Arm’s for a WW2 veteran

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

10 April 2013 17:55

As apart of my massive wedding project, I’ve been designing arms for everyone in the wedding party. This is number 13 of 13.

This design is for "Barrett" and being designed around the bridesmaid’s grandfather. He served in the Pacific Campaign of WW2 as a torpedo bomber in the Navy, which in my book is something worth immortalizing if for nothing more than historical legacy. After the war he graduated Iowa State (Gules and Or) with a degree in Ceramic Engineering (the vase/vessel). The lighting bolts in the upper left are the insignia for radioman in the Navy.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/Snydercrew/barrett.jpg

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

10 April 2013 19:48

The bridesmaid’s paternal grandfather?

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

10 April 2013 21:07

Yes. Im working with her father, my brother in law, and his father and brothers. His father wanted the input of his sons on the issue.

I did arms for her maternal grandfather as well as apart of the project.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

12 April 2013 08:12

My favorite is the bottom left. Simpler design, and not that I would describe the others as "lucky charm style" - I wouldn’t - but the bottom left one definitely steers the furthest away on that spectrum by having less diverse charges.

Also - in future emblazons I recommend increasing the size of the helmet and crest substantially.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

12 April 2013 09:28

I agree with Jeremy. If I had to choose between the four, I’d go with the bottom left. Maybe you could have the Eagle holding a lightning bolt in the crest if you’d like to include that element.