suggestions for your consideration ...

(*Since in either case some of the bends or bendy portions would be charged, fewer rather than many bends or bendy partitions would seem better—no more than three bends, or the bendy of six in Kenneth’s renderings.)

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

04 October 2012 18:22

Michael F. McCartney;95969 wrote:

But if shovels or shovel heads are off the table in favor of billets, another possibility might be bendy of [4 or 6 ]* Or & Sable (or whatever metal & color you might prefer—maybe Or & Murrey?), the Sable bends charged with billets Or, also bendwise (or whatever simple charge you might settle on). Or it could be Or three bends Sable each charged with 2 or 3 billets Or… *

So does this sound about right…

Or three bends Sable charged each with three billets* Or

?

*i think bendwise would be default for the billets and unneccessary to blazon

Medugal

Medugal
Total Posts:  110
Joined  09-05-2012

04 October 2012 19:37

If I have some time tomorrow I’ll try a few more sketches out based on the last few rounds of suggestions- I’m still partial to the per fess design, but that could change!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 October 2012 04:16

Jeff is of course correct as to the proper blazon—I mentioned bendwise informally, for clarity, since the discussion dealt with new arms & not sure how familiar M is with defaults.

Medugal

Medugal
Joined  09-05-2012

08 October 2012 18:28

So here are my color options, as well as a stamp that I attempted and the Tucher arms:

http://i.imgur.com/R8vbZ.jpg

I’m interested in the opinions of members before I share my own, as well as the two choices that my parents picked over (Canadian) Thanksgiving Weekend!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

08 October 2012 18:40

With humble respect and in the interest of being helpful, more and more I am beginning to dislike the per fess arrangement with the bendy in chief.

The design in chief is not either complimentary or parrallel to the design in base and thus reminds me of a platypus.

I propose a new heraldic term…

platypus arms: sticking visually unrelated or uncomplimentary items together on a shield such that aesthetic continuuity is halted or broken.

All that being said, my favorite fields in base are the Sable billety Or and the Murrey billety Or.

Medugal

Medugal
Joined  09-05-2012

08 October 2012 19:23

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;96035 wrote:

With humble respect and in the interest of being helpful, more and more I am beginning to dislike the per fess arrangement with the bendy in chief.

The design in chief is not either complimentary or parrallel to the design in base and thus reminds me of a platypus.

I propose a new heraldic term…

platypus arms: sticking visually unrelated or uncomplimentary items together on a shield such that aesthetic continuuity is halted or broken.

All that being said, my favorite fields in base are the Sable billety Or and the Murrey billety Or.

I can’t say that I disagree with you, Jeff. After reviewing this series, I can see your point that the bends worked better with the 3 charges in base. I’ll take a shot at removing them tomorrow.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

08 October 2012 22:56

Since attempts at canting have been dismissed, why not a semy of billets on a field of colour? If not already taken, a simple and distinctive design.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

09 October 2012 04:13

I don’t know, with the whole gravedigger background of these arms, the bendy design is almost light rays hitting the ground and with the sable billety Or… I’m growing rather fond of it.. Guess it’s growing on me.

And they are reflective of the Tucher arms… I vote sable billety Or as is.  Although lots of folks may call "foul" on the bends being Or and Argent…

I think I like it…

Medugal

Medugal
Joined  09-05-2012

09 October 2012 05:40

Richard G.;96046 wrote:

Since attempts at canting have been dismissed, why not a semy of billets on a field of colour? If not already taken, a simple and distinctive design.

I’ll give that a shot tonight!

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

09 October 2012 09:45

Well, just to chime in here—I like all your sketches, by the way—what if the bends were confined to a chief and the remainder semy of billets?  That might over come the chopped in half / disparity objections?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

09 October 2012 10:17

Kathy McClurg;96051 wrote:

I don’t know, with the whole gravedigger background of these arms, the bendy design is almost light rays hitting the ground….

That’s exactly the way I’ve been seeing it, Kathy - shafts of light stopping at the ground.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

09 October 2012 15:24

I do miss the skull(s) in the base, but I guess it’s because I’m a morbid guy.  LOL.

I think the Sable billety Or is the best.  Maybe it just’ because I’m used to that color scheme for you already but it’s the one that catches my eye the most.

And my least favorite is the one with the plain Or base.  That one just looks like it’s missing something and feels "off-balance" to me.

Medugal

Medugal
Joined  09-05-2012

10 October 2012 05:03

So far I’m liking the semy billets, particularly in verte with billets or.

I’ll give the bendy chief a try today.

Edit: One concern is that a coa this basic might already be taken- how could I do a wide search for a design like this?

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

10 October 2012 09:10

William de Coleville - Or billetty Gules, Piers de Coudray- Gules billetty Or, John Touk - Sable billetty Or a canton ermine, Jean IV de Beaumanoir, Monseigneur de Beaumanoir - D’azur, semé de billettes d’or.

I think you might be good with Vert billety Or.