banner of arms

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

13 November 2012 16:52

I tried my hand at a banner of my arms.  Is this correct?

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5967/bannerofthearms.png

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

13 November 2012 17:27

That looks correct. smile

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

15 November 2012 11:19

sure looks correct to me dear sir smile  nice work!

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

15 November 2012 12:28

Looking good.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

16 November 2012 10:19

You HAVE to make that.  It looks great!

That finial in the drawing…I heard once that there was something special about in military lore, but I can’t recall what that was.  Anybody know?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 November 2012 11:18

There’s nothing particularly special about the spade-shaped spearhead in U.S. military lore.  It’s just the standard finial used with colors and other non-hoisted flags by all the services except the navy and coast guard, and they use it when they’re in joint color guards, etc.  Lots of countries use spearhead finials for colors; this particular shape was popular at the time the U.S. Army instituted the use of colors so now it’s traditional (and prescribed by regulation).

That said, I’m sure the same bozos who came up with the notion that the ball on the top of a military flagpole contains a razor, a bullet, and a box of matches, or that the number of folds while folding an American flag has to do with anything other than the geometry of a 10:19 flag have also invented a symbolism for the spade-shaped spearhead.

For naval usage, see my SeaFlags website, http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/Seaflags/finials/finials.html

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

16 November 2012 13:33

I’m with you on those: the double irritation of imposing a meaning on something that didn’t particularly need one, and then claiming somwe historical or philosophical authority for said meaning.

No, this spearhead thing was more mundane than your examples.  I think I was told that the design was unchanged since colonial times, maybe even the oldest unchanged piece of military equipment we have.  But memory fails me.

Any other lore attached to it?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 November 2012 13:55

Joseph Staub;96577 wrote:

No, this spearhead thing was more mundane than your examples. I think I was told that the design was unchanged since colonial times, maybe even the oldest unchanged piece of military equipment we have.

Don’t know about its being the oldest unchanged piece of military equipment (although I’m pretty sure the Continental Army wasn’t using highly polished nickel- or chrome-plated brass), but it’s true that finials of approximately this design appear on the color pikes depicted on the original seal of the War Office, cut in 1777.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

17 November 2012 02:10

Joseph McMillan;96575 wrote:

That said, I’m sure the same bozos who came up with the notion that the ball on the top of a military flagpole contains a razor, a bullet, and a box of matches, or that the number of folds while folding an American flag has to do with anything other than the geometry of a 10:19 flag have also invented a symbolism for the spade-shaped spearhead.

[/URL]

During my time in the army I was told that the ball (truck) had everything you mentioned with the addition of needle and thread, but the practice was done on remote outposts/fire bases, not as a standard procedure.

I had the fortune of serving under a CW5 who was in Vietnam who said that they did this with the flag on their fire base, but with the addition of an 7.62mm and a .30-06 to the .45. He said the truck wasn’t water tight, so when they shut the fire base down and took the flag down, everything inside of it had rusted and useless.