blazon check, por favor

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

31 December 2012 12:04

Per chevron Argent and Vert, in chief a red fox (V.vulpes) courant proper, and in base three arrows saltire- and pale-wise with heads upwards Argent enfilling an annulet Or.

I’m not sure about the in-base part, I feel that there has to be a better way to balzon this.

Any input would be very much appreciated!

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

31 December 2012 13:08

As a general rule, two charges (well, one charge and one charge group, but who’s quibbling?) would normally fall one on either side of the line of division by default; the tinctures also pretty much make it certain that this is what would happen.  I’d recommend dropping "in chief" and "in base" from the blazon as being unnecessary.

I’ve seen three arrows like this blazoned as "two arrows in saltire surmounted by another palewise" and as "a sheaf of three arrows."

The arrows may also be blazoned as "heads to chief" or, more succinctly, "reversed."

According to Elvin’s Dictionary of Heraldry, the arrows here are "enfiled by" the annulet.  "Sometimes expressed by the term pierced through, or transfixed.  When the blade of a sword, shaft of a spear, etc., is passed through any charge, such as the head of a man, boar, etc.; it is said to be enfiled with that charge as P. 36, f. 51.  Any othe bearing may be similarly enfiled, e.g. The Badge of the Prince of Wales is three Ostrich feathers, enfiled with a Prince’s coronet."

David

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

31 December 2012 14:50

davidappleton;97104 wrote:

As a general rule, two charges (well, one charge and one charge group, but who’s quibbling?) would normally fall one on either side of the line of division by default; the tinctures also pretty much make it certain that this is what would happen.  I’d recommend dropping "in chief" and "in base" from the blazon as being unnecessary.

I’ve seen three arrows like this blazoned as "two arrows in saltire surmounted by another palewise" and as "a sheaf of three arrows."

The arrows may also be blazoned as "heads to chief" or, more succinctly, "reversed."

According to Elvin’s Dictionary of Heraldry, the arrows here are "enfiled by" the annulet.  "Sometimes expressed by the term pierced through, or transfixed.  When the blade of a sword, shaft of a spear, etc., is passed through any charge, such as the head of a man, boar, etc.; it is said to be enfiled with that charge as P. 36, f. 51.  Any othe bearing may be similarly enfiled, e.g. The Badge of the Prince of Wales is three Ostrich feathers, enfiled with a Prince’s coronet."

David

Thanks David!

I wanted to leave the ‘in chief’ and ‘in base’ out - but my blazons are sometimes critiqued when I do so.

My Parker stated that the heads up/down should be specified in the blazon since neither is used with enough frequency over the other so as to be considered the ‘default’.

So that would leave me: Per chevron Argent and Vert, a red fox (V.vulpes) courant proper, and three arrows heads to chief Argent enfiled with an annulet Or

I’m not sure about the "enfiled with" - that it doesn’t sound right be me…