United States Heraldic Registry Website Down

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

22 March 2013 14:14

I went to the USHR today and it looks like the page has been removed. Anyone know what happened?

usheraldicregistry.com

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

22 March 2013 14:30

This thread goes into better detail on that.  I was never able to get my arms registered on the site.  Tried a time or two last year.  Hopefully, all of that registry data did not just disappear.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

22 March 2013 16:55

mjsmith;98067 wrote:

This thread goes into better detail on that.  I was never able to get my arms registered on the site.  Tried a time or two last year.  Hopefully, all of that registry data did not just disappear.

A couple of years ago he contacted me to double check the blazons I’d submitted as he was having them incoporated into some kind of manuscript that he was going to submit somewhere (Library of Congress?). Sorry, I can’t remember the details now, but at the time he planned to do it every so often in volumes. So while I suspect the USHR is history, I believe the blazons have been incorporated somewhere for posterity. Of course, it could be nice if I could remember where….

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

27 March 2013 16:26

arriano;98069 wrote:

A couple of years ago he contacted me to double check the blazons I’d submitted as he was having them incoporated into some kind of manuscript that he was going to submit somewhere (Library of Congress?). Sorry, I can’t remember the details now, but at the time he planned to do it every so often in volumes. So while I suspect the USHR is history, I believe the blazons have been incorporated somewhere for posterity. Of course, it could be nice if I could remember where….

I think his plans were to send two copies - one to the Library of Congress and the other to another library I cannot remember.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 March 2013 17:29

Jeremy Keith Hammond;98142 wrote:

I think his plans were to send two copies - one to the Library of Congress and the other to another library I cannot remember.

Probably the Allen County Public Library in Indiana.  It has one of the most extensive genealogical collections outside Salt Lake City.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

27 March 2013 22:37

Joseph McMillan;98143 wrote:

Probably the Allen County Public Library in Indiana.  It has one of the most extensive genealogical collections outside Salt Lake City.

That sounds familiar. I thought it was in SLC, but couldn’t remember which library.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

04 April 2013 15:52

I called the Allen County Library and spoke to one of the librarians and she said that she was unaware of anything arranged with the USHR, but she directed me to her manager and I’m currently awaiting a call back from him. So far, it’s not looking good.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

04 April 2013 15:54

The USHR website never said it had submitted its registry - only that he was planning to.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

04 April 2013 16:00

I figured it wouldn’t hurt to make a quick call and find out if it was in fact the library and if the information has been turned over.

I’m curious though, and forgive me if this is covered in another thread, but does the AHS currently or have intentions of submitting a roll to an outside organization for public record?

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

04 April 2013 16:28

Snyder;98295 wrote:

I’m curious though, and forgive me if this is covered in another thread, but does the AHS currently or have intentions of submitting a roll to an outside organization for public record?

What roll would we submit?

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

04 April 2013 16:33

I guess that answers my question. wink I didn’t know if the AHS was keeping a membership roll together based on the arms submitted to the armorial over the years.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

04 April 2013 17:38

Snyder;98295 wrote:

I figured it wouldn’t hurt to make a quick call and find out if it was in fact the library and if the information has been turned over.

Our members roll is on public record.  It’s on the Internet.  You can’t get much more public than that.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

04 April 2013 17:42

By the way, have you folks not discovered the Internet Archive’s "Wayback Machine?"  It takes snapshots of gazillions of websites on a continuing basis and allows you to go back and retrieve things that have been taken down.  Hence the warning: once something’s on the web, it’s there forever.

Anyway, the Wayback Machine’s last snapshot of the USHR website, taken last July is available at http://web.archive.org/web/20120713005447/http://usheraldicregistry.com/

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

05 April 2013 07:08

Joseph McMillan;98304 wrote:

Our members roll is on public record.  It’s on the Internet.  You can’t get much more public than that.

This is true, but something needs to be said about having information available within a dedicated system in physical form for any number of worst case scenarios or just for posterity sake down the line.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

05 April 2013 10:24

It is good to document in several different places.  While trying to look for arms of ancestors, we all know how difficult it can be at times to find them.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

05 April 2013 13:45

J. Stolarz;98318 wrote:

It is good to document in several different places.  While trying to look for arms of ancestors, we all know how difficult it can be at times to find them.

I agree that it is a good idea to document your coat of arms. But it’s also important to vet where you do so. The first choice I would think for anyone in the United States would be the Committee on Heraldry of the New England Historic Genealogical Society.

Of the online registries, the United States Heraldic Registry (USHR) was by far the most prolific and the most reputable. Michael Swanson of the USHR was very involved here at one time and as Director of IT, he was instrumental in getting our current website set up and in maintaining the forum. Michael had some big ideas, not the least of which was his registry. But life pulls us all in different directions and in the end it seems the registry was too much for Michael to maintain by himself and he never accepted help. There are a couple of online registries still in existence and I wouldn’t go near either with a ten-foot USB cable.

First of all, if your register’s own coat of arms is as bad as this:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5315/ihrx.png

...or this:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9061/assumearmscoatofarms.png

...or is the person running the thing, in addition to being a member of a bogus chivalric order, has arms as bad as this:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2558/michaelcharlesrichardsc.png

...then I don’t see any positive advantage from being associated with them in any way shape or form. The sooner they go belly-up the better as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t have any thoughts whatsoever on the United States Armorials as there doesn’t seem to be anything there. And as near as I can tell, The Armorial Register: International Register of Arms is a for-profit venture and as a result perhaps seems to be a collection of "better" heraldry.