João Cardinal Braz de Aviz

A. Schrɛnk

A. Schrɛnk
Total Posts:  154
Joined  27-07-2011

28 February 2013 17:49

The arms of one of the papabili, João Cardinal Braz de Aviz, currently Prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life.

Is this not one of the most interesting partings you’ve ever seen? ("Parted per the Sacred Heart"?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Coat_of_arms_of_João_Braz_de_Aviz.svg/500px-Coat_of_arms_of_João_Braz_de_Aviz.svg.png

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

28 February 2013 21:53

"Ut Omnēs Ūnum Sint" is from a Latin hymn derived from John 17:21, meaning "that they all may be one".

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

01 March 2013 00:46

The arms would have been better if he had skipped blue and interlaced rings and just gone with per fess division using the sacred heart.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

03 March 2013 01:52

IMO one of the most interesting & inventive designs we’ve seen!    I’m still digesting & not ready to say "a bit too busy" or "just right"——or maybe "just barely just right"?— but most intriguing!

My initial impression is that they likely look much better alone than they would impaled, though I haven’t seen them in that format.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

04 March 2013 17:00

I’ve never seen this line division before.  Do we know of any other examples, modern or ancient?

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

04 March 2013 19:43

Dcgb7f;97723 wrote:

The arms would have been better if he had skipped blue and interlaced rings and just gone with per fess division using the sacred heart.

I agree, particularly if the hearts were made larger so that there were less of them within the width of the shield.

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

05 March 2013 03:56

Dcgb7f;97723 wrote:

With all due respects to the symbolism, I fear my first thought on the emblasonment was that there was a line of turnips or radishes. :-?

I think that perhaps the sacred heart could be better depicted if the flames resembled such more clearly and not the stalk and leaves of a plant. Personally I think the arms would have been better with the simple Azure and three interlined rings 2 and 1 in chief a latin cross issuant from the ring in base (is that a near enough bason?).

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

05 March 2013 11:06

First of all I think that this is a very interesting parting line but imho it is depicted wrong. The normal way a parting line is depicted is with more space between the objects so that the two half fields interlock with each other. That is not the case here the hearts are to close to one and other which makes it look like separate charges on the sides of the parting line. Also the flames are loose from the hearts which makes them separate charges.