a stag grazing ?

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

26 March 2013 14:37

Is there a term for a stag that is depicted grazing with his head down?  Parker suggests "at bay" but other references suggest that as analogous to statant.  I also found a reference to a stag ‘browsing’ but was lacking an example.

:confused:

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

26 March 2013 15:58

steven harris;98118 wrote:

Is there a term for a stag that is depicted grazing with his head down? Parker suggests "at bay" but other references suggest that as analogous to statant. I also found a reference to a stag ‘browsing’ but was lacking an example.

:confused:

How about [wait for it] "grazing"? The battle for plain-language blazoning can begin here!

Parker also offers paissant or pascuant to describe cattle grazing. But "paissant" is absolutely certain to be misread (and probably "corrected") into "passant." Worthy’s Practical Heraldry (1889) also gives "pascuant," but he also give us such bits of silliness as a lion eating being "vorant" and a goat standing up on one leg as "clymant."

It’s not widely known, but in digital emblazonments a stag blazoned as "browsing" is depicted with a mouse in his right hoof.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

26 March 2013 16:00

I can’t find examples of arms, but there are two crests in Fairbairn’s:
Quote:

Bell, Matthew Montgomerie. Esquire, of 72, Great King Street, Edinburgh, a stag grazing ppr. Signum pacis amor.

and
Quote:

Grape, Berks, on a mount vert, a stag grazing erminois, collared gu.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

26 March 2013 16:06

joseph mcmillan;98119 wrote:

it’s not widely known, but in digital emblazonments a stag blazoned as "browsing" is depicted with a mouse in his right hoof.

ha ha!

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

26 March 2013 19:19

Joseph McMillan;98119 wrote:

How about [wait for it] "grazing"?

Yeah, that was my first thought, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t missing a more-proper term.

Quote:

It’s not widely known, but in digital emblazonments a stag blazoned as "browsing" is depicted with a mouse in his right hoof.

Bazinga!

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

04 April 2013 16:13

Joseph McMillan;98119 wrote:

Love it. :D