Latin—> English Translation

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

08 March 2013 02:14

Looking at the context of the motto : according to the following sources

- http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924028784738/cu31924028784738_djvu.txt

- http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/edward-d-edward-duffield-neill/the-founders-of-maryland-as-portrayed-in-manuscripts-provinical-records-and-ear-hci/page-7-the-founders-of-maryland-as-portrayed-in-manuscripts-provinical-records-and-ear-hci.shtml ,

it accompanied an image of St George, and the dragon represented "the heathenism of the Indians" (sic).  That rather suggests that the Virginia Company felt it had a Divinely ordained obligation (fas) to slay/conquer/overcome (superare) this "dragon" by evangelisation.  King James evidently thought otherwise when he vetoed the motto.

As the motto was never approved and taken into use, there may not have been a definitive English translation of it.  As Daniel says, the "worthwhile" translation seems way off the mark.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 March 2013 09:42

Thanks to all.  Might a reasonable rendering be "Another dragon must be conquered"?

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

08 March 2013 13:27

Dcgb7f;97783 wrote:

In this case, the est has been omitted

Well, sure, if they’re going to start leaving out words, then I we’ll have difficulty in translating it, now won’t we :p

Thanks for helping us out, Daniel!

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

08 March 2013 16:55

Arthur Radburn;97784 wrote:

it accompanied an image of St George, and the dragon represented "the heathenism of the Indians" (sic).  That rather suggests that the Virginia Company felt it had a Divinely ordained obligation (fas) to slay/conquer/overcome (superare) this "dragon" by evangelisation.

That, I think, is the best explanation for the use of "another" in the motto. It’s good to know the context; I would never have guessed that.

"Another dragon must be conquered"—- I like this translation… perhaps the closest natural sounding rendering of the original Latin we’re going to get in English.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

08 March 2013 17:06

Thanks again!

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

11 March 2013 08:47

Dcgb7f;97789 wrote:

"Another dragon must be conquered"—- I like this translation… perhaps the closest natural sounding rendering of the original Latin we’re going to get in English.

"must be" is certainly closer in spirit to "fas" than "is worthwhile".

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

17 September 2013 21:47

Another Latin question:  I assume IUDICA DOMINE CAUSA MEAM means "God judge my cause."  But the source I’m working from is an unclear image with some letters obscure—is the conjugation, etc, correct?  Thanks.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

18 September 2013 11:10

The verb form is correct (2nd per sing command), and Domine is rightly in the vocative ("O God"). "Causa" is missing an "m" at the end to designate it’s the object of the judging (accusative case).

All in all, it’s pretty close to Ps 42(43): Judica me Deus, et discerne causam meam…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

18 September 2013 11:40

Thanks very much, Daniel.  I’ll fix the emblazonment.  To be unveiled soon-ish—there’s some complicated drawing to be done.

Alexander Schrenk

Alexander Schrenk
Total Posts:  154
Joined  27-07-2011

18 September 2013 15:34

Joseph McMillan;100631 wrote:

Another Latin question:  I assume IUDICA DOMINE CAUSA MEAM means "God judge my cause."  But the source I’m working from is an unclear image with some letters obscure—is the conjugation, etc, correct?  Thanks.

Dcgb7f;100638 wrote:

The verb form is correct (2nd per sing command), and Domine is rightly in the vocative ("O God"). "Causa" is missing an "m" at the end to designate it’s the object of the judging (accusative case).

All in all, it’s pretty close to Ps 42(43): Judica me Deus, et discerne causam meam…

Not to be pedantic, but Domine is more properly "O Lord" than "O God."

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

18 September 2013 18:05

Alexander Schrenk;100648 wrote:

Not to be pedantic, but Domine is more properly "O Lord" than "O God."

Yes, of course.  My goof.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

31 October 2013 16:10

Got another one, a motto ascribed to the Jadwin family of colonial Virginia: Virtus diu re bona.

Anyone?

Alexander Schrenk

Alexander Schrenk
Total Posts:  154
Joined  27-07-2011

31 October 2013 18:08

Joseph McMillan;100940 wrote:

Got another one, a motto ascribed to the Jadwin family of colonial Virginia: Virtus diu re bona.

Anyone?

Re bona has to be in the ablative ("from / in a good thing"), and virtus ("strength, excellence, virtue") is in the nominative. Diu is an adverb that means "for a long time."

Putting that all together is something literally like "[There is] excellence for a long time in a good thing." I’m sure there could be a better translation but it’s sort of a tricky set of words.

Nick B II

Nick B II
Total Posts:  203
Joined  26-11-2007

31 October 2013 18:29

Joseph McMillan;100940 wrote:

Anyone?

The literal translation seems to be "You good virtues always come back." Re seems to be second person imperative of "reor," a verb related to coming back both physically and mentally. "Virtus bona" has to be vocative (otherwise they have to be nominative, which doesn’t fit with the verb), so the second person the motto is talking to has to be "good virtue." Diu is an adverb that means basically forever.

Or at least that’s what I’ve cobbled together from a combination of rusty Latin, Tufts dictionary, google translate, and several wikipedia pages.

I have no idea if there’s a good way to render this in English. The sentiment is neatly captured by the phrase "good ideas never go out of style," but that’s a much different way to say it then "Virtus diu re bona."

Nick B II

Nick B II
Total Posts:  203
Joined  26-11-2007

31 October 2013 18:39

Alexander Schrenk;100945 wrote:

Re bona has to be in the ablative ("from / in a good thing"), and virtus ("strength, excellence, virtue") is in the nominative. Diu is an adverb that means "for a long time."

Putting that all together is something literally like "[There is] excellence for a long time in a good thing." I’m sure there could be a better translation but it’s sort of a tricky set of words.

That’s a grammatical possibility. But it doesn’t sound like a very motto-ey sentiment. What’s it getting at—that if you find one virtuous/manly/etc. thing it will be a good thing for a long time?

That’s the problem with an inflected language, and very little context. Grammatically "Re" could be a couple things, and depending on what it is the rest of the words change in meaning. It doesn’t help that it’s entirely possible the motto-writer had no clue what he was doing.